Live chat with Eric Boland

flgreen

10:52

Moderator: Hi all. We'll get going at around 11 a.m.

10:59

how's it going everyone? boland here. Soooo, do we look back at one of the more memorable regular season wins recently for the Jets, or spin it forward to the unbeaten Titans? Or both. up to you. ready when the moderator gives the word 'go.'

11:00

[Comment From Greenbaumenom]

Erik, is spreading the Titans out the only way to beat them? They are so big in the middle!

11:02

greenbaumenom, man i'm not sure. they're giving up 13.1 points per game, by far the toughest team to score against the league. truthfully, i don't think the jets will alter their approach all that much - at least to start. i think the jets can stretch the field against the titans, too, to be honest

11:02

[Comment From Greenbaumenom]

Are the Dolphins really this good?! I can't see them beating us or the Pats.

11:04

green, wow, two in a row to start from you! well done. we'll see on sunday when they host the pats. but, look, they won 1 game last year. pennington made them better, much the way favre made the jets better. not to have THAT discussion again. but the dolphins are 100 percent more physical than they were last season and teams still haven't figured out defending the wildcat. their schedule is easy down the stretch and i wouldn't be shocked to see them come here at the end of the season playing for something. and they're better than the bills, no question!

11:04

[Comment From John Z]

Erik, the Titans top receiver is tight end Bo Scaife, a position the Jets have had trouble covering this year. If you're Mangini, do you put Ty Law on him? Their other scoring machine is Lendale White, but the Jets have been pretty effective against the run.

11:05

John Z, that's a possibility given how physical law is. law did a good job banging randy moss around last week, despite the unfair criticism he got regarding that last-second TD, when he actually had really good coverage.

[Comment From Bundgaard]

A couple of weeks ago Kris Jenkins said that he was looking forward to facing an old friend of ours - Kevin Mawae. Who do you see winning that matchup?

[Comment From JMattera]

Good morning Erik, I think the Mangold vs. Haynesworth and Mawae vs Jenkins match ups are going to make a real good show for Sunday. Who do you think gets the better of these match ups?

11:07

Bundgaard, well, if it's just mawae, it will be jenkins! but, as always, jenkins will be doubled and that's going to be one of the really good matchups on sunday to watch. i lean toward jenkins if only because no team has really figured him out yet.

jmattera, you brought up another good one. i said before the season mangold was borderline pro bowl caliber and i think he's had a quiet but really good year. sunday will be his biggest test yet. i think he'll be up for it.

11:08

[Comment From Jet4life]

Is our secondary that bad, why are teams so successful against us in the passing game? Are they going to now exploit us in the middle (Barton/Pace)?

11:08

[Comment From Chris]

How does our secondary match up against the Titan receivers? We seem to have alot of talent there with Law, Revis, Rhodes, Lowery etc... but it seems the past few weeks that Kerry Collins has been able to beat teams with his arm while they put 8 or 9 in the box to stop Johnson and White. If we can force Collins to turn the ball over that'd be awesome.

11:09Who wins the Nick Mangold-Albert Haynesworth matchup?

Mangold

( 44% )

Haynesworth

( 56% )

11:10Who wins the Kevin Mawae-Kris Jenkins matchup?

Mawae

( 0% )

Jenkins

( 100% )

11:10

jet4life and chris, well the secondary is in flux, no question. lowery has come back to earth - plummeted might be the word - and i think you might see law starting sooner rather than later. every jets opponent the rest of the way has already looked long and hard at the second half of the pats game, saying "well, i know what we're going to do."

pace, incidentally, as a 270 pound LB shouldn't be put in the position to cover as much as he did. that's not really his fault

11:10

[Comment From IRA]

erik, Its time they play Murrell in the regular base defense. Gholston is clearly not ready and they need to get some production from someone else down the home strectch. BTW my boy McKelvin had a big return last night.

11:11Will the Jets beat the Titans on Sunday?

Yes, Tennessee is not that good

( 70% )

No, the Titans are too tough

( 30% )

11:13

IRA, yes i know you liked mckelvin before the draft! as for murrell, you and i talked about him at training camp and we both like snippets of what we saw. he's made some plays on specials teams and we know that's one sure way to get noticed by mangini. truthfully, if gholston wasn't the no. 6 overall pick in the draft, he wouldn't be active most sundays. i'm NOT calling him a bust yet but that's just a reality. he's not adding anything at this point

11:13

[Comment From StuckinReno]

Erik, great work as always. I think the O needs to mix it up quite a bit, play some smashmouth and spread it out at times. Not back down, but use the speed to their advantage. That said, do you think Clowney will finally get activated this week?

11:14

stuckinreno, thanks for reading and participating.

not to be short with you, but no. i think clowney, unless there's an injury ahead of him, isn't going to see the field this season. i understand the numbers thing with not having too many WRs active for a game, but his speed is something i really would like to see out there.

11:14

[Comment From bizzythekid]

How did Ty Law fare last week against the Pats? I thought he looked decent.

