Tynes seeks pardon for his brother

PFT.com

TYNES SEEKS PARDON FOR HIS BROTHER

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 26, 2008, 10:02 a.m.

New York Giants kicker Lawrence Tynes has hired a lawyer to request a presidential pardon for his brother, a convicted drug trafficker doing 27 years in prison.

The Bureau of Prisons web site lists Mark Tynes as having a release date of November 8, 2026, but Lawrence Tynes is hoping that before President Bush leaves office on January 20, he will set Mark free. Lawrence Tynes rarely speaks publicly about his brother, but attorney Rober Ortiz told the New York Daily News that he thinks there

Giants kicker Lawrence Tynes wants one more unlikely victory in this Super Bowl year - and he's hoping the Bush administration can make it happen. Tynes, the hero of the NFC title game, seeks a White House order freeing his jailed brother Mark, a convicted drug trafficker doing 27 years. Lawrence Tynes acknowledges his older brother's guilt but believes the sentence is overly harsh Two factors are working against him: Bush has granted very few pardons or commutations. "This President has virtually ignored this power," said Prof. Dan Kobil, a pardon process expert at Capital University Law School in Columbus. "He's by far the stingiest pardoner." Second - and more problematic - is Mark Tynes' criminal history. He was saddled with a prior felony drug charge before his 2004 conviction as kingpin of a syndicate that transported 3,600 pounds of marijuana between Texas and Florida. Mark Tynes refused to cooperate with prosecutors - and his sentence was extended from 151 months to 324 months over allegations of witness intimidation. Without presidential help, Tynes isn't scheduled to leave prison until November 2026. (New York Daily News)

Edit...sorry about that. Didn't see that 124 had posted it. Should have known better...

Since I believe that marijuana should be legalized, I hate to see anyone go to jail for it.

Of course, by the time you are dealing with vast amounts of the stuff and have full time employees, you should know you are in deep **** if they catch you. This is no innocent 19 year old experimenting. But the scientific evidence points to the fact that marijuana's effects are not in the same league as cocaine or heroin.

By no means am I advocating anyone break the law. The laws are there, you break them and you pay. But I would like to see the law changed.

Mark Tynes got 324 months for a large scale:character0282: mj distribution enterprise in Florida.

His four co-defs got 21 to 60 months on plea agreements.

Mark, partly because of two previous felony convictions for mj, and because he didn't take a plea, received 324 months and is not due for parole till 2026.

For what it's worth, his co-defs explained that they took deals because everyone was caught red-handed. Mark didn't take a deal because he would have had to plea to life in prison with the POSSIBILITY that his sentence would be shorter. Despite brother Lawrence's urging him to take the deal, Mark didn't trust the feds and went to trial and lost.

Eff him. He is a 3 times convicted dealer not a user.

Not a good gambler either.

27 years for selling weed? That IS excessive. If it was a hardcore drug it wouldn't bother me, but pot is less harmful than alcohol so gimme a break.

Maybe so, but do you think that maybe, just maybe he would get the message after two prior felony convictions? The guy is an idiot.

Bush has pardoned a lot worse offenses imo. I don't see the big deal with selling drugs. So people use drugs...so what? If you aren't committing any actual crimes what is the big deal? Don't tell me it's to prevent people from harming themselves, McDonald's food is pretty damn harmful yet it's not illegal for them to operate...

I don't do any drugs because there's no reason for me to, and I'm careful with what I put into my body. I also don't eat fast food either though, and I avoid drinking. Marijuana is way safer than drinking or eating fast food.

Maybe so, but do you think that maybe, just maybe he would get the message after two prior felony convictions? The guy is an idiot.

Clearly the guy is an idiot. But Mason is right 27 years for selling pot?

Something really wrong with the system there.

Manslaughter? Out in 3

27 years for selling weed? That IS excessive. If it was a hardcore drug it wouldn't bother me, but pot is less harmful than alcohol so gimme a break.

It's a drug and like any drug it's 3 strikes and you're out. He should have learned his lesson the 1st 2 times. Dumba$$, Let em rot.

Archived