0-16 Detroit Lions? : If Ever There Was A Team To Pull This Off, This Was it

The Gun Of Bavaria

Being a professional Lions hater here in Detroit, I am openly, and without shame, hoping that the Detroit Lions lose the remaining games and finish the season with a perfect 0-16 record.

They will, they must set the record and confirm their position in the Hall Of Incompetence and Apathy with pride for generations to see.

I would love nothing more, than for Detroit to get absolutely blown out in front of a national audience during the Thanksgiving Day game. I mean, not just 30-0, that would be too vanilla.

I'd like to see a 56-0 shellacking that would embarrass that franchise down to its very core.

The Lions have a chance to seize history....take it, and run with it.

:cheers:

Being a professional Lions hater here in Detroit, I am openly, and without shame, hoping that the Detroit Lions lose the remaining games and finish the season with a perfect 0-16 record.

They will, they must set the record and confirm their position in the Hall Of Incompetence and Apathy with pride for generations to see.

I would love nothing more, than for Detroit to get absolutely blown out in front of a national audience during the Thanksgiving Day game. I mean, not just 30-0, that would be too vanilla.

I'd like to see a 56-0 shellacking that would embarrass that franchise down to its very core.

The Lions have a chance to seize history....take it, and run with it.

:cheers:

You have to exercise some self control. If they can get very lucky and knock the Titans off on Thanksgiving, that would put the Jets in very real contention for the first seed

How can you hate the Lions unless you're a Lions fan? Just can't see it.

I for one hope they shock the world and take down the Titans, further helping the Jets in the race to be the #1 seed in the AFC.

Im actually a Lions fan this Thursday!

How beautiful would it be for the Jets to knock off the undefeated Titans and then the Titans lose to the defeated Lions and allow the Jets to take the #1 seed in the AFC.

Have the Jets EVER been a #1 seed?

I really think they're going to do it... I mean, who can they beat?

Tenn?

Minn?

Ind?

NO?

GB?

I just don't see it.

They can beat Tenn or GB...

Tenn is more of a mess than just Lendale... they have some internal issues brewing... :::cough::: Vince young is on the bench:::cough::::

How can you hate the Lions unless you're a Lions fan? Just can't see it.

I for one hope they shock the world and take down the Titans, further helping the Jets in the race to be the #1 seed in the AFC.

Yeah i can't find a single reason to hate the Lions these days either. I feel so sorry for their fanbase. I wouldn't wish their record on any fanbase... Well scratch that, i'd definately love it if the clowns finished 0-16... lol

Playing at home on Thanksgiving though, i at least give em' a slight chance at the W. Lord knows the Titan offense ain't that great anyway.

:rl:

Your joking right?

The JETS are favorites in every game down the stretch... there is a dman good chance they win 4 or 5 of them...

The Steelers have a tough run...

The Titans have a good chance of dropping 2 or 3 ... maybe more... I think that team is going to crumble under the pressure of a big loss...

Your joking right?

The JETS are favorites in every game down the stretch... there is a dman good chance they win 4 or 5 of them...

The Steelers have a tough run...

The Titans have a good chance of dropping 2 or 3 ... maybe more... I think that team is going to crumble under the pressure of a big loss...

The Titans will crumble under the pressure? I will not be surprised if the Jets lay an egg against the Broncos.

Some of you Jets fans are getting way ahead of yourselves.

This is the perfect storm...but I'm thinking they will beat GB to end the season. The Pack are playing terrible the last few weeks. Once they are out of playoff contention they will shutdown Rodgers...why risk further damage to an already injured right shoulder. After that they only have two rookies QBs (Flynn and Brohm). The Lions will at least have motivation to prevent 0-16.

A couple of item below to help put in perspective the Matt Millen era in Detroit...comparision to Britney Spears is always good for a laugh.

