Guns N Roses "Chinese Democracy" comes out this Sunday

Barton

Alot of Axl haters out there, and I dont blame them, but when I buy this album and listen to it I will judge the music for what it is, not for what Axl did to his old band.

Expect a song by song review from me sometime next week.

FWIW, here is Chuck Klosterman giving a review of the album:

http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/chuck_klosterman_reviews

Reviewing Chinese Democracy is not like reviewing music. It's more like reviewing a unicorn. Should I primarily be blown away that it exists at all? Am I supposed to compare it to conventional horses? To a rhinoceros? Does its pre-existing mythology impact its actual value, or must it be examined inside a cultural vacuum, as if this creature is no more (or less) special than the remainder of the animal kingdom? I've been thinking about this record for 15 years; during that span, I've thought about this record more than I've thought about China, and maybe as much as I've thought about the principles of democracy. This is a little like when that grizzly bear finally ate Timothy Treadwell: Intellectually, he always knew it was coming. He had to. His very existence was built around that conclusion. But you still can't psychologically prepare for the bear who eats you alive, particularly if the bear wears cornrows.

Here are the simple things about Chinese Democracy: Three of the songs are astonishing. Four or five others are very good. The vocals are brilliantly recorded, and the guitar playing is (generally) more interesting than the guitar playing on the Use Your Illusion albums. Axl Rose made some curious (and absolutely unnecessary) decisions throughout the assembly of this project, but that works to his advantage as often as it detracts from the larger experience. So: Chinese Democracy is good. Under any halfway normal circumstance, I would give it an A.

But nothing about these circumstances is normal.

chinese-democracy.jpg

For one thing, Chinese Democracy is (pretty much) the last Old Media album we'll ever contemplate in this context

Here's the full album streaming on their myspace http://www.myspace.com/gunsnroses

Classic Guns feel or not, it's f-ing great. :Nuts:

Thanks for the link. I'm kinda diggin' album. Some personal observations on a few tracks:

(1) Shackler's Revenge really sucks

(2) Take out the vocals, and If The World would fit nicely on a JoeBaby movie soundtrack

(3) Scraped is a fantastic track

(4) Lots of horny college students will be ruffling the sheets to Sorry

(5) This Is Love will keep Casey Casum very busy with long distance dedications

Everything else sounds like old-school GNR.

All in all it's a decent album. Axl's vocals are very strong, but the drum tracks all sound electronic.

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/10/dr-pepper-to-ma.html

Soda manufacturer Dr Pepper promised a free soft drink to everyone in America if Guns N' Roses releases its long-awaited Chinese Democracy album before the end of 2008.

Now that Axl and company have set a release date of November 23, Dr Pepper says it will make good on the offer. Those who want to claim a free soda can go to the Dr. Pepper website on November 23, enter some personal information and get a coupon for one 20-ounce drink that should arrive within the following 4 to 6 weeks. (The offer strangely said no free soda for former GNR members Slash and Buckethead.) The freebies expire in February 2009.

The band didn't know about the promotion until it was announced in March 2008. When he heard about the proposed giveaway, Axl Rose explained: "We are surprised and very happy to have the support of Dr Pepper with our album Chinese Democracy, as for us, this came totally out of the blue. If there is any involvement with this promotion by our record company or others, we are unaware of such at this time. And as some of Buckethead's performances are on our album, I'll share my Dr Pepper with him."

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/10/dr-pepper-to-ma.html

Soda manufacturer Dr Pepper promised a free soft drink to everyone in America if Guns N' Roses releases its long-awaited Chinese Democracy album before the end of 2008.

Now that Axl and company have set a release date of November 23, Dr Pepper says it will make good on the offer. Those who want to claim a free soda can go to the Dr. Pepper website on November 23, enter some personal information and get a coupon for one 20-ounce drink that should arrive within the following 4 to 6 weeks. (The offer strangely said no free soda for former GNR members Slash and Buckethead.) The freebies expire in February 2009.

The band didn't know about the promotion until it was announced in March 2008. When he heard about the proposed giveaway, Axl Rose explained: "We are surprised and very happy to have the support of Dr Pepper with our album Chinese Democracy, as for us, this came totally out of the blue. If there is any involvement with this promotion by our record company or others, we are unaware of such at this time. And as some of Buckethead's performances are on our album, I'll share my Dr Pepper with him."

i remember hearing this but i dont really wanna wait for a soda to come UPS or by mail. i might as well just buy one.

Somewhere in England, AFJetsfan is crying tears of joy.

LOL...funny thing Mavrik, is that I had really managed to not think a whole lot about the album being released when the date was announced because I figured it was a load of crap....then a few days ago I was driving my girlfriend home and going in to Wimbledon I saw this huge billboard that said "Chinese Democracy, the most anticipated album of all time" and that's when it hit me. This thing is actually coming out....and I will be there to get it on day ONE!!!

