blaylock says we'll forget about lamont....

spjets

March 4, 2005 -- For those Jets fans fretting and bemoaning the loss of LaMont Jordan to the Raiders, let Jordan's replacement, Derrick Blaylock, tell you what's in store.

"They'll see. Once they see me on the field and see what I can do, they'll understand that they have a good thing in Derrick Blaylock," Blaylock told The Post yesterday.

The Jets signed Blaylock to a five-year, $11.1 million contract that includes a signing bonus of $3.2 million, a nice chunk of change for a backup running back. Blaylock will be more than worth the investment if he can do for Curtis Martin what Jordan did: provide a solid alternative in the ground game.

Blaylock is accustomed to playing behind Pro Bowl-type runners, as he spent his first three NFL seasons in Kansas City watching, learning and getting the ball behind Priest Holmes. Now he gets to be Martin's caddy

Blaylocks agent said he is going to get 10 - 15 carries a game. Lamont saw maybe 5 and the Jets plan on passing more this year. I think he is a little off in his estimation of the workload.

Curtis Martin would have to be in a wheel-chair before this HC allows another RB to Get 10 carries in a Game, much less 15

Heck, we just had a guy who is such an impressive specimen that the Raiders tossed around 30 million dollars into his bank account to be their feature back, and he was lucky to get 3 or 4

Curtis Martin would have to be in a wheel-chair before this HC allows another RB to Get 10 carries in a Game, much less 15

Heck, we just had a guy who is such an impressive specimen that the Raiders tossed around 30 million dollars into his bank account to be their feature back, and he was lucky to get 3 or 4

Be interesting to see though because I know Dinger didn't come here to have Herm meddle in his business. So I really don't think it will be Herm's call anymore.

With all the assitant coach turnover, Herm has to be careful here.

I like this guy's attitude.

I also think he may not be far off in thinking he'll get 10 carries per game. Martin will be a year older and will need to be spelled more frequently. Dinger probably has different ideas than Hackett did, too.

We have some offensive problems, for sure, but RB is clearly not one of them.

Hey, Lamont - did the door hit you in the overrated ass on the way out? I hope so.

March 4, 2005 -- For those Jets fans fretting and bemoaning the loss of LaMont Jordan to the Raiders, let Jordan's replacement, Derrick Blaylock, tell you what's in store.

"They'll see. Once they see me on the field and see what I can do, they'll understand that they have a good thing in Derrick Blaylock," Blaylock told The Post yesterday.

The Jets signed Blaylock to a five-year, $11.1 million contract that includes a signing bonus of $3.2 million, a nice chunk of change for a backup running back. Blaylock will be more than worth the investment if he can do for Curtis Martin what Jordan did: provide a solid alternative in the ground game.

Blaylock is accustomed to playing behind Pro Bowl-type runners, as he spent his first three NFL seasons in Kansas City watching, learning and getting the ball behind Priest Holmes. Now he gets to be Martin's caddy — and he can hardly wait.

"Oh man, it's going to be great," Blaylock said. "He's a guy I have a tremendous respect for. In my eyes he is the most consistent running back in the game right now. I learned a lot from Priest and Tony Richardson, but I feel I can learn a lot from Curtis."

The Texans and Buccaneers had interest in Blaylock, 25, and the Chiefs wanted him back. Last season was by far his best, as he had 539 yards and eight TDs. He also caught 25 passes. The 5-9, 210-pound Blaylock was a 2001 fifth-round draft pick out of Stephen F. Austin with excellent speed.

"[The Jets] promised to feature him in a way where I think he's still going to get 10-15 carries and still have a significant role on the team," said Blaylock's agent, Michael Huyghue. "I think they think he's a companion back."

That's exactly what Blaylock believes he is.

"Basically I'm going to be the guy to spell Curtis. We're going to be like the 'one-two punch,' " he said. "It's gonna be very interesting. I feel great; I feel like it's going to be a great upcoming season. I'm a fast back, can catch the ball out of the backfield and just being able to get out there and make guys miss and score on the big play."

Jordan, meanwhile, signed a five-year, $27.5 million contract in Oakland yesterday, and said he's anxious to show what he can do now that he'll finally be starting.

"I wanted to play," Jordan said. "I've sat on the bench for four years. I learned from Curtis. Although I learned a lot, it was frustrating because I am a competitor."

The Jets made Jordan an offer this offseason, but he decided to test free agency. He said several other teams also were interested.

He grew tired of being told he was in the Jets' plans but still stuck behind Martin, who has rushed for more than 1,000 yards in each of his 10 NFL seasons.

