Pedroia wins MVP

Jetkid94

wow...

shouldve been josh hamilton, but because the rangers arent a good team they take that away from hamilon. pedroia wins because he was on a playoff team. hamilton is by far the better player.

Have you seen Josh Hamilton since the All Star game? Or Morneau?

Unlike Morneau and Hamilton, Pedroia raised his average during the pennant drive. Both Morneau and Hamilton disappeared for long stretchs and their teams fell out of contention. Pedroia hit for average and was not too far behind in power numbers given his 5' 9" stature. Plus, he was a Gold Glove.

Pedroia is well deserving of the award.

Congrats. He deserved it.

Just goes to show imo that Jeter should have won it a few years ago.

He was deserving of it, but the Yankees ran away with the division that year. You could argue they still would have won.

Dude wasn't even in the top 25 for RBI in the AL. If they wanted to hang on a Boston players nuts they could have at least chosen Youkillis.

So?

If the MVP was given to players that compiled meaningless RBIs, A-Rod would have about 10 MVPs in a row.

He batted 2nd most of the season. His job was to get on base and score runs for the 3-4-5 hitters. He did that as he lead the league in runs scored. He also contributed 17 HRs, 83 RBIs and 20 SBs along with a gold glove.

Wow I can you all are Yankees fans...Josh Hamilton is not better then Pedroia, Hamilton isn't even best player on his own team.

Pedroia was the right choice for MVP.

Hamilton was so far and away the MVP I don't even know how to comprehend this.But baseball writers are forever loving the mythical small,scrappy infielder. Pedroia is a very good player, but he isn't the best offensive player on his team, Ortiz is.

wow...

shouldve been josh hamilton, but because the rangers arent a good team they take that away from hamilon. pedroia wins because he was on a playoff team. hamilton is by far the better player.

WAKE UP CALL ! It's the MVP award not the Best Player Award. Rangers would have sucked with or without Hamilton. Pedroia deserved it.

Hamilton was so far and away the MVP I don't even know how to comprehend this.But baseball writers are forever loving the mythical small,scrappy infielder. Pedroia is a very good player, but he isn't the best offensive player on his team, Ortiz is.

Did you even read PFSIKH 's post? He deals with facts. Maybe take off your Yankee coloured glasses and give it a read. Pedroia was VERY deserving of it. :P

WAKE UP CALL ! It's the MVP award not the Best Player Award. Rangers would have sucked with or without Hamilton. Pedroia deserved it.

If you're going to use that argument (and I'm not disagreeing), shouldn't Howard have won it over Pujols?

Maybe they should have two awards...MVP and Best Player Awards.

Funny thing is Jeter had a much better season in 2006 than Pedroia did this year and Red Sox fans deemed Jeter unworthy of the MVP. But they have now collectively creamed their pants over the mighty leprechaun winning it.

WHAT-EV-ER

Different scenarios.

It is not about the numbers. Otherwise A-Rod would be 1 or 2 every year. Do you honestly believe he has been an MVP candidate every year?

Jeter had an outstanding year in 2006. He was deserving of the award. However, Morneau deserved it more. The Twins were wallowing in 4th place over 10 games out when Morneau carried the team the last three months. The Twins eventually won the division title. The Yankees could have won without Jeter. The Sox imploded and the Yankees put the nail in the coffin with the 5 game sweep in Boston. The Yankees cruised to the division title from there.

Pedroia is deseving of the award. Both Pedroia and Morneau had great years and also had teammates that can make arguments to being the MVP. I think in the end, Pedroia's steady play and great defense was the reason he won. Given the Ramirez situation, Big Papi's sub-par year, Lowell's injuries and sub-par year, Tek's missing bat, Pedroia came through when the team needed him.

It's fairly excepeted that Jeter was robbed of the award in 2006.

I do not know.

Morneau was a beast that year. Like I said, his team was under .500 and 10+ games out in June. He was hitting .236. He hit .362 the rest of the way. He helped them win the division. Granted, they would have won the wildcard if they came up short. I think Jeter being on NY with many great players and being so good for so long probably hurt him.

Different scenarios.

It is not about the numbers. Otherwise A-Rod would be 1 or 2 every year. Do you honestly believe he has been an MVP candidate every year?

Jeter had an outstanding year in 2006. He was deserving of the award. However, Morneau deserved it more. The Twins were wallowing in 4th place over 10 games out when Morneau carried the team the last three months. The Twins eventually won the division title. The Yankees could have won without Jeter. The Sox imploded and the Yankees put the nail in the coffin with the 5 game sweep in Boston. The Yankees cruised to the division title from there.

Pedroia is deseving of the award. Both Pedroia and Morneau had great years and also had teammates that can make arguments to being the MVP. I think in the end, Pedroia's steady play and great defense was the reason he won. Given the Ramirez situation, Big Papi's sub-par year, Lowell's injuries and sub-par year, Tek's missing bat, Pedroia came through when the team needed him.

Any Yankee fan who watched a fair portion of the games in 2006 would tell you Jeter had a plethora of big late inning, game changing hits, that helped us win a lot of games that year. Quite simply he was amazing that season.

