Ainge Suspended

Boynton Beach Jets

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/blog/

Ainge suspended

A second Jet, this time quarterback Erik Ainge, has been found in violation of the NFL's drug policy.

From the NFL late this afternoon:

"Erik Ainge of the New York Jets has been suspended without pay for four games for violating the NFL Policy on Steroids and Related Substances.

Ainge’s suspension begins immediately. He will be eligible to rejoin the team on Monday, December 15, following the Jets’ December 14 game against the Buffalo Bills."

The suspension has no immediate impact on the roster as Ainge was put on the injured reserve Oct. 29 with a foot injury. The other Jet to be suspended was running back Jesse Chatman - also put on the injured reserved Oct. 29 - who missed the first four games of the season.

Ainge suspended

A second Jet, this time quarterback Erik Ainge, has been found in violation of the NFL's drug policy.

"Erik Ainge of the New York Jets has been suspended without pay for four games for violating the NFL Policy on Steroids and Related Substances.

Ainge

Ainge suspended

Ainge

Steroids because he has a NOOOOOOOOODLE arm just like Pennington.

Leave my Vol qb alone boys. Chads arm was never as powerful as Erik's on its best day honestly. I watched this kid for 4 yrs every saturday. No cannon true but can make all the throws believe me. Thai Jet you know its true lol.:) No noodle just not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Sucks for him,doesnt help his career next year with us...

Is it just me or does ESPN.com just suck. Everything I click on an espn.com link my whole brower lags and freezes.

Its a very intense site for a computer that doesnt have great equipment... I always wondered why they would alienate half the country...

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets rookie quarterback Erik Ainge was suspended four games by the NFL on Friday for violating the league's policy on steroids and related substances.

11396.jpg Ainge

Ainge, already on injured reserve and out for the season with a foot injury, is not allowed to be with the team or at its facility during the suspension. He'll be eligible to rejoin the team Dec. 15, following the Jets' game against Buffalo."We respect the league's decision and look forward to Erik's return," Jets spokesman Bruce Speight said.

Ainge, a fifth-round pick out of Tennessee, was inactive for the team's first seven games before injuring his right foot.

Jimmy Sexton, Ainge's agent, did not immediately return a message left at his office seeking comment.

Ainge is the second Jets player suspended this season. Running back Jesse Chatman was banned for the first four games without pay for also violating the league's steroids and related-substances policy.

Until Ainge's injury, the Jets were carrying four quarterbacks on their active roster. The nephew of Danny Ainge, the former Boston star and current Celtics president of basketball operations, still may work into the Jets' future plans despite the suspension and being buried on the depth chart behind Brett Favre, Kellen Clemens and Brett Ratliff.

New York liked Ainge's presence in the huddle, passing accuracy and ability to keep mistakes to a minimum. He ranks third in Tennessee history behind Peyton Manning and Casey Clausen with 8,700 yards passing. Ainge also threw for 3,522 yards, 31 touchdowns and just 10 interceptions last season, all while playing with a broken pinkie on his throwing hand.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

So how does this affect his future with the team? Is he still in the Jets' plans as being in the running to be starting QB some day?

Do you want your team leader to be someone who is starting off with illegal substances right at the beginning of his career?

So how does this affect his future with the team? Is he still in the Jets' plans as being in the running to be starting QB some day?

Do you want your team leader to be someone who is starting off with illegal substances right at the beginning of his career?

I doubt it changes anything with him. Lots of players get suspended these days with little to no impact on their careers.

He will still be 4th on the depth chart when he gets back and next year.

I was very impressed with Ainge in the last exhibition game against the Eagles. Of course the Eagles were not playing their starters. I am very curious to see how he does this off-season and next preseason,

Ratliff played well against backups and scrubs and people have him pegged to be the next great QB so anything is possible with Ainge.

I think next year there will be battles for the 2 & 3 spot for the QB position assuming Favre returns

I believe that is true. And who wins the #2 spot is likely to be heir apparent when Favre retires, which might well be at the end of 2009.

Which brings up this issue. I realize that other players get suspended for steroids and resume their career with no fuss at all. But these players are far more replaceable than the starting QB.

If I were the Jets, I would be having second thoughts about putting this kid in the mix to take over after Favre retires. What if you commit yourself to Ainge and he gets caught again and is thrown out of the NFL?

Wouldn't you want to start the post Favre era with a QB you don't have to worry about with these things?

I believe that is true. And who wins the #2 spot is likely to be heir apparent when Favre retires, which might well be at the end of 2009.

Which brings up this issue. I realize that other players get suspended for steroids and resume their career with no fuss at all. But these players are far more replaceable than the starting QB.

If I were the Jets, I would be having second thoughts about putting this kid in the mix to take over after Favre retires. What if you commit yourself to Ainge and he gets caught again and is thrown out of the NFL?

Wouldn't you want to start the post Favre era with a QB you don't have to worry about with these things?

There has to be a consideration of possible future violations, but it cannot be the overriding factor. If he proves himself to be the best QB available for us, you go with him and take the risk that he doesnt f#ck up again.

I am sure his violation has to do with him rehabbing from the injury, I am sure he and the Jets know this.

Archived