Trade Tom Brady?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brett Favre would stay another 10 years knowing we'd be the dominant power. :)

Trade Brady to the 49ers where he can go back home (he's originally from the Bay Area) and the Jets won't see him for another 4 years. Perfect scenario.

If anyone thinks there Pats are trading Tom Brady there a complete retard or a Yankees fan.

Well I would argue that anyone who doesn't consider the trade ie. you, is the one that is completely ignoring the facts (and what does being a yankee fan have to do with this??). The fact of the matter is, Matt Cassel has shown more in his first year starting than Brady did in his first year. Now, I'm not saying Cassel will develop into the next brady, but his progression is eerily similar. Not only has he progressed as a passer leaps and bounds, but he is more of an athlete and can do things with his feet brady could never do.

Cassel is younger and you can already see his development and familiarity with the system. Brady is already in his thirties and who knows how he comes back. What if he struggles all year, than you have to wait an additional year for him to come back and their defense is only getting older. I would liken it very much to the the trade of Herschel Walker to the Vikings back in the 90's. That trade allowed johnson to completely retool their team and eventually led to their success in the 90's.

I am a big proponent for trading these so-called superstars as long as you have a good backup. I was one of the people who thought the chargers should have traded LT the last couple years and keep turner. Not because i thought turner would have been this good, because i didn't at all, but because I knew he would be serviceable and LT would garner enough picks to completely justifty the trade. I personally do not want to see it, because Cassel is turning into a very decent QB and the amount of picks and players they would get out of it would ensure that they stay a competitive team for another decade.

Well I would argue that anyone who doesn't consider the trade ie. you, is the one that is completely ignoring the facts (and what does being a yankee fan have to do with this??). The fact of the matter is, Matt Cassel has shown more in his first year starting than Brady did in his first year.

It's hard to claim that someone else is ignoring the facts, when you make the bolded statement above.

Your statement completely ignores the fact that Brady did not play with Randy Moss or Wes Welker in 2001, his first season as a starter replacing Bledsoe.

Plus, your statement is also belied by the fact of what Brady actually did in his first full season as a starter in 2002.

In 2002, Brady threw for 3764 yards, 28 TDs and 14 INTs with a 85.7 QB rating. Cassel is projected to throw for 3804 yards, 19 TDs and 12 INTs with a 90 QB rating.

Remarkably similar numbers, except Brady did that while throwing to Troy Brown, David Patten, and Deon Branch ®. That was his receiving group in 2001 as well, except for Branch who was a rookie in 2002. The Pats had a revolving door at the 3rd WR spot in 2001.

So, again, Brady was throwing to Troy Brown, David Patten and a rookie Deon Branch and you think that is somehow a comparable situation with whom Cassel is throwing to in Moss, Welker & Gafney?

As crazy as it sounds, there is a very legitimate reason to consider it:

The Pats will not be able to franchise Cassell. The league has made it clear they will not allow teams to franchise a player with the sole intent to trade him. Though some Pats fans would want you to believe they could make a legitimate case to franchise Cassell, the league would be up in arms and the Commissioner's office would look like a joke if they allowed it to happen. Cassell is the shining case of what the NFL does not want to see in regards to the franchise rule.

So this leaves the Pats with 2 legit possibilities-Lose Cassell and get nothing, or trade Brady for a boatload of draft picks and build the future around Cassel. As crazy as it sounds, it's not too far fetched in reality.

And I think if that happens Kraft*, Pioli*, & Belecheat* will be run out of New England

I agree

There is also another element to consider here. Brady is only 32 YO. If he recovers 100% from his injury, he will probably have another 5 very good years.

I don't think that "The weasel" will want to consider the future, and stay in NE much longer. The Pats are still a very good team, but they clearly don't own the AFCE any more. The team that is on top right now is a team Belichick hates. He especially hates their young HC. Not only that, but "The Tuna" is now on the scene. Parcells isn't a child like "The Weasel", but his hatred for Belichick is even more intense then Belichick's childish hatred for Mangini.

