Where do the Yankees go from here?

Jet/BosoxFan

With the $210 million ballclub already looking towards next year...one can deduce that big changes are in store. Technically, I know, there still are a few stragglers counting on a wildcard berth...but is that what the Yankees are reduced to? chasing the once formidable now totally dismantled Indians and A's for a wildcard spot? Perish the thought!

You have to assume the following will not be back with NY: the late great Bernie Williams RIP, Kevin Brown, Ruben Sierra, and Flash Gordon. Its safe to say that the Tino Martinez experiment is over as well and his "services" wont be needed.

Hideki Matsui's 3-yr, $21 million contract is also up. Perhaps he will be re-upped at a higher price-tag but thats a mistake because he's defensively challenged and will be rendered immovable with a higher pricetag.

Here is the main issue I have with all of these no-bariner moves: Does anyone think that the Yankees will spend the money they save wisely? Of course not! george will spend it foolishly! They'll bring in the oldest, most expensive, highest profile NL pitchers they can find. Read: Jason Schmidt and Roger Clemens. There ya go, you got one inury prone rightie and round 2 of Roger Dodger, you've spent the money saved by cutting Bernie and Brown loose.

Maybe they'll go after Randy Winn or Preston Wilson seeing as how they missed the boat on trading for both guys this year. Johnny Damon is clearly the BOMB CFer free agent but he'll be re-upped once the Red Sox blow Manny out of town. Neither of those guys fit the Yankee profile: An aging, future HOFer at every position that may or may not be able to get it done in a big spot.

Oh, that reminds me, Soriano is arbitration elligible and stands to make probably 12 million or so...you can get him from Texas if you wish but be prepared to part with lots of pitching and that would put the pricetag near $230. And you still cant pitch!!!

What they shold do:

1. GET THE F RID OF A-ROD ASAP. He is a cancer and he is cursed. As soon at they move him out they have a shot of being respectable again. Have him work his black magic on some other unsuspecting team.

2. If you cant (extremely hard to do) move A-Rod, move Captain Overrated (even harder to do) and have A-rod play ss. Clealry these 2 cannot co-exist. They hate each other and it has ruined the Yankees.

3. Forget holding on to AAA-level players like Wang, Cano, Melky, Duncan and so on...because look at what NOT moving them for players with actual talent and stamina has cost ya? Let's face it, they are highly unlikely to see the light of day for long as Yankees.

There ya go. Glad I can help.

Bob

Haven't you heard.....Dirty Curtie, John Wayne himself is set to join the staff as the #1 guy.

It's like adding another tool to the already formidable staff

The Sawx have nothing to worry about....now that John Wayne himself is set to go 9 :^o

Why would they be looking to next year?

They're just four games behind a team that hasn't won the division since Ted Williams' head was still attached and talking.

There's time.

Ah, I see Bitter Bob has resorted to attacking the greatest baseball player and one of the top 5 greatest human beings to ever grace the face of the Earth! The Yankee fans arent angrily gripping to hard or anything.

As I've said before...I can play at this lowbrow game too.

So Bob, have you chartered a flight with Thurmond Munson Airlines yet?

JBF - I think I'm on to you. Yup - you don't believe half of what you post. First you claim that Curt Schilling is a swell guy, then 'Lyin Larry Lucchino and now Ted Williams? Yes, I know, the "greatest hitter" ever.....did a ton or work for the Jimmy Fund - all great and admirable things. But, it is common knowledge that this guy was a dink.

Ah, I see Bitter Bob has resorted to attacking the greatest baseball player and one of the top 5 greatest human beings to ever grace the face of the Earth! The Yankee fans arent angrily gripping to hard or anything.

As I've said before...I can play at this lowbrow game too.

So Bob, have you chartered a flight with Thurmond Munson Airlines yet?

1-bob said nothing about Babe Ruth, nor did he mention Ty Cobb, Willie Mays or Walter Johnson

2-Ted Williams was a dick as a person, even Sox fans boo'd him

3-I love the munson joke :lol:

Bob

Haven't you heard.....Dirty Curtie, John Wayne himself is set to join the staff as the #1 guy.

It's like adding another tool to the already formidable staff

The Sawx have nothing to worry about....now that John Wayne himself is set to go 9 :^o

Ok, so adding Curt Schilling to a shaky rotation is a bad thing?

While the Sox have hardly been the model of consistency, all Yankee fans would have bet their left nut if we bet that the Sox would be in first by 4 games in August despite getting only 5 wins from Curt Schilling.

