Angels mega-offer to CC could change market

NIGHT STALKER

And your alternative 2009 rotation is ????? Remember, last years farm system hype of Generation Trey has basically been scrapped for now with Joba the only rotation sure thing and even that probably comes with a innings limit again. Yanks can afford to overpay and eat any resulting mistakes that may come from that.

Then you'll probably have a very average rotation for a not-so-average price.

I think Lowe would be worthy of a contract. Burnett scares me. I definitely agree that Sabathia is the centerpiece in their mind of this offseason.

But honestly in the AL he has been good. Not Cy Young good though which is a concern.

They have a lot riding on Joba. With Wang coming back he and Joba would make a good 1 - 2 punch. They would make an even better 2 - 3 punch. I still think they will get CC. I guess overpaying for him makes more sense than overpaying for hte other guys.

Just don't want and don't think they are going to throw crazy money at all of these guys. The Yankees showed great restraint last year. They took a step back as a result but they don't get any credit for showing restraint.

If you mean C.C., he was the 2007 AL Cy Young Award winner.

Last years restraint was not increasing a already incredibly high payroll. They also media blitzed us to death with their youth plan in the pitching dept vs trades and FA's only to now apparently abort that plan after one season.

History tells us that the Yankees win the World Series every four years or so. I am okay with history.

Recent history (last year) showed that the Yankees were trying to develop some kid pitchers. Joba is looking good, the others have more to prove. I am just not convinced that they are going to overpay for 3 pitchers in one off season.

But the Yankees have a funny way of proving people wrong. So I am just going to sit back and watch what they do this year.

History might suggest they win one out of every four years. The Yankees dynasty of the 20s into the early 60s skews those averages.

The best teams pf the Steinbrenner era were put together when he was banned from baseball. The Yankees have shown signs of building from within and do have some talent.

Seeing they have TV money, are relieved of paying the luxury tax due to their new stadium, I do not see them letting some decent talent escape because they under bid.

Read your own sig. That should refrain you from mentioning HISTORY ever again.

Why?

I have no issue with the Sox history or the Yankees' far richer history.

I am just contending that Max's "1 of 4" statement is a bit skewed. The Yankees' Dynasty from 1921 to 1964 when they won 20 of their 26 titles skews that average. I would say their mean average is lesser then "1 of 4" and closer to the rest of their history average of 1 of 10.

Here is the thing, our teams have money. Complaining about injuries is ridiculous. Your team has the means to not have to rely on Rasner or any number of rookies. The Yankees had a chance to sign a premier talent in Johan Santana, but choose not to. Maybe, if they did not go cheap they would not have to put together a patch work pitching staff.

Yes they have money, but when is enough spedning enough. Look at the ticket prices at Fenway and at the New yankee Stadium. I consider myself as a person who makes a decent living, and I am being priced out of the damn place. I'm not the one that going to be writing Captain Cheeseburger the 200 million dollar check, but that doesn't mean i can't object to him getting it.

History might suggest they win one out of every four years. The Yankees dynasty of the 20s into the early 60s skews those averages.

The best teams pf the Steinbrenner era were put together when he was banned from baseball. The Yankees have shown signs of building from within and do have some talent.

Seeing they have TV money, are relieved of paying the luxury tax due to their new stadium, I do not see them letting some decent talent escape because they under bid.

19 seasons starting in 1990 - 2008 right?

4 World Championships = 1 every 4.75 years. If they win this year that is 5 in 20. i.e. once every 4 years. You can't discount the 80's because as much as I hate to admit it, the 80's didn't happen yesterday.

Yes they have money, but when is enough spedning enough. Look at the ticket prices at Fenway and at the New yankee Stadium. I consider myself as a person who makes a decent living, and I am being priced out of the damn place. I'm not the one that going to be writing Captain Cheeseburger the 200 million dollar check, but that doesn't mean i can't object to him getting it.

The prices are ridiculous.

I could not agree more.

19 seasons starting in 1990 - 2008 right?

4 World Championships = 1 every 4.75 years. If they win this year that is 5 in 20. i.e. once every 4 years. You can't discount the 80's because as much as I hate to admit it, the 80's didn't happen yesterday.

You say tomatoes, I say tomatos.

SD is more concerned with what the yanks do, rather than what the Mess do

At least we know he has admittted to himself that the Mess have no shot

Paranoia has run rampant in some Yankee fans.

This forum is called the "baseball forum".

NOT Yankee fans talking about the Yankees.

NOT Met fans talking about the Mets

NOT Anskyruben being vile and using the same jokes over and over

NOT JoneJet dissapearing at the last Yankee loss.

I am sorry that it disturbs you that some other fans may talk about your team. I am sorry that may cause you to have thin skin.

If that makes you want to throw ammunition at my team. So be it, they deserve it.

