Vernon Gholston: MERGED

#27TheDominator

He made a couple of nice plays on ST and got significant run at LB. He rushed the passer the last drive and showed some life. He does not look anywhere near as quick as I had hoped, but he looks very stout at the point of attack.

He still looks a little lost, but it's encouraging to at least see him in the rotation. Who knows, maybe he'll even make a play or two before the end of the season.

He made a couple of nice plays on ST and got significant run at LB. He rushed the passer the last drive and showed some life. He does not look anywhere near as quick as I had hoped, but he looks very stout at the point of attack.

He still looks a little lost, but it's encouraging to at least see him in the rotation. Who knows, maybe he'll even make a play or two before the end of the season.

he played on a couple of drives early in the game and didn't look bad. he had a decent pass rush but i am just not seeing the speed or explosiveness you expect from a $35M player.

He looked a decent on defense he pushed the pocket and was around the ball

he played on a couple of drives early in the game and didn't look bad. he had a decent pass rush but i am just not seeing the speed or explosiveness you expect from a $35M player.

Hopefully in time he will look like a $35 mil player. I'll take ANY form of progress at this point.

Could be just another piece of the puzzle falling into place.

It was great to see him get some legit playing time. Hopefully the cut him loose in certain pass rush situations soon.

I think they are trying to do that. He was in rushing, mostly from RDE, the last drive. The main problem with him is that he doesn't look like he "cuts loose". Either that or he's really not very quick.

I dont know if you guys are just being homers or I'm just a hater/don't see it...

I thought he looked like trash, hes slow, he misses tackles and he doesn't seem to have any moves besides a weak bull rush that tackles can stop w/ ease...

If this guy was a 5th rounder you all would be calling for him to go to the practice squad...I'd rather see Clowney on the field than him...

I dont know if you guys are just being homers or I'm just a hater/don't see it...

I thought he looked like trash, hes slow, he misses tackles and he doesn't seem to have any moves besides a weak bull rush that tackles can stop w/ ease...

If this guy was a 5th rounder you all would be calling for him to go to the practice squad...I'd rather see Clowney on the field than him...

Thinking the guy looks like a 5th rounder is fine, but what does Clowney have to do with it? They were 5 wide a bunch of times without him and Stuckey barely sees the field. Wallace Wright showed today why he is more important than another receiving receiver and in addtion to being a good ST'er, adequate WR and wildcat QB, IMO Brad Smith is an excellent blocking WR.

I saw some life from Gholston today. Nothing to get excited about, but progress from the last times I've seen him out there. I wondered what others thought. I wouldn't have brought him up if he weren't a concern. I'm hoping that the bullrush comes from his making sure he doesn't give up the edge, he did have a move on the play Bronzey mentioned and that was a play where I'm pretty sure he didn't have any responsibility of containing the edge.

I still think (err... hope) that part of his perceived slowness is hesitance and nothing physical...

I pondered that for a bit today, ultimately came up empty

He looks hesitant AND slow

Remember when JAbe was a rookie? You knew he was something special cause he had that extra gear. Don't see it with Gholsten

There's a reason he wasn't a 5th rounder, though. He still has a lot of potential and he's still very young.

I dont see him lasting very long...sorry to say it, but havent heard his name once in a big play all season...

How many downs has he even played? Not many I'm guessing. Plus the transition from DE to OLB. I'm going to have to give him until next year mid-season before I form an opinion.

where did u hear that he ran a 4.6 40

his strengths are his explosiveness off the ball and his brute strength. not his speed

Top Perfomers - 40 Yard Dash

Defensive Linemen

Howard, Marcus 4.45

Groves , Quentin 4.57

Crable, Shawn 4.64

Gholston, Vernon 4.67

He'd have been tied for 8th fastest at LB.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers?tabIndex=0

Archived