11:16

bizzy, agreed. i said on our live chat last week that i thought playing law would result in a disaster and i was clearly wrong. didn't look like he'd been out for 11 months. he banged moss, a finesse receiver, around and helped limit him to three catches. yes, one of them was the 16-yard TD at the end, but that was great coverage, i dont care what anyone says

11:16

[Comment From Mike]

It seems every time Leon Washington touches the ball good things happen. I know Jones is having a fantastic year, but any way you see the Jets giving Leon more carries? Also good to see Keller involved in the offense more. Maybe the Jets can be 1 for 2 on their first round picks this year!

11:17

mike, they've definitely - and smartly - have made more of an effort to get washington the ball. to me, doesn't matter whether its with the run or the pass. right now i wouldn't take carries away from jones, but the short passes is an effective way to use washington. and on that TD pass he had last week, that was a new wrinkle, lining washington up wide right in the formation.

11:18

[Comment From eric]

One thing that I have been very happy about is that the Jets are FINALLY utilizing Dustin Keller. He is such a tough cover. Do you see them continuing to use him as they did against the Pats? Is he a future star?

11:18

[Comment From are-tee]

Erik, Keller is finally emerging as a receiving threat, but how has his blocking been? That was the rap on him - has he developed at all?

11:20

eric and are-tee, well there has maybe been a little progress along the blocking front with keller, but in truth, that's not why they drafted him. it was for what you've seen the last two weeks, which is the absolute nightmare matchup he presents for the opposition. lost in that third-and-15 conversion in overtime was that keller was hit a coupe yards SHORT of the first down and was able to break a tackle and lunge for the first down. the whitten comparison everyone made before the draft seems, at this point, to be a good one

11:20

[Comment From rhodessss]

hey e-bo.. do you think the re-emergence of abram elam has earned him a starting spot once swiss cheese erik smith comes back

11:22

rhodessss, what's up. i mean, you would think so (elam starting).

i wouldn't be quite as hard on smith but the reality is he didn't make many plays - and missed several - when he was in and elam has been pretty good. not to mention turning in two huge plays in back to back games agains the bills and rams. i can't see mangini not starting elam the rest of the way, regardless of when smith is ready. presuming, of course, elam doesn't start making a ton of mistakes

11:22

[Comment From jetsfanabe]

Eric, when are the jets going to learn about themselves that their prevent D is not working? more than half the time, prevent D gives up a touchdown in under 3 minutes.

11:24

jetsfanabe, i'm glad you brought that up. i didn't have a problem with the strategy on the moss TD, it was what led to the moss TD that was the problem. as i said in my blog, giving up the underneath stuff like that should only be used when it's fourth-and-44 and you're up seven. even bad NFL QBs can move against soft defenses

11:24

[Comment From RichC]

I am a 28 year season ticket holder for the Jets,I am surprised that NBC did not flex the Bronco game . Do you think the Jets are not that respected around the league

11:26

RichC, don't think it has anything to do with it. even though the division is average, the bears/vikings game that nbc is keeping that night means more division-wise. trust me, the jets aren't getting dissed. i think nbc just liked an intra-division matchup there

11:26

[Comment From NYJfan4life]

Hey E-Bol, The power went out in my office building and the first thing I thought was..."OH NO! I'm going to miss the live chat with E-Bol!!" Well, here's my question, for all the nitpicking of the coaching, why hasn't anyone pointed out the timing of the challenge from Mangini? Was that call that obvious from the Jets sideline? Thanks for all you do for us Jets fans!

11:28

nyjfan4life, well i'm not sure what it says about either of us that that was your first thought when you lost power. I'll have to think about that one!

as for your question, the jets, like every other team, has a person "upstairs" that talks to the coach about challenges. on the one you're referring to, that person upstairs saw the same replay we did - and you did while watching - buzzed mangini and said, in essence, "you might want to throw the flag."

11:28

[Comment From IRA]

Erik, Lets get to the point. Do the Jets win this week? I say so. I say so. Jets 23 -Titans 20.

11:30

IRA, oh man, don't I get until Friday to make my pick post? I'm leaning toward a tie, they have those in the NFL, right?

kidding. i will say this, i think it's good that the titans came back to win last week. i dont' think it would have been good to go down there with them coming off a tough loss in jacksonville

11:30

[Comment From Jet4life]

Any idea if Harris will be ready to comeback for this game?

11:31

Jet4life, well, it was two weeks ago he had the surgery and at the time it was said he would be out 2-3 weeks. mangini said harris was making "progress" but who knows what that means. i think you're looking at another week or two with harris out to be honest. but we haven't had access to players yet this week. let's see if we see him wandering around in the locker room or practice field come tomorrow

11:32

[Comment From Bundgaard]

How many balls do you think our friend Justin McCareins will drop?

11:32

[Comment From NYJfan4life]

Will McCariens do anything against us? How is he doing this year? Will he have any animosity? Or was the breakup pretty clean?

