Is The Moving Of The Practice Facility A Reason The Jets Are 8-3?

jetsrule128

It's an interesting point. The Jets were known for a long time for late season collapses, and conditioning pays off late in the season. The Jets facilities at Hofstra, it turns out, were considered pretty out of date. It is hard to imagine, considering the money sunk into an NFL franchise, but if the facilites were so inadequate that the players did not get as good a workout as other teams were getting at their facilities, then you might have a point there.

It's an interesting point. The Jets were known for a long time for late season collapses, and conditioning pays off late in the season. The Jets facilities at Hofstra, it turns out, were considered pretty out of date. It is hard to imagine, considering the money sunk into an NFL franchise, but if the facilites were so inadequate that the players did not get as good a workout as other teams were getting at their facilities, then you might have a point there.

plus it was reported some players hated hofstra

You make a really good point.

i dont think so. i think it has to do with the players we brought in and the mentality that they have.

You also make a good point.

I think some of the new players (if not all) were sold on how nice the new facility is and that was a part of the reason they came to play here in New York. So in a way, yeah it is a reason for us to be 8-3.

Of course.

Forget Brett Favre, Kris Jenkins, Alan Faneca, Damien Woody & Calvin Pace. It was the ****ing facilities.

Quick, hurry up. Someone send them over 60 more of the newest Bowflexes so we can go undefeated next season.

i dont think so. i think it has to do with the players we brought in and the mentality that they have.

I'd say 80% of it had to do with that. I'll give the other 20% to the move though. It definitely helps that the players are not shuttling back and forth between NJ and Long Island all the time.

Funny, I was talking about this with a dead hooker just yesterday. (Relax, she was already dead when I hired her). I think it had a big impact on this team. By all accounts the practice facilities are among the best in the league and, from a psychological standpoint at least, it has to give the team a sense of legitimacy. They're big-time now and the new faces, the new stadium, and the amazing practice facilities have all had an impact on changing the "second-rate" mentality and losing culture. The more you have, the more you have to work for it. Anyway, the hooker agreed before I folded her in half and put her back in the freezer.

It isn't the only reason, but you can sure as hell say that it has helped.

- Helped bring in free agents

- Less commute

- Better fitness

- Quicker recovery

- Big team mentality

Some of the proof will be in the years to come, can the Jets keep it up? Become a yearly playoff contender as opposed to this yo-yo?

BZ

It isn't the only reason, but you can sure as hell say that it has helped.

- Helped bring in free agents

- Less commute

- Better fitness

- Quicker recovery

- Big team mentality

Some of the proof will be in the years to come, can the Jets keep it up? Become a yearly playoff contender as opposed to this yo-yo?

BZ

It always seemed like the Jets were cursed, but perhaps it was inferior training and a long commute that screwed things up. How many times did the Jets come out flat at a home game over the years? I know that I personally have felt that we do better on the road in the past. This year I don't really get that notion anymore.

The players are definitely a factor over last year, but throughout Jet history we have had some decent teams talent wise that would underperform. I think the facilities definitely played a factor in that.

We're going to need a good QB once Favre leaves, but as long as Favre is here I think the Jets will be a force.

mmm nah, I'd say its Favre and Jenkins...

Remember that bringing Favre in, they showed him the facilities and he was impressed.

Don't think we got all those guys because of Hofstra.

Give credit where it is due, the new training complex was a good idea and made the team, overall, more competitive.

BZ

Definitely helps. Basically every game was an away game for us for a very long time. You had a basically 2 hour trip on gameday each time. Now it's probably like 15 minutes, which is what it usually is for a home game.

They stayed in a hotel the night before the game, so the trip wasn't 2 hours, but still an away game.

Florham Park to East Rutherford assuming they all live there is more than 15 minutes. It's probably closer to 30

It must be the higher property taxes that did it.

Yes. If we had just kept Chad Pennington, Adrien Clarke, Anthony Clement, Victor Hobson and Dewayne Robertson right now we'd still be 8-3, if not better. Maybe those players would've been even more pumped up about the facilities. :rolleyes:

No, no, no Frank. It is the weight benches, hot tubs, nicer rooms and the pretty trees in New Jersey. Get it right.

My money is on the FLIGHT CREW as opposed to those Banner Boys all those years .I here Woody`s next big plan is going to buy 300 acres for the hunting of Large game ,which you will only be able to gain entrance to as a member of the New York JETS! Woody is pulling out all the stops to get Brett back for at least 1 more year.

Yes. If we had just kept Chad Pennington, Adrien Clarke, Anthony Clement, Victor Hobson and Dewayne Robertson right now we'd still be 8-3, if not better. Maybe those players would've been even more pumped up about the facilities. :rolleyes:

Why are you so opposed to the idea that improved training facilites might be a factor?

There are over 60 players on the team, practice squad, and bouncing back and forth between the roster and getting cut. If space is limited and the players have to wait to get to the proper equipment to maximize their performance, that cuts down on the quality of workout and over the course of years will be reflected in games.

We've been known as a team which faded in December since at least the eighties, and apparently we've been known as the team with the most outdated practice facility for some time. Why is it so outlandish to consider that there might be a connection?

Why are you so opposed to the idea that improved training facilites might be a factor?

There are over 60 players on the team, practice squad, and bouncing back and forth between the roster and getting cut. If space is limited and the players have to wait to get to the proper equipment to maximize their performance, that cuts down on the quality of workout and over the course of years will be reflected in games.

We've been known as a team which faded in December since at least the eighties, and apparently we've been known as the team with the most outdated practice facility for some time. Why is it so outlandish to consider that there might be a connection?

61 players on a team

Without a doubt, yes.

As someone pointed out earlier, the new practice facilities were a major selling point to the new players coming in this year. One helicopter tour with Woody (combined with $ of course), and they were hooked. Sorry to say, but Hofstra was a dump compared to the new facility and didn't appeal to free agents.

Don't forget that many of these players are also family men. The convenience of practicing close to the home stadium and having a nice upscale area to raise a family do not go unnoticed to players deciding whether they want to sign here or not.

Coaching maybe? I can't remember a faded team under Bill Parcells. Infact I think they got better as the months went on.

Okay, so Parcells and Walsh were considered the top two coaches of the 90's. And Parcells made no secret of the fact that, starting from the first cuts of preseason, he built his teams and personnel to function best in December in cold weather stadiums.

But how do we know that Parcells' extraordinary abilities didn't merely cover up for a deficiency which actually existed-the differential between the Jets' training facilities and the rest of the league. If your players are not getting the best possible workout, their abilities will be diminished. And if you have the worst training facilites in the league, are you absolutely sure there is no difference in the workouts the players are getting between Hofstra and Florham Park?

Archived