Could Jenkins not make the Pro Bowl?

4HCrew

The general public voters only look at measurable numbers: sacks first, then tackles. Both of those, when close, are easily broken by a tie-breaker of who plays for their favorite teams.

I hadn't watched Cleveland much this year, but did catch most of the Buffalo game. Rogers was getting triple-teamed, it seemed, on every play & was still pushing 3 guys forward. But admittedly I fell asleep & missed the end. So I missed most of Lynch's yards & don't know how much blame would/should go to Rogers. There are 5-6 other defenders there & if Rogers is taking up a minimum of 2, and often 3, routinely then I don't know what more he's supposed to do.

It's not a knock on Jenkins, who has been nothing short of great for us. But those two are damn good themselves. The reality is they have more measurable numbers than Jenkins & that's what the public sees if they don't watch the actual games.

The general public voters only look at measurable numbers: sacks first, then tackles. Both of those, when close, are easily broken by a tie-breaker of who plays for their favorite teams.

I hadn't watched Cleveland much this year, but did catch most of the Buffalo game. Rogers was getting triple-teamed, it seemed, on every play & was still pushing 3 guys forward. But admittedly I fell asleep & missed the end. So I missed most of Lynch's yards & don't know how much blame would/should go to Rogers. There are 5-6 other defenders there & if Rogers is taking up a minimum of 2, and often 3, routinely then I don't know what more he's supposed to do.

It's not a knock on Jenkins, who has been nothing short of great for us. But those two are damn good themselves. The reality is they have more measurable numbers than Jenkins & that's what the public sees if they don't watch the actual games.

Very true.

That Matt light is again in the Top 5 is a mystery especially after being abused.

Rogers is a better pass rusher but Jenkins has done a much beter job against the run. Of course, sacks is one of the most sexiest stats in all of sports.

I think all 3 can make it. Jenkins should be there though, he is starting to get a lot of attention he rightfully deserves. Even Peter King has him in his top 5 MVP voting. Pretty darn impressive for a 3-4 Nose Tackle.

CIN has one of the qworst Run D's in the league. As you very well know the Run D starts and ends with the NT. Rodgers may pick up alot of sacks but he sucks against the run.

CIN has one of the qworst Run D's in the league. As you very well know the Run D starts and ends with the NT. Rodgers may pick up alot of sacks but he sucks against the run.

Ive watched Rogers closely and he doesnt want to play a true NT. He is still shooting gaps on a lot of plays and teams run him right out of the play. Jenkins actually committed himself to playing the position the proper way and has totally transformed our defense. You cant say the same for Rogers.

No one player is good against the run when a center, guard, and a FB (or a second guard) are on him at the same time. At some point, his ILB'ers have to do something other than stand around with their thumbs up their asses. I agree that it starts with the NT. But part of the reason he gets 3 guys on him is because he is so good; he's the one they have to keep away from the ball-carrier. The rest of it is because the guys behind him are so bad.

I'm not the champion for Shaun Rogers' cause, as I admitted I haven't seen him much of Cleveland this year. And Jenkins, IMO, is the most important off-season acquisition this team has made since Testaverde (unless anyone thinks we were going to go 12-4 & come within 30 minutes of the superbowl with Glenn Foley at QB).

He does have more tackles than Jenkins. That is likely a factor of teams attempting 8 more runs per game against Cleveland than against the Jets. Just like MLB'ers & safeties on awful run defenses rack up tons of tackles as well; it's a function of opportunity more than dominance. D'Qwell Jackson has like 100 tackles in 10 games. He blows. Jonathan Vilma II but 12 lbs heavier. Anda Davis isn't exactly pro-bowl material himself. These guys have clear lanes to the ball-carrier with a true blocker-occupying NT in front of them & all the opposition does is move the chains.

I would go even further and simply say that it's based on the names they know.

I wouldn't be shocked if the average football fan knew the names of any starting guards who were not on their team, or on a probowl roster once or twice before.

I don't know that Rogers is so much better known than Jenkins. He's bee to 3 pro bowls already & seems to get a lot more press coverage.

I'm just saying this isn't like John Lynch getting in over Kerry Rhodes.

In this case, I agree.

I was talking more generally about your response.

I don't know that Rogers is so much better known than Jenkins. He's bee to 3 pro bowls already & seems to get a lot more press coverage.

I'm just saying this isn't like John Lynch getting in over Kerry Rhodes.

Cleveland has had a lot of Primetime games this year which means a lot more coverage for Rogers. If that performance Jenkins put in against Buffalo would have happened on MNF, soemthing tells me more people would be taking notice.

Not to mention every single Jet game that is nationally televised, all of the talk is about a certain QB.

Who gives a ****.

I'm happy with the fact that he's the best D-lineman in the league, regardless of where that gets him.

I hear your point, but he should be recognized for his accomplishments as being one of the top two defensive tackles in the game.

So a lot of us give a ****.

Archived