But this not about who deserved it more. Both Jeter and Morneau deserved it and I had no problem with Morneau winning it. The thing is many Sox fans were writing off Jeter as a worthy candidate (except for a few like you) because he didnt have the flashy power number stats, now that Pedroia has won it you dont hear any of that.

Its hypocritical. Hillarious also.

Any Yankee fan who watched a fair portion of the games in 2006 would tell you Jeter had a plethora of big late inning, game changing hits, that helped us win a lot of games that year and sneak into the playoffs.

But this not about who deserved it more. Both Jeter and Morneau deserved it. The thing is many Sox fans were writing off Jeter as a worthy candidate (except for a few like you) because he didnt have the flashy power number stats, now that Pedroia won it you dont hear any of that.

Its hypocritical. Hillarious also.

Well, I am above my peers brother. ;)

So?

If the MVP was given to players that compiled meaningless RBIs, A-Rod would have about 10 MVPs in a row.

He batted 2nd most of the season. His job was to get on base and score runs for the 3-4-5 hitters. He did that as he lead the league in runs scored. He also contributed 17 HRs, 83 RBIs and 20 SBs along with a gold glove.

Right. You know what I want you to do? List all of Pedroia's hits, runs, and RBIs and see if they came in "clutch" situations. That meaningless RBI statement is the most baseless thing I've ever seen.

Anyway, I think Youkilis was more deserving of the award. I think something that actually played in Pedroia's favor was his non-freakish athlete-like nature. I think the fact that he did what he did while standing 5'9" and not being a prototypical athlete impressed people even more. He had a great year...don't get me wrong...but I don't even think he was the MVP of his team.

Did you forgot Ortiz Missed the 6-8 weeks with a broken wrist and was never the same after? Pedroia was the best offensive player on his team for 2008 and it was the 2008 MVP award which Pedroia deserved.

Did you forgot Ortiz Missed the 6-8 weeks with a broken wrist and was never the same after? Pedroia was the best offensive player on his team for 2008 and it was the 2008 MVP award which Pedroia deserved.
I didn't say whow as more valuable, merely that Ortiz was the best offensive player on the Sawx. There's no argument. In the playoffs, that was proven, though the playoffs have no bearing on this.

If you're gonna go that route and get all pissy about Hamilton's team not making the playoffs, arguably Longoria was more valuable to the Rays than Pedroia was to the Sawx. Heck, the only reason the Rays came back to the pack in September was Longoria getting hurt for the month. And he still put up monster total numbers for the year. Same argument might apply to Carlos Quentin, though I don't think he had as good a season as any of the above.

Right. You know what I want you to do? List all of Pedroia's hits, runs, and RBIs and see if they came in "clutch" situations. That meaningless RBI statement is the most baseless thing I've ever seen.

Anyway, I think Youkilis was more deserving of the award. I think something that actually played in Pedroia's favor was his non-freakish athlete-like nature. I think the fact that he did what he did while standing 5'9" and not being a prototypical athlete impressed people even more. He had a great year...don't get me wrong...but I don't even think he was the MVP of his team.

Gammons made a pretty compelling argument for this as well. As a Sox fan, IMHO Pedroia was the most valuable player for the team. He seemed to be the catalyst when there were big wins. Youk had an outstanding year as well and his versatility in the field allowed the Sox some flexibility with injuries to Lowell.

IMHO this why Pedroia won.

At the All-Star break the Sox had a half game lead in the division they would quickly lose and Minnesota and Texas were in the thick of the WC race.

Hamilton: After a dynamite first half, he hit .243 in August and the Rangers went from 4 games above .500 to 5 games under .500 in six weeks. He did proove to be the most valuable Ranger, but you need to carry your team.

Morneau: Had an awesome first half was probably the leading candidate for MVP as his team was in contention for the division. His BA dropped from .323 pre-All Star to hitting .267 after the All Star game (.243 in September). Despite his drop, the team did stay in contention and lost the one game playoff. Not exactly the greatest resume.

Youk and Pedroia: Argument 1: Youk was consistent the entire year. His first half numbers are similar to his second half. Pedroia raised his game. He went from hitting .314 to .345. He came close to eclipsing or exceeding all his numbers in less games in the second half. Argument 2: Entering September, the Sox were 5 back in the division and 3 ahead in the WC. Youk had a bad September hitting only .275. His worst month. Pedroia hit .326 as the SOx challenged for the division and eventually won the WC.

I didn't say whow as more valuable, merely that Ortiz was the best offensive player on the Sawx. There's no argument. In the playoffs, that was proven, though the playoffs have no bearing on this.

If you're gonna go that route and get all pissy about Hamilton's team not making the playoffs, arguably Longoria was more valuable to the Rays than Pedroia was to the Sawx. Heck, the only reason the Rays came back to the pack in September was Longoria getting hurt for the month. And he still put up monster total numbers for the year. Same argument might apply to Carlos Quentin, though I don't think he had as good a season as any of the above.

That is not the criteria for the award. If that was the case A-Rod would have about 12 MVPs in a row.

Longoria? In the month he missed the Rays went from 2.5 games up to 2.5 games up. He missed the first Rays-Sox series which the Rays took control of the division and in the second series he was 1-9 when the Rays essentially clinched the divsion. The argument might be better if he did not hit .239 in September.

If you are going to live by the numbers, you can die by them as well.

Archived