JBF - I think I'm on to you. Yup - you don't believe half of what you post. First you claim that Curt Schilling is a swell guy, then 'Lyin Larry Lucchino and now Ted Williams? Yes, I know, the "greatest hitter" ever.....did a ton or work for the Jimmy Fund - all great and admirable things. But, it is common knowledge that this guy was a dink.

Look...the last thing I'm going to do is spout off about the MANY virtues of sports legend/2-time American hero/renaissance man Ted Williams. The man's legacy transcends us all. He is beyond this message board.

The same cannot be said of fat slob, wouldnt-be-sh*t-if-he-played-against-people-of-color Babe Ruth. The same cannot be said of drunken scumbag Mickey Mantle. Let alone racist pig Ty Cobb. And that goes double for any other old-timer who cannot hold a candle to the Splendid Splinter.

But this thread isnt about re-hasing the ugly history of MLB. It is about looking ahead to the ugliness that will be the Yankees offseason.

Look...the last thing I'm going to do is spout off about the MANY virtues of sports legend/2-time American hero/renaissance man Ted Williams. The man's legacy transcends us all. He is beyond this message board.

The same cannot be said of fat slob, wouldnt-be-sh*t-if-he-played-against-people-of-color Babe Ruth. The same cannot be said of drunken scumbag Mickey Mantle. Let alone racist pig Ty Cobb. And that goes double for any other old-timer who cannot hold a candle to the Splendid Splinter.

But this thread isnt about re-hasing the ugly history of MLB. It is about looking ahead to the ugliness that will be the Yankees offseason.

uhh, your aware that Ruth dominated winterball with the New York Giants in Cuba, right?

same thing goes for Ty Cobb 10 years earlier when the Tigers played a Cuban all-star team

also, tell me your aware that Williams and Ruth both said Cobb was better than they were

are you aware that ice-heads best seasons came against nothing but honkeys, right?

If Williams was the GOAT, why were the Red Sox trying to trade him for Dimaggio all those years?

Not to mention the fact Williams was below average on defense, even WITH the monster behind him =D>

Willie Mays > Ted Williams

uhh, your aware that Ruth dominated winterball in with the New York Giants in Cuba, right?

also, tell me your aware that Williams and Ruth both said Cobb was better than they were

are you aware that ice-heads best seasons came against nothing but honkeys, right? Williams never had 100 RBIs in a season in the integrated league.

If Williams was the GOAT, why were the Red Sox trying to trade him for Dimaggio all those years?

Not to mention the fact Williams was below average on defense, even WITH the monster behind him =D>

No 68 year old man...I wasnt aware that Ted Williams said "Ty Cobb was better than me." Sounds kinda like BS to me, but I will take you at your word. I was aware he said Joe D was a better all around player" but regarded himself as the greatest hitter ever, which he was. Bar none.

I assumed he was too busy flying combat missions in the Korean War and fighting in WWII to compare himself to lowlife dirtbag Ty Cobb.

Was he the greatest fielder? No. Still nobody remembers that the way they remember Willie Mays stumbling and bumbling around the outfield in a Mets uniform. Your comparison is a farce.

Babe Ruth couldnt hold a candle to Teddy Ballgame on or off the field...get over it.

Why are you so afraid to talk about the Yankees upcoming offseason?

Thanks for the props from my Thurmond Munson joke.

Few things-

Williams was a great American for his service in 2 wars as a Marine pilot. And he was a great player. He admittedy was not a great father, mostly because his upbringing was so awful. Which doesn't excuse his behavior. That he was able to be anything given how bereft his childhood was is almsot a miracle.

KInda strange and sad that both Dimaggio and Williams became a way too into living their legend rather than just being. Neither had much of

family life nor any people that really loved them in the end.

One of the slurs they used against Ruth was to allege he was black(though he clearly wasn't if you've ever seen the photo of him and his father in his father's bar-look like clones!). And Ruth never had a problem barnstorming with black teams in wintertime. The guy saved baseball; he was not only the best hitter ever, but the best leftie pitcher of his time. Story on the radio yesterday recounted how with the Sawx in 1919 Ruth outpitched Walter Johnson in a 13 inning, 1-0 game.

Cobb, a racist cracker, was still very generous man to teammates like Mickey Cochrane who fell on ahrd times in their later years. The guy was a product of his upbringing, which given that his dad shot his mom to death for cheating on him was pretty harsh. Cob also as below was friendly with both Williams and Dimaggio, and even told Dmaggio to hold out for more money.