By Gene Wojciechowski

ESPN.com

The Lions are so bad that you can't blame them. This is a franchise that has won exactly one playoff game in the past 50 years. It's had 23 head coaches since 1930 -- five of them since 2000. It had Matt Millen as team president, which is like asking Britney Spears to babysit your kids.

The good news is that the Lions potentially have five of the first 100 picks in the 2009 NFL draft. The bad news is that the Lions potentially have five of the first 100 picks in the 2009 NFL draft. With Millen out of the war room, maybe something productive will happen.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3703116

The Worst Decisions of the Matt Millen Era

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/61244-the-worst-decisions-of-the-matt-millen-era

After a few games into his seventh season, the Detroit Lions finally fired Matt Millen today after the Lions posted a 31-84 under his reign. As a native Detroiter I have seen it all go down. So how did it go so bad for this distinguished former player and broadcaster? I blame it on a plethora of poor draft, personnel, and coaching decisions. Still unsure, hopefully these will refresh your memory.

#10.) Jeff Backus

In Matt Millen's first draft, the Lions took Backus with the 18th overall pick. Backus was a very talented offensive lineman out of nearby University of Michigan, but he wasn't even the best lineman on his team. That title belonged to Steve Hutchinson, the future All-Pro lineman who was drafted by the Seahawks with the 17th overall pick. Backus has never lived up to expectations with the Lions, but Millen decided to reward his marginal performance with a 6 year $40 million contract extension.

#9.) Bill Schroeder & Az Hakim

After a dismal first season where the Lions posted a 2-14 record, Millen decided to go out in the free agent market and sign some fire power for his offense. So Millen decided to go after what he loves most, wide receivers. He actually managed to sign and overpay two of the top free agent receivers, Az Hakim and Bill Schroeder. Hakim was the #3 WR in the "greatest show on turf" and Schroeder one of Brett Favre's targets. The only problem was that even though the Lions played on turf, they were far from the greatest show on it and Joey Harrington was no Brett Favre. Both players never contributed as much as they did with their former teams and produced the first Matt Millen free agent busts.

#8.) Mike Martz

Millen decided to compliment his hiring of Rod Marinelli by bringing in offensive guru Mike Martz. It seemed like Martz was given all the tools considering all the receivers the Lions drafted, but it just didn't work out for him. Martz decided to bring in a bunch of old players from his St. Louis days like Mike Furrey, Az Hakim, and Shaun McDonald. After only two seasons, Martz was run out of town.

#7.) Fernando Bryant & Damien Woody

Another pair of free agent busts for the Lions were Bryant and Woody, both were young players who had seen success with their former teams. Bryant only played 22 games in his first three seasons with the Lions and didn't have any interceptions in that time. Woody never played like the same Damien Woody that won two Super Bowls playing for the New England Patriots. After four disappointing seasons, Bryant and Woody left Detroit.

#6.)Marty Mornhinweg

Marty Mornhinweg was not even qualified to be the Lions head coach, but that didn't stop Matt Millen from hiring him. Marty said before his first season "The bar is high" and the Lions went on to go 2-14. The next season, he said "The bar is higher" and the Lions responded by going 3-13. Shortly after Millen said Mornhinweg would return for a third season, he fired him and hired Steve Mariucci.

#5.) Joey Harrington

Millen decided to make a splash in his second draft and take Joey Harrington, a QB from Oregon with the third overall pick. Joey never really had much success in Detroit because of coaching, supporting cast, and an overall lack of talent. The fans thought he was a ***** and/or queer, so after about two seasons he never really had a chance in Detroit. After four seasons, Harrington was traded because Mike Martz did not approve of him to run the offense.

#4.) Charles Rogers

Another disappointing draft pick was Charles Rogers, the local product out of Saginaw and Michigan State was taken with the #2 overall pick. The Lions did not hesitate to draft him despite being caught using a masking agent in a drug test. Rogers showed some promise in his rookie year, but broke his collar bone and was done for the season after only four games. The next season, Rogers broke his collarbone again in the first game of the season and once again ended his season. His third and final season with the Lions was a disaster, he was suspended four games for a failed drug test and was inactive for several other games. Rogers was released after three seasons and hasn't played in the NFL since.

