Gary Estwick Interview - Titans Beat Reporter

Maxman

good job getting that max. I will say though, the guy sounds a bit like a homer, if it were a jets beat reporter i would think they would be more critical of their team.

That was my take, too. It's like Cannizaro during the Herm era.

Thanks guys.

Gary definitely didn't answer the 1st question. I guess that means that the Titans have no weakness. None known to man anyhow.

:)

Big thanks to Gary for stopping by for this though. Pretty cool of him.

Good get, Max.

I think the Vince Young "issue" is going to end ugly.

Should be interesting to watch it unravel.

But this is a nonsensical line: "He knows 2, 4, 1, 2-yard gains can transform into a 50-yard run with one carry."

Really, a speed back knows he can break one on every carry? REVOLUTIONARY!

Good get, Max.

I think the Vince Young "issue" is going to end ugly.

Should be interesting to watch it unravel.

But this is a nonsensical line: "He knows 2, 4, 1, 2-yard gains can transform into a 50-yard run with one carry."

Really, a speed back knows he can break one on every carry? REVOLUTIONARY!

I'm interested in the Young thing too. Too bad the Raiders wasted their first on Russell, otherwise I'd be betting Young ends up out there with Michael Vick.

Just imagine, 3 ****ty QB's in one backfield!

I'm interested in the Young thing too. Too bad the Raiders wasted their first on Russell, otherwise I'd be betting Young ends up out there with Michael Vick.

Just imagine, 3 ****ty QB's in one backfield!

Imagine the shot to the ego here. Vince Young had to think he was untouchable. They put in Kerry Collins who at one point was out of the league. The team goes undefeated.

Vince must be in a state of total shock.

good job getting that max. I will say though, the guy sounds a bit like a homer, if it were a jets beat reporter i would think they would be more critical of their team.

difference between big city/small city...north/south,,less guys cover team and their #1 mission in life isnt to expose dirt or bust balls

Imagine the shot to the ego here. Vince Young had to think he was untouchable. They put in Kerry Collins who at one point was out of the league. The team goes undefeated.

Vince must be in a state of total shock.

Good point. This off-season should be real interesting for the Titans. Hey, maybe VY learns a valuable lesson from watching the old guy sit in the pocket and let his guys make plays.

Thinkin' about it, i remember Terry Bradshaw in kind of the same situation early in his career too.

That was a good read... I'll answer the 1st question, though - Titans fans all know our weakness. The middle of the field. Our CBs play tight coverage on the outside, and they do a good job of limiting the deep sideline shots, but our LBs and safeties tend to play the run first which leaves a big soft spot in the middle of the field. TEs often have a field day with us.

Theoretically our corners could be beat deep with a double move, because they are aggressive and look to get a jump on any ball. With the pass rush we get, no team has really been able to test that. Favre can keep a play alive long enough - so I'm sure he'll try. That will be interesting to watch - if he's accurate while under pressure it could take us out of our game plan. If not, they'll pick off anything that floats.

People also tend to think our front 7 is so aggressive that they should burn them with mis-directions and screens. That also tends not to work like you'd expect, because they generally do play very disciplined and stay in their gaps. I happen to feel the way to make our defense pay for it's aggressiveness is just to keep them on the field, which of course is easier said than done. But if you can stay patient, and sustain long drives instead of trying for the home-run, then they will tire eventually. We do rotate them A LOT to keep them fresh, though... so a hurry-up offense might be needed to prevent that.

Anyway, this should be a fun one to watch. Chances are good we'll see each other again in a couple months... And about VY - I don't think any of us have a clue what will happen. We hope he's taking this chance to learn some lessons, but if KFC takes us to the Superbowl and wins it I'm not so sure he doesn't keep the keys to the car next year.

That was a good read... I'll answer the 1st question, though - Titans fans all know our weakness. The middle of the field. Our CBs play tight coverage on the outside, and they do a good job of limiting the deep sideline shots, but our LBs and safeties tend to play the run first which leaves a big soft spot in the middle of the field. TEs often have a field day with us.

Theoretically our corners could be beat deep with a double move, because they are aggressive and look to get a jump on any ball. With the pass rush we get, no team has really been able to test that. Favre can keep a play alive long enough - so I'm sure he'll try. That will be interesting to watch - if he's accurate while under pressure it could take us out of our game plan. If not, they'll pick off anything that floats.

People also tend to think our front 7 is so aggressive that they should burn them with mis-directions and screens. That also tends not to work like you'd expect, because they generally do play very disciplined and stay in their gaps. I happen to feel the way to make our defense pay for it's aggressiveness is just to keep them on the field, which of course is easier said than done. But if you can stay patient, and sustain long drives instead of trying for the home-run, then they will tire eventually. We do rotate them A LOT to keep them fresh, though... so a hurry-up offense might be needed to prevent that.

Anyway, this should be a fun one to watch. Chances are good we'll see each other again in a couple months... And about VY - I don't think any of us have a clue what will happen. We hope he's taking this chance to learn some lessons, but if KFC takes us to the Superbowl and wins it I'm not so sure he doesn't keep the keys to the car next year.

Nice first post and welcome aboard.

Great info. Thanks.

The Jets are similar with the middle of the field stuff. They keep everything in front of them and the linebackers can be exposed in coverage. The corners don't get beat deep much though.

Should be a good game. Good luck.

Very informative post, thanks. I've been impressed by you guys whenever I've watched you this year,and your DL is one of the things that stands out the most. This will be a far bigger challenge than the Pats*. Can't say I expect a win, but we are certainly capable of capable of putting you in the "L" column for the first time.

sounds like Fantasy owners should play Dustin Keller vs Tiits

Thanks... yea, this game makes us nervous. Although really every game does. Even the players are a little surprised by their season so far, which seems to have kept them from getting too ****y. Titans may not have the most talent, but (like the Jets) their OL and DL are smart and physical. That still wins more NFL games than any other factor.

I probably would play Keller in fantasy this week. Historically, this D has been able to shut down who they want - it's the 2nd tier players that make an impact, and I think they'll have to key on Cotchery and Coles. I think the only way Keller has a bad game is if the Titans establish the run and play keep-away from Favre. And if we do have success in getting pressure on Favre, that often means lots of dump-offs to the RB or TE. So even a good defensive day for TN could mean decent fantasy points for Keller or Jones.

Archived