I really believe the reason Parcells came to the AFCE was to settle scores with Belichick. If Cassel isn't every bit as good as Brady the Pats could very well find themselves at the bottom of the AFCE. That wouldn't do for a jerk with Belichick's ego. Not to mention the fan base would be screaming for his scalp after trading Brady.

IMO Belichick is going to hang around at least one more year to see if Brady still has the magic. If he doesn't he will do the Parcells thing and retire for a bit before he is humiliated by Mangini and Parcells. Maybe reappear in the NFC.

If he trades Brady, and the Pats tank his value will plummet, his rep will be even more damaged. Everyone will say it wasn't Belichick, it was Brady.

Don't forget this guy is a true coward

He might be gimpy when he comes back and he might not be as good as he was before but still it would be ridiculous to trade Tom Brady. Tom Brady is still Tom f%cking Brady.

Agreed. There's no way ya trade a guy who helped deliver ya 3 SB wins and another appearance... The fans will go ape sh@t if that were to happen.... The situation the Pats are in is that Brady will be their one un-touchable the rest of his career. Good or bad. That org would be foolish to even think of trading him imo.

Agreed. There's no way ya trade a guy who helped deliver ya 3 SB wins and another appearance... The fans will go ape sh@t if that were to happen.... The situation the Pats are in is that Brady will be their one un-touchable the rest of his career. Good or bad. That org would be foolish to even think of trading him imo.

Agreed. You can not trade him and think the fan base will ever let you live it down unless you win three more Super Bowls without him - this is not even a possibility

I agree

There is also another element to consider here. Brady is only 32 YO. If he recovers 100% from his injury, he will probably have another 5 very good years.

I don't think that "The weasel" will want to consider the future, and stay in NE much longer. The Pats are still a very good team, but they clearly don't own the AFCE any more. The team that is on top right now is a team Belichick hates. He especially hates their young HC. Not only that, but "The Tuna" is now on the scene. Parcells isn't a child like "The Weasel", but his hatred for Belichick is even more intense then Belichick's childish hatred for Mangini.

I really believe the reason Parcells came to the AFCE was to settle scores with Belichick. If Cassel isn't every bit as good as Brady the Pats could very well find themselves at the bottom of the AFCE. That wouldn't do for a jerk with Belichick's ego. Not to mention the fan base would be screaming for his scalp after trading Brady.

IMO Belichick is going to hang around at least one more year to see if Brady still has the magic. If he doesn't he will do the Parcells thing and retire for a bit before he is humiliated by Mangini and Parcells. Maybe reappear in the NFC.

If he trades Brady, and the Pats tank his value will plummet, his rep will be even more damaged. Everyone will say it wasn't Belichick, it was Brady.

Tom Brady is 31. He will be 32 on 8/3/09.

How exactly is BB going to be humilated by Mangini and Parcells?

They are no longer the king of the heap - but I strongly beleive they will be contending for it for years to come. And, if it weren't for an injury to Brady - and later Harrison and Thomas, I have no doubt in my mind the Pats would be at least 9-2 THIS season. And, do keep this little tid-bit in mind - once Favre leaves the Jest are effed. You know it too.

Mangini's hatred for BB far surpasses any other hate involved here.

BB's abilities are even more revered when you see what he has done with an injury riddled team - especially to it's reiging MVP qb.

BB is a coward? How? He's a lot of things.....but a coward? There are two qb's that would disagree with you....**cough***Kosar, Bledsoe****cough***

I get that you hate the Pats with quite the passion - but it's effecting your thinking process. You can hate and actually make sense. Look at my posts. ;)

Tom Brady isn't going anywhere and Cassel will get the Pats at least a 2nd and 4th draft pick.....and I'm being conservative.

I agree

I think the Patsies* will be back (not that they are gone and not a threat this year) but they have allowed the rest of the division especially us catchup to their talent level.

Yes we all know about Brady's records and accomplishments, yes, we know. We don't need to bring them up for the 7,586th time. The point is he is going to be 32 years old before next season starts, coming off major knee surgery. Yes he is just starting to rehab, behind schedule, and yes you have no idea how he is going to come back and perform. Will he ever be 100% again? Who knows.