But the self rightousness of some Yankee fans here and their belief that only THEY can talk about their team exposes their own insecurities.

I am sorry that you hopped on the Yankee bandwagon when things were only good. I am also partially sorry they have done squat in recent years to support your bandwagon nature.

The Sabathia outcome will be a great litmus test for this free agent class as well as future classes. It is a BASEBALL topic. If you can not be grown enough to accept that maybe the Yankees may not (again, only may), possibly you should re-examine your ability to deal with grown up subjects.

Paranoia has run rampant in some Yankee fans.

This forum is called the "baseball forum".

NOT Yankee fans talking about the Yankees.

NOT Met fans talking about the Mets

NOT Anskyruben being vile and using the same jokes over and over

NOT JoneJet dissapearing at the last Yankee loss.

I am sorry that it disturbs you that some other fans may talk about your team. I am sorry that may cause you to have thin skin.

If that makes you want to throw ammunition at my team. So be it, they deserve it.

But the self rightousness of some Yankee fans here and their belief that only THEY can talk about their team exposes their own insecurities.

I am sorry that you hopped on the Yankee bandwagon when things were only good. I am also partially sorry they have done squat in recent years to support your bandwagon nature.

The Sabathia outcome will be a great litmus test for this free agent class as well as future classes. It is a BASEBALL topic. If you can not be grown enough to accept that maybe the Yankees may not (again, only may), possibly you should re-examine your ability to deal with grown up subjects.

Be fair, that is a pretty gravity defying thing for big boy Jon.

I am curious to see if CC signs for less. There cannot be too many examples of players signing for less. The Union moaned when A-Rod tried to reduce his deal when attempting to move to the Sox.

What would the repercussions be if CC took less? Reduce the Union's power? Set a precedent that it does not always have to be about the biggest deal?

Be fair, that is a pretty gravity defying thing for big boy Jon.

I am curious to see if CC signs for less. There cannot be too many examples of players signing for less. The Union moaned when A-Rod tried to reduce his deal when attempting to move to the Sox.

What would the repercussions be if CC took less? Reduce the Union's power? Set a precedent that it does not always have to be about the biggest deal?

It really is a big story.

It seems a little unfair that owners can get sued for big $$$$ when they collude, but when when a union colludes?

This goes a little beyond just "the Yankees", but some Yankees fans are too small minded to realize that, and only want other fans to just talk about their own teams.

Funny, from a fan base that used to just scream "look at us, look at us, and please talk about how great we are".

It seems a little unfair that owners can get sued for big $$$$ when they collude, but when when a union colludes?

This goes a little beyond just "the Yankees", but some Yankees fans are too small minded to realize that, and only want other fans to just talk about their own teams.

Funny, from a fan base that used to just scream "look at us, look at us, and please talk about how great we are".

Emphasis on the "us", "us" and "we".

Seriously dude, what the hell are you talking about? I hate and I mean truly hate when a fan from an opposing team tries to lump all fans (this case, Yankee fans) into the same bracket. Listen, all teams have jerks for fans...all teams.

When you just single out Yankee fans, you lose your argument. Because let's face it, that was your intent to begin with.

Me, I'm a bandwagon Yankees fan from when my dad took me to my first game in 1951...it's been one hell of a ride for this "bandwagon" fan.

Seriously dude, what the hell are you talking about? I hate and I mean truly hate when a fan from an opposing team tries to lump all fans (this case, Yankee fans) into the same bracket. Listen, all teams have jerks for fans...all teams.

When you just single out Yankee fans, you lose your argument. Because let's face it, that was your intent to begin with.

Me, I'm a bandwagon Yankees fan from when my dad took me to my first game in 1951...it's been one hell of a ride for this "bandwagon" fan.

I clearly said SOME.

Congratulations on your fandom. It is clearly better than all of us combined.

It is true though, many times Yankee fans are all being lumped in as one in this forum. I have posted it a million times but I had season tickets during the Stump Merrill years. Was 8 in 1978. Didn't see them win it all until 1996.

Since 1996 the Yankees have won a lot. Yankee fans feel good about it. Any fan that has their team win once every 4 years would feel good.

Maybe the hate isn't really jealousy. It is hard to tell though.

I clearly said SOME.

Congratulations on your fandom. It is clearly better than all of us combined.

I know you said some. But, that can be applied to any team and I was just pointing out that you picked on Yankee fans.

If any team can be signaled out it's Red Sox fans. I've never seen so many fans wearing their gear as I do now. Case in point was last weeks Partiots/Dolphins game. Moss makes a TD reception and his momentum carries him into the endzone seats...there's a kid patting him on his back with a "B" cap on...someone should tell him it's a football game and he has the wrong team...I've said it before, "many" and not "some" Red Sox fans feel with their two WS rings recently that they invented baseball.