11:34

bundgaard and nyjfan4life, i'm not sure who has worse hands, mccareins or braylon edwards. sheesh. edwards at least makes his share of big plays. anyway, i jest. mccareins only has 13 catches this season but is averaging 15.7 yards per catch, second-highest on the team. so the jets can't sleep on him. as for the breakup with the jets, it was pretty clean. he wanted a fresh start, too.

11:34

[Comment From rhodessss]

what is the latest on the brett favre front? i still find it hard to believe that he will work so hard to learn a new offense, just to retire next year. i also think he has bonded with the team, and will want to give it another year to see what happens with this talented veteran team.

11:36

rhodessss, well Kerry (I can call you that, right?), I think the more the Jets win, the better the chances of him coming back. but no matter what you hear/read, he isn't going to make that decision during this season. i wouldnt be surprised if he has some kind of agreement with mike t. that says he has to decide by a certain point in the offseason, but favre isn't going to suddenly say during a week 14 press conference, " you know what, i'm playing next year." there will definitely be a "brett watch" in the offseason.

11:37

[Comment From John Z]

Did the Pats hit on a weakness with the no-huddle? They did a great job of keeping Jenkins off the field down the stretch. Seemed to be the key to their passing success. Will the Titans go the same way?

11:38

John Z, i don't think the Titans will start in that. they're 10-0 so their attitude to a degree is going to be, "we're undefeated. stop us." but as i said earlier, everyone paid close attention to what happened when the pats went no-huddle last thursday. i dont think the titans will start in it, but i think you'll see it at some point.

11:38

[Comment From upstatejetsfan08]

Hi Erik, It has been awhile since all of us Jet fans were this excited. I am having visions of a first round bye. I think the O-Line needs to play their best game of the year this week. Do you think we can run on TENN? Also a couple of quick ?'s...Do you think the Vikings regret not going after Chad? And can the Bills help us in their home games vs. NE and Miami? You are the best, thank you!!!!!

11:42

upstatejetsfan08, first, the vikings. our nfl columnist - glauber - would be better to ask that question to, but the vikings were in the mix for him and with the issues they've had at the position, i'm sure penn would have stabilized it, much as he did for the dolphins.

i think the jets can run on the titans in spots, but that's not where they're going to win the game if they do win. i don't see the titans giving up the number of long drives the pats did. the jets had four drives at least 10 plays against the pats and i don't see that against the titans.

11:42

[Comment From Coops]

Erik, any thought on the season that Shaun Ellis has had? To me, he's been one of the best DEs in the NFL this year. I know he is helped by having Jenkins beside him, but to have the amount of sacks he has from a 3-4 DE spot is very impressive.

11:43

coops, thank you for bringing him up! internally, for jets comeback player of the year, you'd have to look at ellis and bryan thomas. i'd give it, right now, to ellis. and besides the sacks, he's been very good on the run as well. he has one or two tackles for loss a game

[Comment From Lrdzz]

With Nugent getting healthy, how long do you see the Jets carrying two kickers on the team? And if one gets the boot, who do you see as the odd man out?

[Comment From JetsFanDan]

Hey Erik, how goes it? I wanted to get your thoughts on our kicking situation. It seems that Nugent is all but back to 100%, but yet Feely has the hot leg and has made some clutch kicks for us despite missing some easy ones on the season. Do we keep riding the hot leg till Feely misses a big kick, or do we throw Nugent (a slow starter) back out there and hope our kicking game doesn't miss a beat?

11:46

lrdzz and jetsfandan (welcome back!), i don't see how they can bench feely at this point. he's been on fire and you're really tempting fate by putting someone in there who hasn't kicked since week 1 and hasn't had a pressure kick all season. i think the jets will carry them both the rest of the season. if feely continues his hot "leg," if you will, he's not that old (31 i believe), which is not that old for a kicker and i wouldn't be shocked if nugent was elsewhere next season. but we're a long way from that happening. that's my thought at this moment

[Comment From Nep Oznat]

I have no questions for this chat today but I just want to express my gratitude to you, Erik, for keeping us Jets news starved fans well satisfied. ( I have tried expressing my appreciation in the comments section of your blog but it never let's me post - I get a message that I posted too many times recently yet I never posted before!) You're efforts have not gone un-noticed by us Jets fans- Thank you so much

Moderator: Hi all. We have time for one more question.

[Comment From SquishtheFish]

Hey Erik, Favre is coming off probably his best game as a Jet. I was more impressed this week, than I was against Arizona. Do you believe this is the Favre we are going to see here on out? Or does he go back to the gun slinger of a few weeks ago?

11:50

nep, thanks and that technical glitch will hopefully get worked out. i know it's being worked on. i have trouble posting too if it makes you feel better!

squishthefish, my gambling friend, how goes it. yes, thursday was much more impressive than arizona for about 20 different reasons. my inclination is that thursday is more how you'll see him used the rest of the way. he looked very comfortable with everything thursday. but be cautioned: he will throw more picks: that's just who he is. but with that, you'll also see some plays few other QBs can make.

everyone, thank you as always. we'll do it again soon. great job here and in the blog. enjoy the week

11:50

Moderator: Thanks all. Check back next week for another live chat. And enjoy this weekend's game.

Archived