#3.) Dre Bly

The first major acquisition of the Steve Mariucci era was Dre Bly, an undersized cornerback who didn't even start for the St. Louis Rams. The Lions also completely overpaid to land Bly, which was fuel to several jokes around the league. Although Bly had some success on the field with the Lions, he never knew when to shut up and was never really able to cover opposing team's receivers. He blamed Joey Harrington for the firing of Steve Mariucci and was a cancer in the locker room. Dre Bly was likely the best free agent pickup Millen ever had, but he just couldn't put up with the losing culture under Millen. He was traded to the Denver Broncos after only three seasons with the Lions.

#2.) Steve Mariucci

The day Matt Millen took the job, his goal was to have Steve Mariucci as head coach. Rumors are that the only reason they hired Marty Mornhinwheg was because Millen couldn't lure Mariucci away from San Francisco and Mariucci said hire my assistant instead. But all rumors aside, Mariucci was terrible as a Lions coach. He compiled a 15-29 record before being canned after an embarassing Thanksgiving loss. Mariucci's west coast offense didn't work and it further derailed Joey Harrington's career. His training camp, practices, etc. were so soft that people referred to the Lions Allen Park practice facility as Allen Park Country Club. Today, Mariucci continues to work for NFL Network and has not been a legitimate candidate for any coaching position since the end of his tenure with the Lion's.

#1.) Mike Williams

Millen decided to follow up the previous first round picks of Charles Rogers and Roy Williams with the selection of Mike Williams with the #10 pick in the 2005 draft. Williams did have great size and was impressive at USC, the only problem was he hadn't played football in over a year. Millen also somehow missed the fact that Williams was slow, overweight, and lazy. Williams was reportedly fined over $100,000 his rookie year for being late to so many team meetings. In two seasons with the Lions, Williams only played in 22 games, recorded 37 catches, and touchdowns. He was traded to the Raiders during the 2007 draft and was later cut by Lane Kiffin who was one of his college coaches.

I also live in Michigan. I must say, however, that I have also lived in South Florida and Denver. I assure you...the Dolfags, trailer trash at RayJay in Tampa, and Donkeyholics are MUCH easier to hate. Actually, I sympathize with Lions fans because their franchise is a joke and they know it. I will gladly root for Detroit while I eat my turkey.

The Titans will crumble under the pressure? I will not be surprised if the Jets lay an egg against the Broncos.

So tell me, just who is playing better football in the AFC right now? Certainly not your team. You should worry more about your team making the post season and not so much about the Jets run.

Why would you expect that to happen? We just won 2 huge road games, so do you actually think we'll blow it at home or are you just saying that to annoy us?

Why would you expect that to happen? We just won 2 huge road games, so do you actually think we'll blow it at home or are you just saying that to annoy us?

yeah lets not take every team for granted from here on out and act like we're completely invincible, confidence is one thing, but no game in the NFL is a lock, tell that to the cowboys after they got crapped on by the rams earlier this year, and a few other so called good teams that got smacked by awful teams.

Broncos have a sick pass game, and a decent ground game, they wont just lay down and die this sunday.

How is it getting ahead?

JETS are the team to beat right now in the AFC... that usually leads to a SB...

ironically you could say the same for patriots fans. they're all clamoring "what an amazing season they're having. I would have never believed they could win even 6 or 7 games this year without brady, etc." but look at their soft schedule... who have they beaten? I will not be surprised if the Pats **** in their pants against the Steelers in front of their fans.

How is it getting ahead?

JETS are the team to beat right now in the AFC... that usually leads to a SB...

how many times has a wildcard team made it to the super bowl in the last few years? giants last year, colts were a 3 seed in 2006, steelers were the 6 seed in 2005.

Im holding you directly responsible now if we don't make the super bowl after a comment like that.

Archived