I was too young to watch Mantle. And while his talent is undeniable, how much was wasted by his own stupid behavior? Billy Crystal, Bob Costas and Mike Fatcessa have made a small fortune on the legend of Mickey Mantle, and I still don't get the mantle worship, other than these guys are making money from it.

Bottom line-Ruth was simply the best ever. After that, Mays and Williams are right there. Can't say where Cobb fits in given how much the game changed.

No 68 year old man...I wasnt aware that Ted Williams said "Ty Cobb was better than me." Sounds kinda like BS to me, but I will take you at your word. I was aware he said Joe D was a better all around player" but regarded himself as the greatest hitter ever, which he was. Bar none.

I assumed he was too busy flying combat missions in the Korean War and fighting in WWII to compare himself to lowlife dirtbag Ty Cobb.

Was he the greatest fielder? No. Still nobody remembers that the way they remember Willie Mays stumbling and bumbling around the outfield in a Mets uniform. Your comparison is a farce.

Babe Ruth couldnt hold a candle to Teddy Ballgame on or off the field...get over it.

Why are you so afraid to talk about the Yankees upcoming offseason?

Thanks for the props from my Thurmond Munson joke.

1-Williams and Cobb were good friends, Cobb talked about how they used to dicuss the science of hitting together for hours in his autobiography

2-You've done little to prove Ruth couldn't "hold a candle" to Ted, I'd hate to imagine how horrible you would do in a debate :lol:

3-The 2005 season isn't over, why would I want to talk about the upcoming off-season? I'm optomistic of 2006 anyways, no more Bernie =D>

If you'll excuse me, I have go to sign up for my Bob Ojeda boating lessons 8)

Despite the attempts of a few Yankee fans to hijack my thread and turn it into some "re-writing the history of old timer baseball" thread...I will be here to keep things on track.

This is a forecast of the upcoming Yankee offseason, which is set to begin any day now regardless of the false enthusiasm exhibited by a few of these pinstriped rubes.

uhh, your aware that Ruth dominated winterball with the New York Giants in Cuba, right?

same thing goes for Ty Cobb 10 years earlier when the Tigers played a Cuban all-star team

are you aware that ice-heads best seasons came against nothing but honkeys, right?

806 -

I am not going to get into the merits of Mayes vs Williams, but I will challenge the honkeys reference.

Go look at the Splendid Splinters numbers.

He hit everyone. By the time he returned from his second military tour of duty at the ripe old age of 35, the league was well on its way to being integrated, even if the Sox were not.

The Splendid Splinter's final seven full seasons:

1954 35 BOS AL 117 games - 29 HRs 89 RBIs BA: .345

1955 36 BOS AL 98 games - 28 HRs 83 RBIs BA: .356

1956 37 BOS AL 136 games - 24 HRs 82 RBIs BA: .345

1957 38 BOS AL 132 games - 38 HRs 87 RBIs BA: .388

1958 39 BOS AL 129 games - 26 HRs 85 RBIs BA: .328

1959 40 BOS AL 103 games - 10 HRs 43 RBIs BA: .254

1960 41 BOS AL 113 games - 29 HRs 72 RBIs BA: .316

Teddy Ballgame transcended the color barrier.

Ok, I am going to get into the Willie vs Teddy debate. Teddy was the far superior hitter and if he did not have so many seasons lost to military service, he would have approached Willie's HR totals.

What a whiny b!tch you are, Zippy! "Wahhh! That mean Bob said bad things about Teddy Popsicle!"

peters.gif

Im surprised your fingers can avoid twitching and allow you to type like that Bob since I heard youre using Lou Gehrig's keyboard.

bwa-hahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha!!!

Not to steal a line from Dennis Leary, but Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease...how the hell did he not see that coming??

Why was this thread even started?

JBF, did you give up on the Jets in '02 when they were 2-5? I didn't. Did you give up on the Sox from the day you were born until 2004? Probably not. So why would we Yankee fans give up on this year, despite how poorly they've played? Sure Yankee fans are accustomed to winning, but we're not fickle by any means.

If you must know...I did in fact give up on the Jets in '02 as soon as Chrebet tried to sunset flip over one of the Bears defenders...not when they were 2-5 as u said. Who the hell woulda thought that the season would end in a 3-way tie with the Jets winning the divison at 9-7?

I never once gave up on last year's Red Sox...not even after the 19-8 debacle.