One thing is for certain. Brady took the most hits of any QB not named Kurt Warner in 2006 & 2007 and you think coming of a torn up knee its going to help his movement even more? As bad as it sounds to say it, but teams will be targeting to hit him and hit him often, a lot of the time below the waste line.

If Cassel continues on the pace he's going, there could be serious talk. I just posted this for exactly what this thread is going, interesting conversation. Here's another interesting tidbit:

Tom Brady's first 11 starts:

66.3% passes completed

91.6 passer rating

8-3

Matt Cassel's first 11 starts;

66.3% passes completed

90.5 passer rating

7-4

Tom Brady isn't going anywhere and Cassel will get the Pats at least a 2nd and 4th draft pick.....and I'm being conservative.

FYI, a team cannot franchise a player with the sole purpose of trading him. Goodell sent a memo out to all the teams about this after the John Abraham trade. The league has the power to block any trade of Cassel because of violation of this rule.

If Cassel continues on the pace he's going, there could be serious talk. I just posted this for exactly what this thread is going, interesting conversation. Here's another interesting tidbit:

Tom Brady's first 11 starts:

66.3% passes completed

91.6 passer rating

8-3

Matt Cassel's first 11 starts;

66.3% passes completed

90.5 passer rating

7-4

Does it matter that Brady was throwing to Troy Brown, David Patten & Kevin Faulk in those 1st 11 starts while Cassel is throwing to Randy Moss, Wes Welker, & Jebbar Gafney?

Does it matter that Brady was throwing to Troy Brown, David Patten & Kevin Faulk in those 1st 11 starts while Cassel is throwing to Randy Moss, Wes Welker, & Jebbar Gafney?

Does it matter that Brady had a better Offensive Line, better Running Game and Defense?

As crazy as it sounds, there is a very legitimate reason to consider it:

The Pats will not be able to franchise Cassell. The league has made it clear they will not allow teams to franchise a player with the sole intent to trade him. Though some Pats fans would want you to believe they could make a legitimate case to franchise Cassell, the league would be up in arms and the Commissioner's office would look like a joke if they allowed it to happen. Cassell is the shining case of what the NFL does not want to see in regards to the franchise rule.

So this leaves the Pats with 2 legit possibilities-Lose Cassell and get nothing, or trade Brady for a boatload of draft picks and build the future around Cassel. As crazy as it sounds, it's not too far fetched in reality.

Crazy isnt the word.

Theres no way in hell Brady gets traded. What about his 10.3 Mil cap hit? That hits the books plus theyre paying Cassel too?

Niether of your scenarios will come to fruition.

Cassel gets a contract and stays because Brady isnt cleared to play or Cassel signs a contract/or is franchised and then traded. He simply wont walk away with NE getting nothing in return.

Tom Brady is Tom Brady, your of your ****ing mind to trade him.

Tom Brady of old...

Young

Single

Superbowl Winner

New Tom Brady

Bum Knee

Wife and Kid

Superbowl Loser

You would be stupid not to look into a trade... if you can rob a ton of picks for him why not? The Pats can't win a superbowl with him right now, that was already proven.

Crazy isnt the word.

Theres no way in hell Brady gets traded. What about his 10.3 Mil cap hit? That hits the books plus theyre paying Cassel too?

Niether of your scenarios will come to fruition.

Cassel gets a contract and stays because Brady isnt cleared to play or Cassel signs a contract/or is franchised and then traded. He simply wont walk away with NE getting nothing in return.

Yeah who would ever take on a big cap hit for a QB to launch their team into superbowl contenders...

Oh yeah wait....

FYI, a team cannot franchise a player with the sole purpose of trading him. Goodell sent a memo out to all the teams about this after the John Abraham trade. The league has the power to block any trade of Cassel because of violation of this rule.

Jared Allen was tagged and traded last season. I guess Herm never got the memo.

Jared Allen was tagged and traded last season. I guess Herm never got the memo.

They tried to resign him. New England isn't going to resign him and according to EVERY SINGLE NFL PERSON New England cannot afford to franchise him, a $14 million+ number, and trade him. And knowing New England's luck, the rest of the NFL would say "F U" to the Patriots and sit there and enjoy your backup making $14 million+.

Archived