Like Barton, I'm holding off and not listening to the three or four tracks I've never heard 'til I buy the disc. Here's to hoping they hit England before prematurely ending whatever tour they launch ;o)

LOL...funny thing Mavrik, is that I had really managed to not think a whole lot about the album being released when the date was announced because I figured it was a load of crap....then a few days ago I was driving my girlfriend home and going in to Wimbledon I saw this huge billboard that said "Chinese Democracy, the most anticipated album of all time" and that's when it hit me. This thing is actually coming out....and I will be there to get it on day ONE!!!

Like Barton, I'm holding off and not listening to the three or four tracks I've never heard 'til I buy the disc. Here's to hoping they hit England before prematurely ending whatever tour they launch ;o)

I remember a few years ago when you gave me those few leaked songs like better, irs and there was a time.

Seems like yesterday.

I remember a few years ago when you gave me those few leaked songs like better, irs and there was a time.

Seems like yesterday.

Crazy how fast it goes dude...I remember seeing GNR for the first time at MSG when the illusion albums came out. They came out and opened up with night train and the whole show kicked ass...I hope this album is as good as a lot of the reviews are saying.

i know i used to always give you s*** about being a g'n'r fan and for thinking chinese democracy would ever come out. Today....you get to say 'i told you so' :cheers:

i know i used to always give you s*** about being a g'n'r fan and for thinking chinese democracy would ever come out. Today....you get to say 'i told you so' :cheers:

No need for the "I told you so's". I mean, can any rational adult blame somebody for having their doubts? I honestly thought the only way this album would come it was if Axl were to die and the record company put it out.

WTF, I listened to the album on myspace and it's complete ****. It's a weak ass version of GNR it reminds me of the crap that Metalicca has been putting out for the last few years. It's a shame that none of the good hard rock bands from the 90's can play anything worth listening to, it's all a bunch of ***** rock for the preps to play in their dooms when they're not listening to Usher. Complete ****, it just ruined my ****ing morning. AC/DC at least had a few good songs on Black Ice other then that most rock suck donkey dick, Axl's dumb ass should have put on AFD while he was writing that terd of an album. ****ing douce.

BOUGHT THE ALBUM TODAY. HERE IS MY REVIEW.

1. Chinese Democracy - Heard it a few weeks ago, at first I was like "ehhh" but it grows on you big time. Solid song, it bangs.

2. Shacklers Revenge - This song just stinks. Reminds me of a throw away on Illusions.

3. Better - REALLY good song. Will be a hit. A grinding hard rocking song with a good groove.

4. Street of Dreams - My favorite song. Great guitar, the vocals are even better. Catchy as hell. Will be a hit.

5. If the World - Solid song, has a decent groove. Not bad.

6. There Was A Time - Good song and guitar solo. Not Slash, but pretty f'ing good.

7. Catcher in the Rye - Ehhh, maybe this will grow but I dont know. Average.

8. Scraped - Not sure about this one yet, at least decent for sure.

9. Riad N The Bendouins - I need to listen to this one more.........

10. Sorry - Not bad, need more listening to it tho.....

11. IRS - Good song.

12. Madagascar - OK, i thought this was going to be really good after I heard it live years ago but it was only "pretty good" on CD. I like the lyrics but it just is missing something, like a great guitar solo. And the samples from MLK and Cool Hand Luke are alittle too long.....just overproduced IMO.

13. This I love - I like this song for sure. Not overproduced like others.

14. Prostitute - Not sure yet......not terrible thats for sure.

All in all definitely a good album. It grows on you. Only problem I have off of this is: IT NEEDS SLASH! That is just true. Too many of the guitar solos, while good for sure, are just generic and lacking. Alittle overproduced in some areas, but what the hell did you expect?

Final Grade: Axl is the best rock singer in the world. And this is the best mainstream rock album I've heard this decade. All the people who loved Death Magnetic need to chill, that sh#t aint got anything on this, just like they never had anything on the original GnR.

Dog_Doo_a.jpg

1. Chinese Democracy - After the wasted minute of it starting it starts to pick up. It's one of the better songs on the album but it falls short. If it stayed with the hard driving sound though out it would be a lot better.

2. Shacklers Revenge - This song could have been good if it was heavier and the guitar work was better.

3. Better - One of the better songs on the album, it at least songs like rock.

4. Street of Dreams - Gay ass pussified rock that should be on a boy band's album.

5. If the World - Pick a ****ing style already.

6. There Was A Time - Song is OK at best, it's just boring.

7. Catcher in the Rye - Again the songs ok but nothing special.

8. Scraped - WTF is with the singing at the start of it?? Other then that it's not bad.

9. Riad N The Bendouins - Not a bad song but it's not a homerun it's a single were most of the other songs are bunts or strikeouts. The AAAAaaaAAAaaaAAAaa I could do without.

10. Sorry - This ****ing song is pretty bad and I think they should rename the album after it. The crowd will have their lighters out to this one. If they guitar was a little heavy and blues it would be a better song.

