Wal Mart worker killed in Stampede

slowmoe57

A worker died after being trampled and a woman miscarried when hundreds of shoppers smashed through the doors of a Long Island Wal-Mart Friday morning, witnesses said.

The unidentified worker, employed as an overnight stock clerk, tried to hold back the unruly crowds just after the Valley Stream store opened at 5 a.m.

Witnesses said the surging throngs of shoppers knocked the man down. He fell and was stepped on. As he gasped for air, shoppers ran over and around him.

"He was bum-rushed by 200 people," said Jimmy Overby, 43, a co-worker. "They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too...I literally had to fight people off my back."

Nassau County Police are still investigating and would not confirm the witness accounts. The Medical Examiner will determine the cause of death. Police did say there were several injuries but weren't more specific.

Jessica Keyes was among the shoppers. She told the Daily News she saw a woman knocked down just a few feet from the dying worker.

"When the paramedics came, she said 'I'm pregnant,'" Keyes said.

Paramedics treated the woman inside the store and then, according to Keys, told the woman:

"There's nothing we can do. The baby is gone."

Before police shut down the store, eager shoppers streamed past emergency crews as they worked furiously to save the store clerk's life.

"They were working on him, but you could see he was dead, said Halcyon Alexander, 29. "People were still coming through."

Only a few stopped.

"They're savages," said shopper Kimberly Cribbs, 27. "It's sad. It's terrible."

Link

Fools, puppets and dunces never learn. We have this massive financial collapse and all people (idiots) want to do is get right back onto the economic merry-go-round headed for the next monetary disaster. Last week, all government officials wanted to talk about was getting "consumers" to start "using plastic" again. Have we learned nothing? We sure didn't after the real Black Monday of 1929. We have a chance to reinvent ourselves at this moment in history. We can still follow the capitalist ideals without becoming uber-greedy gluttons who think nothing about continuing to shop while a human life has just been extinguished for the stupidest reason imaginable: to get a bargain. F**k you to the animals that perpetrated this crime. RIP, to the store worker who probably needed extra cash, or a store discount, to be able to pay for holiday gifts. Wake the f**k up everyone. There's still time for our species to create greatness rather than mindless dread such as we all just read about here.

While people are animals, the retail stores are culpable by creating this crazed atmosphere where people are willing to risk physical harm to save a few bucks.

Meh. It's the people who are *******s (BTW, that wouldn't have happened in NJ, we're classier people).

The stores should hire more security when they expect crowds like that though.

I'd sue.

Meh. It's the people who are *******s (BTW, that wouldn't have happened in NJ, we're classier people).

The stores should hire more security when they expect crowds like that though.

I'd sue.

No, I completely agree that people are morons, but as we know, the majority of the population are sheep and will come out in herds to save a few dollars on items they can't afford in the first place. By telling all the lemmings what fantastic deals they'll get on this one day and setting a small window for these savings, the stores are creating an atmosphere where things like this happen.

As far as the location of this tragedy, it was in Valley Stream, which has been unofficially annexed by Queens. As a Long Islander, I stake no claim to this town. :P

Fools, puppets and dunces never learn. We have this massive financial collapse and all people (idiots) want to do is get right back onto the economic merry-go-round headed for the next monetary disaster. Last week, all government officials wanted to talk about was getting "consumers" to start "using plastic" again. Have we learned nothing? We sure didn't after the real Black Monday of 1929. We have a chance to reinvent ourselves at this moment in history. We can still follow the capitalist ideals without becoming uber-greedy gluttons who think nothing about continuing to shop while a human life has just been extinguished for the stupidest reason imaginable: to get a bargain. F**k you to the animals that perpetrated this crime. RIP, to the store worker who probably needed extra cash, or a store discount, to be able to pay for holiday gifts. Wake the f**k up everyone. There's still time for our species to create greatness rather than mindless dread such as we all just read about here.

Very well said

I'm not sure if the tone of this post is a "I'm too highbrow for Walmart" statement, or a commentary on Walmart's employment practices. Please disambiguate so that I can chuckle to myself accordingly.

The latter would be a small piece of the puzzle. Employment practices are just one of many reasons every Wal-Mart should be firebombed. Detestation of the local economy being another piece. Strain on manufacturing and production cycles being another one. Extensive use of sweatshop labor for those low-low prices. Disregard for product safety. Environmental disregard. Anti Country of Origin Labeling.

