NFL "rigging" Super Bowl

GM

http://www.kansascity.com/491/story/910341.html

NFL Preview - Denver (6-5) at N.Y. Jets (8-3)

By Lyle Fitzsimmons, Sports Network

The Sports Network

Conspirators...start your theories.

Lest anyone believe the New York Jets had gotten to their current level of AFC elite status based on actual on-field prowess, the National Football League on Tuesday afternoon began fatally tipping its hand toward an ultimately underhanded postseason objective.

An all-Gotham Super Bowl...with Jersey hero Bruce Springsteen as the crooning sideshow.

Anyway, amid the usual gaggle of stats and nuggets compiled to spoon-feed hungry reporters and TV analysts each week, the New York-based loop - that figures, huh? - included a Gang Green-related morsel no self-respecting football fan would ingest without a snicker.

Seems that Eric Mangini & Co., who through 11 games sit atop the conference's East Division with an 8-3 record, have been provided quite the easy road over the final five weeks as they attempt to secure both an unlikely playoff berth and an even more unlikely first-round bye.

Instead of a final-month gauntlet chock full of fellow division leaders and potential playoff counterparts, the J-E-T-S are on the verge of a closing third so non-threatening that it has all the requisite signs of interloping by higher-placed Manhattan powers-that-be.

Oh, did we mention the Giants are 10-1 and a clear favorite to repeat in the NFC?

While 7-4 conference-mate Baltimore faces a final leg with a won-loss record of 27-27-1 and fellow 8-3 off-week pursuer Pittsburgh looks down a 35-20 barrel to wrap up the schedule, the chosen ones in green and white have the AFC's third-easiest remaining trip at 23 up and 32 down.

The would-be challenges (wink, wink...) begin Sunday in East Rutherford, where New York - which, incidentally, won its lone world title 40 years ago this January - faces a Denver Broncos team that started its finishing kick with a 21-point home loss to the 2-8 Oakland Raiders.

Later tests will include woeful San Francisco (3-8), inept Seattle (2-9), slumping Buffalo (1-4 in its last five) and a visiting Miami team fresh off its own double-digit home loss and tenuously leaning on the late-season resuscitative powers of one Chad Pennington at quarterback.

Pittsburgh's trek, you ask?

How about...at New England (7-4), home with Dallas (7-4), at Baltimore (7-4), at Tennessee (10-1)

Still, in spite of the evidence, Mangini's playing it straight.

"I guess I look at it totally different," he said in Tuesday's New York Daily News. "I look at it as a five-game season and the next team. I know that's not flashy or exciting. I just think it's a long time to go before the end of the season. It's over a quarter of the season left, and so many things can happen."

The Broncos, meanwhile, hope at least some of those things turn out positive.

I can't figure out if this dickbag is serious or not. NFL matchups are set years in advance and the AFC east just happens to be lucky enough to be facing the two worst divisions in football this year - the AFC and NFC West..

I can't figure out if this dickbag is serious or not. NFL matchups are set years in advance and the AFC east just happens to be lucky enough to be facing the two worst divisions in football this year - the AFC and NFC West..

I hate it when we can't figure out if some dipsh*t is being sarcastic or just dumb as a stump. :biggrin:

http://www.kansascity.com/491/story/910341.html

The Sports Network

Lest anyone believe the New York Jets had gotten to their current level of AFC elite status based on actual on-field prowess, the National Football League on Tuesday afternoon began fatally tipping its hand toward an ultimately underhanded postseason objective.

An all-Gotham Super Bowl...with Jersey hero Bruce Springsteen as the crooning sideshow.

Anyway, amid the usual gaggle of stats and nuggets compiled to spoon-feed hungry reporters and TV analysts each week, the New York-based loop - that figures, huh? - included a Gang Green-related morsel no self-respecting football fan would ingest without a snicker.

Seems that Eric Mangini & Co., who through 11 games sit atop the conference's East Division with an 8-3 record, have been provided quite the easy road over the final five weeks as they attempt to secure both an unlikely playoff berth and an even more unlikely first-round bye.

Instead of a final-month gauntlet chock full of fellow division leaders and potential playoff counterparts, the J-E-T-S are on the verge of a closing third so non-threatening that it has all the requisite signs of interloping by higher-placed Manhattan powers-that-be.

Oh, did we mention the Giants are 10-1 and a clear favorite to repeat in the NFC?

While 7-4 conference-mate Baltimore faces a final leg with a won-loss record of 27-27-1 and fellow 8-3 off-week pursuer Pittsburgh looks down a 35-20 barrel to wrap up the schedule, the chosen ones in green and white have the AFC's third-easiest remaining trip at 23 up and 32 down.

The would-be challenges (wink, wink...) begin Sunday in East Rutherford, where New York - which, incidentally, won its lone world title 40 years ago this January - faces a Denver Broncos team that started its finishing kick with a 21-point home loss to the 2-8 Oakland Raiders.

Later tests will include woeful San Francisco (3-8), inept Seattle (2-9), slumping Buffalo (1-4 in its last five) and a visiting Miami team fresh off its own double-digit home loss and tenuously leaning on the late-season resuscitative powers of one Chad Pennington at quarterback.

Pittsburgh's trek, you ask?

How about...at New England (7-4), home with Dallas (7-4), at Baltimore (7-4), at Tennessee (10-1)

Still, in spite of the evidence, Mangini's playing it straight.

"I guess I look at it totally different," he said in Tuesday's New York Daily News. "I look at it as a five-game season and the next team. I know that's not flashy or exciting. I just think it's a long time to go before the end of the season. It's over a quarter of the season left, and so many things can happen."

The Broncos, meanwhile, hope at least some of those things turn out positive.

There's so many things wrong with that asswipe's article I dont know where to start.

He is a dip****. He's serious, but trying to be funny so no one thinks he's a dip****...we know better though.

The Sports Network

Nah, this is meant as a "tongue in cheek" conspiracy type contest.

Look at he bolded letters. "Conspirators...start your theories."

In that light it is really a funny article. I like it

He's not trying to be funny. He's a dill-hole. (it's always good to reference Beavis and Butthead--very topical, especially if you're prone to acid flashbacks.) I like how he stated that the poor steelers have to face both New England and Tennessee. Wow! Those poor Bastards! No way any team can beat both of those Juggernauts. Total Butt-wad.

Archived