11. IRS - Again it's nothing more then a filler song like most of the album.

12. Madagascar - Axl sounds like he's horse in this song.

13. This I love - I was waiting for the song to take off but it never did, some good guitar though.

14. Prostitute - Not that bad but again it's just an average song

Overall the album sounds like filler songs with none that are meant to be hits. After 15 years of waiting I wanted a heavier, harder more in your face style. That being said I think the album will do good with the none metalhead mainstream rock fans.

Final Grade: Axl is the best rock singer in the world. And this is the best mainstream rock album I've heard this decade. All the people who loved Death Magnetic need to chill, that sh#t aint got anything on this, just like they never had anything on the original GnR.

Bruce Dickinson is a better rock singer in my opinion. But, either way, it's just an opinion like yours. There's no definitive answer to something like that. Both Death Magnetic and this album are below average, so they're just about equal to me. Metallica, like Guns n Roses, haven't been any good since the early 90's. But I would easily take Metallica over GnR, although Megadeth owns both of 'em.

I'd take both Brave New World and A Matter of Life and Death by Iron Maiden over Chinese Democracy and Death Magnetic. I'd also give United Abominations the nod over either album.

Just saying.

BOUGHT THE ALBUM TODAY. HERE IS MY REVIEW.

1. Chinese Democracy - Heard it a few weeks ago, at first I was like "ehhh" but it grows on you big time. Solid song, it bangs.

2. Shacklers Revenge - This song just stinks. Reminds me of a throw away on Illusions.

3. Better - REALLY good song. Will be a hit. A grinding hard rocking song with a good groove.

4. Street of Dreams - My favorite song. Great guitar, the vocals are even better. Catchy as hell. Will be a hit.

5. If the World - Solid song, has a decent groove. Not bad.

6. There Was A Time - Good song and guitar solo. Not Slash, but pretty f'ing good.

7. Catcher in the Rye - Ehhh, maybe this will grow but I dont know. Average.

8. Scraped - Not sure about this one yet, at least decent for sure.

9. Riad N The Bendouins - I need to listen to this one more.........

10. Sorry - Not bad, need more listening to it tho.....

11. IRS - Good song.

12. Madagascar - OK, i thought this was going to be really good after I heard it live years ago but it was only "pretty good" on CD. I like the lyrics but it just is missing something, like a great guitar solo. And the samples from MLK and Cool Hand Luke are alittle too long.....just overproduced IMO.

13. This I love - I like this song for sure. Not overproduced like others.

14. Prostitute - Not sure yet......not terrible thats for sure.

All in all definitely a good album. It grows on you. Only problem I have off of this is: IT NEEDS SLASH! That is just true. Too many of the guitar solos, while good for sure, are just generic and lacking. Alittle overproduced in some areas, but what the hell did you expect?

6VYBW-6ewI0

Bruce Dickinson is a better rock singer in my opinion. But, either way, it's just an opinion like yours. There's no definitive answer to something like that. Both Death Magnetic and this album are below average, so they're just about equal to me. Metallica, like Guns n Roses, haven't been any good since the early 90's. But I would easily take Metallica over GnR, although Megadeth owns both of 'em.

I'd take both Brave New World and A Matter of Life and Death by Iron Maiden over Chinese Democracy and Death Magnetic. I'd also give United Abominations the nod over either album.

Just saying.

Haven't heard anything of MegaDave since he hurt his arm and ended the band. To be honest, the last few albums up til then were piss poor. Risk? Cryptic S**teings? Even the World Needs a Hero wasn't a patch on the older stuff.

Death Magnetic? It's okay - better than I thought it would be, but still nothing to get excited about.

I may get a lend of Chinese Democracy at some point.

Three days later and I still am not sure how I feel about it overall now that I have listened to the entire thing. I don't hate it, but I can't say I love it either.

I think I should listen to it some more.

The more you listen to it, the more you'll like it.

Its not great, but at times its pretty f'ing good and overall definitely solid.

I kinda even like shacklers revenge! :shock:

This album is really good. After a first couple of listens it grows on you. Better is a hit, i enjoyed I.R.S and thought sorry was a interesting dipiction of Axl's relationship with a former band member. You don't have to act all badass and say "this isn't classic guns and its not hard rock", no **** it's a album made fifteen years later with a bunch of new members. With that being said Axl is a brilliant lyricist and a even better singer. I think the album was a definate hit.

Haven't heard anything of MegaDave since he hurt his arm and ended the band. To be honest, the last few albums up til then were piss poor. Risk? Cryptic S**teings? Even the World Needs a Hero wasn't a patch on the older stuff.

Death Magnetic? It's okay - better than I thought it would be, but still nothing to get excited about.

I may get a lend of Chinese Democracy at some point.

Mustaine sold out, for the most part, following Rust and Peace. Slowed everything down and relied on his vocals, which I think was pretty good for Countdown to Extinction and terrible since then. After Countdown, they started playing with zero emotion, just boring, in order to go mainstream. I'd say with some confidence that United Abominations has the best riff-work since Rust and Peace. Sounds like it fell between Rust in Peace and Countdown, to be honest. Half is really good, half not so good.

Archived