"I know people are going to say, 'He's never carried the load' — and there are going to be a lot of questions," Jordan said. "I accept the challenge because I know I'm going to succeed. I'm very confident. I did it in high school. I did it in college.

"Coming into the NFL I wasn't prepared for that and I went on my natural talent. Now, not only do I have the talent but I have the knowledge and what it takes to be a pro."

Blaylock had a natural tie to the Jets, as GM Terry Bradway was in Kansas City when Blaylock arrived there, and the Jets' new running back coach, d!ck Curl, was also with the Chiefs from 2000-2002.

who's this Lamont that DBLOCK is talking about????

How can you not like his comments. I would rather have this attitude on my team than Lamont's. Plus how can you not love a kid who comes in as a 5th rounder and works his a** off to get to where he is right now? I love this signing.

Blaylock is a good player...But he's nothing like Jordan--he's small and is a better receiver than runner.

I gotta disagree Riggo. Blaylock is stronger than people are giving him credit for. You are right that he is not a tank but he is strong enough, faster and a better reciever out of the backfield.

How can you not like his comments. I would rather have this attitude on my team than Lamont's. Plus how can you not love a kid who comes in as a 5th rounder and works his a** off to get to where he is right now? I love this signing.

Attitude?

Hell, I would LOVE to play for the Jets! I'd give them the "Super-Fan Discount" too! I'm as acheap as they come, 6'5" and 400 pounds of RT Chubbiness.

And I WANT TO BE THERE, unlike that "scrub" McKenzie....

Attitude is important. Talent is more important. Blaylock is no Lamont Jordan.

I gotta disagree Riggo. Blaylock is stronger than people are giving him credit for. You are right that he is not a tank but he is strong enough, faster and a better reciever out of the backfield.

No, you are right...I was bit hasty, he's not, like you say, a "Tank", but he's a strong player--played real well recently too. Basically pushed out the door when LJ emerged in KC.

...I think we are basically agreeing, for the most part 8)

He's different than Jordan....Dare I say Ryan Moates will no longer be looked by the Jets, because him and Blaylock could be twins?

Sorry Jetlag, but I can't see the Jets drafting Moates anymore--although he is more than worthy.

Attitude?

Hell, I would LOVE to play for the Jets! I'd give them the "Super-Fan Discount" too! I'm as acheap as they come, 6'5" and 400 pounds of RT Chubbiness.

And I WANT TO BE THERE, unlike that "scrub" McKenzie....

Attitude is important. Talent is more important. Blaylock is no Lamont Jordan.

Fisherman, What makes you think Lamont is better than Blaylock over a full season? You can't answer it because no one knows. All we do know is that Lamonts top load carry wise was 18 which came once last year and Blaylock topped that 3 times including a 33 carry game. Also there is this idea that the chiefs o-line is the reason for his stats. Well the Jets o-line isn't that bad either and I can't wait to see the speedy Blaylock carry it on a sweep or on a screen behind Mawae and Kendall pulling to the outside. I'm not going to guarente Blaylock will be better because it is premature for that just like it is premature to guarentee Lamont is better.

Sorry Jetlag, but I can't see the Jets drafting Moates anymore--although he is more than worthy.

BOOOOOOOOOO! Unacceptable Riggs. But if it's true I will move on.

Now I want Ciatrick Fason in the 3rd.

Fason_Ciatrick1.jpg

"Ciatrick Fason has a lot of upside to his game. He is an all around threat that can hurt you in many ways. He looks a lot like former Gator Fred Taylor. Had Fason returned to school for his senior season, Fason could have been looking at a Top 15 selection next year."

Here are his stats against the big 3 last season.

------------------- Att--Yards---Avg---TD---Yd/Gm

Ciatrick Fason......222 - 1267 - 5.7 - 10 - 105.6

Cadilliac Williams....220 - 1104 - 5.0 - 12 - 92.0

Ronnie Brown........139 - 845 - 6.1 - 8 - 76.8

Cedric Benson.......326 - 1834 - 5.6 - 19 - 152.8

I was just going to type something like this. If Blaylock gets 10 carries a game and Lamont only got less that 100 all last season, simply because Heimerdinger commands it, then Herm should be fired.

I was just going to type something like this. If Blaylock gets 10 carries a game and Lamont only got less that 100 all last season, simply because Heimerdinger commands it, then Herm should be fired.

You just love making any statement if it can end with "....the Herm should be fired."

Blaylock is a good player...But he's nothing like Jordan--he's small and is a better receiver than runner.

he's small?

loved all those tough 3 and 1's Lamont converted

i'll take this guy that wants it over a fat slow outta shape grumpy Lamont anyday

this man will show up to camp ready to rumble

Archived