Oh, and I'll take the "congratulations" very humbly...you see, this Yankees fan doesn't need to tell the rest of the baseball community what a rich tradition it has...26 WS titles tells it all.

I know you said some. But, that can be applied to any team and I was just pointing out that you picked on Yankee fans.

If any team can be signaled out it's Red Sox fans. I've never seen so many fans wearing their gear as I do now. Case in point was last weeks Partiots/Dolphins game. Moss makes a TD reception and his momentum carries him into the endzone seats...there's a kid patting him on his back with a "B" cap on...someone should tell him it's a football game and he has the wrong team...I've said it before, "many" and not "some" Red Sox fans feel with their two WS rings recently that they invented baseball.

Oh, and I'll take the "congratulations" very humbly...you see, this Yankees fan doesn't need to tell the rest of the baseball community what a rich tradition it has...26 WS titles tells it all.

Yankees are the team that was being talked about in this thread. And, congratulations, you just lumped yourself in the bandwagon group that screams 26!, 26!, as soon as any attack is made on the holy palace.

Oh funny how you deride me for mocking a portion of a fanbase, yet you do the same thing one post later.

You point made zero sense when I pointed out to you that I said SOME, and you chastised me for painting with a broad brush, only to retract that it was made about the Yankees.

It is true though, many times Yankee fans are all being lumped in as one in this forum. I have posted it a million times but I had season tickets during the Stump Merrill years. Was 8 in 1978. Didn't see them win it all until 1996.

Since 1996 the Yankees have won a lot. Yankee fans feel good about it. Any fan that has their team win once every 4 years would feel good.

Maybe the hate isn't really jealousy. It is hard to tell though.

I can understand you screaming 4! much more than I can some Yankee fans screaming 26!

If you want medals for following a terrible team, my chest is then loaded.

Yankees are the team that was being talked about in this thread. And, congratulations, you just lumped yourself in the bandwagon group that screams 26!, 26!, as soon as any attack is made on the holy palace.

Oh funny how you deride me for mocking a portion of a fanbase, yet you do the same thing one post later.

You point made zero sense when I pointed out to you that I said SOME, and you chastised me for painting with a broad brush, only to retract that it was made about the Yankees.

You need to relax...I know it's been sometime now that your team has gone without winning a championship.

The thing about 26 ws rings went way over your head. I never tell anyone about that distiction...what I was pointing out was if you're a baseball fan, you already know that stat.

You need to relax...I know it's been sometime now that your team has gone without winning a championship.

The thing about 26 ws rings went way over your head. I never tell anyone about that distiction...what I was pointing out was if you're a baseball fan, you already know that stat.

You were the one that went on attack about me lumping fanbases. When I told you that was not the case, you went hostile.

You should take a spoon of your own medicine

I can understand you screaming 4! much more than I can some Yankee fans screaming 26!

If you want medals for following a terrible team, my chest is then loaded.

So let me get this straight -- Yankee fans shouldn't brag that their team has won a bunch? Is that in some way offensive to other teams that have won less?

If any team can be signaled out it's Red Sox fans. I've never seen so many fans wearing their gear as I do now. Case in point was last weeks Partiots/Dolphins game. Moss makes a TD reception and his momentum carries him into the endzone seats...there's a kid patting him on his back with a "B" cap on...someone should tell him it's a football game and he has the wrong team... I've said it before, "many" and not "some" Red Sox fans feel with their two WS rings recently that they invented baseball.

NSDQ you blew this one.

When I lived in KC and would goto a Sox/Royals game. I always saw a few people there with NY caps and jerseys. Why? I am sure there were Sox fans at KC/Yanks games as well.

So does by the virtue of your team having 26 titles make Yank fan an expert? Far from it. That is always the last resort of a lost argument with Yank fan. Anything you say critical about the Yankees is met with "yeah, but we have 26 titles saying otherwise."

It is funny. The same thing Patriots fans are being knocked for you see in Yankee/Jets fan. The irony.

NSDQ you blew this one.

When I lived in KC and would goto a Sox/Royals game. I always saw a few people there with NY caps and jerseys. Why? I am sure there were Sox fans at KC/Yanks games as well.

So does by the virtue of your team having 26 titles make Yank fan an expert? Far from it. That is always the last resort of a lost argument with Yank fan. Anything you say critical about the Yankees is met with "yeah, but we have 26 titles saying otherwise."

It is funny. The same thing Patriots fans are being knocked for you see in Yankee/Jets fan. The irony.

Again, we all have opinions and that's yours. Living in South Florida I never saw a Bosox cap until they won the title in '04. But hey, just keep on coming on a Jets and Yankees forum and knock their fans...it's very becoming. Kind of like a Marine (which you're not) coming into an Army club and saying the Army sucks...good call.

NSDQ you blew this one.

Now that you mention it I think I have seen this phrase here a time or two. :biggrin:

Archived