Browns pursuing Bill Cowher already?

PFT.com

SOURCE: BROWNS PURSUING COWHER

Posted by Mike Florio on November 20, 2008, 5:00 p.m.

A source with knowledge of the situation tells us that the Browns have approached former Steelers coach Bill Cowher regarding the possibility of becoming the next coach in Cleveland.

Per the source, the Browns are willing to give Cowher a contract worth $8 million to $9 million per year.

Presumably, Cowher

cowher definitly deserves to be coaching somewhere, not sitting in the CBS studio. so seeing the chin back on the sidelines would be awesome. but i dont see how the guys he wants will be able to get out of pittsburgh.

No way Cowher diss's Mr. Rooney by taking any of his staff. I would hope there's no way Cowher would coach a division rival either. Gotta admit i've heard alot of Cowher rumors here in Cleveland lately. One guy on radio claims Cowher has bought a house here...

"a person with knowledge of the situation" or "a person(source) close to the team" both mean the same thing--usually nothing. And trust me, I know this firsthand.

Isn't saying you know this firsthand just another roundabout way of saying you are a person with knowledge of the situation? You shouldn't diss yourself like that man.:P

Isn't saying you know this firsthand just another roundabout way of saying you are a person with knowledge of the situation? You shouldn't diss yourself like that man.:P

Not of this situation, but Ive been asked by several reporters to be identified as a person "close to" a team. There really is nothing, or very little, that I know which said reporters don't already know or can't find out for themselves.

Agreed, he belongs on the field not in the booth. He'll be everyone's 1st pick. San Diego ?

San Diego.

Cleveland.

San Francisco.

Minnesota.

Dallas -- If they don't turn it around and make the playoffs and even then if they don't win in the postseason -- got to believe Jerry Jones would pursue Cowher.

Not of this situation, but Ive been asked by several reporters to be identified as a person "close to" a team. There really is nothing, or very little, that I know which said reporters don't already know or can't find out for themselves.

u mean he isnt looking at Syracuse :rl:

u mean he isnt looking at Syracuse :rl:

Haha. Unfortunately not.

As I said, I wasn't referring to this situation, just in general terms, "a source close to the team" or "a source with knowledge" usually can be more accurately described as "this is what I think, so Im going to ask some nobody employed by said team, said person, or the company which said person works for, and ask them if my story is 'possible'". IOTW, it usually means nothing.

I've heard Cowher say - a couple of times - on the pre-game show - that he's not really thinking about a return 'till 2010. I suppose that obscene amounts of money can make a man rethink that though.

he is loaded and he can pick and choose.

He really likes CBS gig..he was on Carton/Boomer this am

I've heard Cowher say - a couple of times - on the pre-game show - that he's not really thinking about a return 'till 2010. I suppose that obscene amounts of money can make a man rethink that though.

I know for a fact, he promised wife to take a 2 year break,,

now of course that could change..

but he definitly is playing the suburban relaxed guy around town..see him here all week except for tv gig.. golf, restaurants, malls etc..

he may just be waiting for the only job he has told friends he would consider to open,,Panthers job. right now tha tlooks iffy,,but I GUARANTEE if Panthers play one and done in playoffs, Cowher will be helicopteringt between Raleigh/Charalote next year

I know for a fact, he promised wife to take a 2 year break,,

now of course that could change..

but he definitly is playing the suburban relaxed guy around town..see him here all week except for tv gig.. golf, restaurants, malls etc..

he may just be waiting for the only job he has told friends he would consider to open,,Panthers job. right now tha tlooks iffy,,but I GUARANTEE if Panthers play one and done in playoffs, Cowher will be helicopteringt between Raleigh/Charalote next year

Hey SJ since you were dead on with his retirement and seem to have the info, any truth to the rumor he bought property in Strongsville OH?

Hey SJ since you were dead on with his retirement and seem to have the info, any truth to the rumor he bought property in Strongsville OH?

no clue..

i know he already sold his house and is built anew one a few blocks away..

these guys are all tied together investment wise,,i remember howie long buyin property here years ago cause he said 'one the guys said raleigh hot',,maybe strongville is 'hot' for some reason''

but he wouldnt buy under his name anyways,,they never do,,cowhers stuff isunder his kids first names in a trust

no clue..

i know he already sold his house and is built anew one a few blocks away..

these guys are all tied together investment wise,,i remember howie long buyin property here years ago cause he said 'one the guys said raleigh hot',,maybe strongville is 'hot' for some reason''

but he wouldnt buy under his name anyways,,they never do,,cowhers stuff isunder his kids first names in a trust

Oh, OK. That rumor has been floating around here for at least a month or so, was curious cause' there's no way of getting it confirmed apparently.

If Cowher joins ANY division rival i would view that as the ultimate disrespect to the Rooney family. Dan Rooney stood by him through alot of AFCC heartbreaks when many of us Steelers fans wanted him fired.

Oh, OK. That rumor has been floating around here for at least a month or so, was curious cause' there's no way of getting it confirmed apparently.

If Cowher joins ANY division rival i would view that as the ultimate disrespect to the Rooney family. Dan Rooney stood by him through alot of AFCC heartbreaks when many of us Steelers fans wanted him fired.

wont happen,,he loves the rooneys,,left on great terms,,browns probably least likely team he would coach for ..

Doesn't sound like he'd take the Browns job, or even coach this year. He could secretly be waiting to see if Tomlin gets fired, and then take over again for the Steelers. Not sure if that would happen though. Seemed to me like Cowher just needed a break after winning the SB.

Doesn't sound like he'd take the Browns job, or even coach this year. He could secretly be waiting to see if Tomlin gets fired, and then take over again for the Steelers. Not sure if that would happen though. Seemed to me like Cowher just needed a break after winning the SB.

Haha that would make it interesting. I could guarantee his first move would be to fire Bruce Arians. "Wha?? Passing first to set up the run ??? F that!" lol

Archived