But if the Jets or Red Sox ever turn out a product such as the gutless, geriatric, free agent mercenaries known as the 2005 NY Yankees...I would find it hard to believe in them!

806 -

I am not going to get into the merits of Mayes vs Williams, but I will challenge the honkeys reference.

Go look at the Splendid Splinters numbers.

He hit everyone. By the time he returned from his second military tour of duty at the ripe old age of 35, the league was well on its way to being integrated, even if the Sox were not.

The Splendid Splinter's final seven full seasons:

1954 35 BOS AL 117 games - 29 HRs 89 RBIs BA: .345

1955 36 BOS AL 98 games - 28 HRs 83 RBIs BA: .356

1956 37 BOS AL 136 games - 24 HRs 82 RBIs BA: .345

1957 38 BOS AL 132 games - 38 HRs 87 RBIs BA: .388

1958 39 BOS AL 129 games - 26 HRs 85 RBIs BA: .328

1959 40 BOS AL 103 games - 10 HRs 43 RBIs BA: .254

1960 41 BOS AL 113 games - 29 HRs 72 RBIs BA: .316

Teddy Ballgame transcended the color barrier.

Ok, I am going to get into the Willie vs Teddy debate. Teddy was the far superior hitter and if he did not have so many seasons lost to military service, he would have approached Willie's HR totals.

you forgot to compare their defense and baserunning ability :lol:

Wow you're a tool. They're a half game out of the wildcard and 4 games down on a team that has been to known to blow double-digit leads in the last 2 weeks of a season. It's pretty hilarious when you say Matsui is "defensively challenged" (not true to begin with) when your leftfielder is the infamous Man-Ram. That douche doesn't know where the ball is until it hits him in the head. And oh yeah get rid of A-Rod??!! ROTFLMAO!!! HAHAHAHAHA. Yes, we should definitely get rid of the guy who is going to be the AL MVP this year. Makes perfect sense. And where the hell do you come up with him being a cancer? Oh, straight out of your azz of course. That's about all of the post I read through. Saw no need to read the rest of whatever garbage was contained in it.

Wow you're a tool. They're a half game out of the wildcard and 4 games down on a team that has been to known to blow double-digit leads in the last 2 weeks of a season.

If you're going to talk about Boston's history of failures down the stretch, it would make sense to talk about the Yankees' RECENT trend this season, which is that of being the most inconsistent team in the history of baseball. A nice little spurt to make Yankee fans think the team is in it, only to realize this group of overpaid pussies have just dashed their chances once again via a sweep by a team with a payroll less than A-Rod and Jeter's combined salaries has been the overwhelming trend, and nothing the Yankees have done this season have proven this to be incorrect.

A nice little spurt to make Yankee fans think the team is in it.

Oh, so wrong again cupcake. All this from a fan of the LAST PLACE, highest payroll in the NL, MESS

AMERICAN LEAGUE

American League East

Team W L Pct. GB

Boston 71 51 .582 -

N.Y. Yankees 68 55 .553 3

If anyone really cared about the Mess, i guess we could start a Mess Elimination party

But, no one really cares about them, anyway

You must have missed my post in the other thread JonE, that party was in spring training. Along with the Beltran-hitting-.267 party and the Kazmir-already-doing-way-better-than Zambrano party.

• 3 weeks later...

Ya know, I tried to help you guys cope with the unfortunate turn that this season took for the New York Yankees and I was shown immeasurable disrespect. However, I remain undaunted in my quest to provide answers for the questions that have been plaguing Yankee fans for the past, oh I dont know, 5 years now without a title.

So, I ask you again now that you all should be ready to face facts, where do the Yankees go from here?

Do you send Joe Torre or Brian Cashman to the firing squad? Youre justified in so doing, but fat george isnt going to sit back and watch those 2 get scooped up and succeed somewhere else. Flushing, Queens anyone?

Do you broker a deal to get the lethally cancerous and totally accursed Alex Rodriguez the F outta dodge ASAP? That would be the quickest fix to your problem...but it wouldnt solve any problems. And it would be damn near impossible to find a taker.

Wanna save some payroll and cut ties with Giambi*? You wanna trade Jeter to KC for a package of young players to bolster your decimated farm team? Break off Bernie? Eat the Skullet's contract? Lowball Matsui in negotiations so he signs elsewhere and you dont have to overpay him?

All these are viable steps in the right direction, Yankee fans. I'm here to help and my door is always open.

Archived