Oh yeah, and I'm way too highbrow to shop at Walmart.

gal_walmart_stampede_01.jpg

Hundreds of shoppers smashed through windows at a Long Island Wal-Mart early Friday morning, killing one store employee in the stampede. Click here to read more details. News' reader Nakea Augustine caught the chaotic scene on her cell phone, check out the photos.

gal_walmart_stampede_02.jpg

The unruly crowds stormed the store at 5 a.m., when the Valley Stream store opened. Above, shoppers wait for the doors to open.

gal_walmart_stampede_03.jpg

Hundreds gathered before the store's opening.

gal_walmart_stampede_06.jpg

The crowd trampled a 34-year-old worker, employed as an overnight stock clerk, who was rushed to the hospital and pronounced dead just after 6 a.m.

gal_walmart_stampede_04.jpg

A 28-year-old pregnant woman was also trampled in the mad rush and hospitalized for observation.

gal_walmart_stampede_05.jpg

Shoppers continued to pour into the store after the man was knocked to the ground before police shut down the store.

What's they didn't tell you is that the worker will not receive any death benefits, because WalMart offers virtually no benefits to its employees.

The worker was just trying to put a little food on the table.

What a country. Shop, Shop shop, you morons!

Yeah, white people would never trample anyone. :rolleyes:

No dummy. Walmarts all over the country attract the lowest common denominator of society. In Nebraska it toothless hicks with 5 lil kids in stained wifebeaters with mullets. In Valley Stream it's going to be a different kind of hooligan loser. I stay away from those places because the trash of society shops there. I rather pay an extra buck for a gallon of milk and go somewhere decent where I don't have to battle through a herd of broke ass idiots to shop. I grew up in Hollis so I know exactly the kind of people that are there. The same morons that used to shoot up the movie theatre at Green Acres when I was in High School.

Wow, what a horrible story. The fact that people continued to trample on that poor man....and for what? Savings on a tv or something else?

The Best Buy here in town seemed to have the right idea...let 50 customers in at a time. Plus there was a straight line to the door along the sidewalk. Not the chaos of hundreds of people crowded by the door like that at Wal-Mart.

Wow, what a horrible story. The fact that people continued to trample on that poor man....and for what? Savings on a tv or something else?

The Best Buy here in town seemed to have the right idea...let 50 customers in at a time. Plus there was a straight line to the door along the sidewalk. Not the chaos of hundreds of people crowded by the door like that at Wal-Mart.

You can't really say that 'people continued to trample' him. When the pushing gets going, there's no stopping it. No one is going to be able to stop everyone from behind from pushing them in, and all you're going to do by trying is get yourself trampled.

Regardless, Walmart should be firebombed.

You can't really say that 'people continued to trample' him. When the pushing gets going, there's no stopping it. No one is going to be able to stop everyone from behind from pushing them in, and all you're going to do by trying is get yourself trampled.

Regardless, Walmart should be firebombed.

Witnesses said the surging throngs of shoppers knocked the man down. He fell and was stepped on. As he gasped for air, shoppers ran over and around him.

"He was bum-rushed by 200 people," said Jimmy Overby, 43, a co-worker. "They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too...I literally had to fight people off my back."

Sure sounds like he continued to get trampled to me. Either way, a tragedy.

Sure sounds like he continued to get trampled to me. Either way, a tragedy.

I'm not saying that he didn't 'continue to be trampled'. I'm saying that once that gets started, it's impossible to stop. Any individual who tried would also thusly be trampled. Without the group as a collective stopping, anyone who hits the ground is pretty much doomed.

I'm not saying that he didn't 'continue to be trampled'. I'm saying that once that gets started, it's impossible to stop. Any individual who tried would also thusly be trampled. Without the group as a collective stopping, anyone who hits the ground is pretty much doomed.

what a friggin nightmare. you just can't let crowds build up like that in an open parking lot.

this sure isn't the 1st time something like this happened & should come as no surprise to authorities

No dummy. Walmarts all over the country attract the lowest common denominator of society. In Nebraska it toothless hicks with 5 lil kids in stained wifebeaters with mullets. In Valley Stream it's going to be a different kind of hooligan loser. I stay away from those places because the trash of society shops there. I rather pay an extra buck for a gallon of milk and go somewhere decent where I don't have to battle through a herd of broke ass idiots to shop. I grew up in Hollis so I know exactly the kind of people that are there. The same morons that used to shoot up the movie theatre at Green Acres when I was in High School.

Yeah, but you sound like a card-carrying MENSA member, Tardo.

what a friggin nightmare. you just can't let crowds build up like that in an open parking lot.

this sure isn't the 1st time something like this happened & should come as no surprise to authorities

Some years ago, I think it was 73, my dad tells the story of the Knicks making the playoffs, and he and his friends waited online outside the Garden for tickets. The same thing happened. People were falling down and getting trampled as they started opening the box office. He says he felt like his feet weren't even touching the ground and he was just being carried inside by the crowd.

I believe this is what started the playoff ticket raffles.

Archived