Lane Kiffin to Tennessee...

SweetLee83

Tennessee has reached an agreement with former Oakland Raiders coach Lane Kiffin to take over as the Volunteers' next coach, with an announcement planned for Monday, barring any snags, according to multiple sources.

Kiffin, 33, will be making his college head coaching debut in succeeding Phillip Fulmer, who will coach his last game for the Vols on Saturday.

Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton denied reports on Wednesday that Kiffin had been offered a contract. But Kiffin has been at the forefront of the Vols' search for some time.

Part of the holdup is that Tennessee didn't want to do anything officially this week that would take away from Fulmer's final game Saturday against Kentucky. Fulmer was fired by Hamilton on Nov. 2 and allowed to finish out the season. He's been at Tennessee as a player, assistant coach and head coach for 35 years.

The university has dubbed Saturday's game "Phillip Fulmer Appreciation Day" at Neyland Stadium in celebration of his 17-year tenure.

Kiffin was 5-15 in a year and a half with the Oakland Raiders before being fired earlier this season by team owner Al Davis.

Kiffin, the youngest head coach in NFL history when he was hired by the Raiders, earned $2 million per year in Oakland. His salary at Tennessee is expected to exceed that.

One of the big draws with Kiffin was the staff that he'll potentially be able to put together. He's talked with his father, Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, about joining him at Tennessee. The elder Kiffin is considered one of the foremost defensive minds in football.

Kiffin will become only the fifth head coach at Tennessee in the last 45 years. He had stints as offensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator at USC and shared play-calling duties with quarterbacks coach Steve Sarkisian during his two-year run as offensive coordinator with the Trojans in 2005 and 2006

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3731656

There is talk that he may get his Dad, Monte as well As as Ed Ogeron the defenseive co-ordinater of the New Orleans Saints on his staff. Tennessee is a football school and they have the money to spend.He is an offensive guy and Monte and Ogeron are defesive guys and Ogeron is considered a great recruiter.

They will be putting a pro look together for their coaching staff- question is will it work in a college setting?

yes ,,most kids who understand gettin to next (nfl) level want to play in a Proset offense, as the spread has a HORRIFIC rate of turnin out NFL players...

Plus these kids love to see NFL resumed coaches in thie rliving room,,

North carolina has gotten great recruitinbgf classes and wins via Butch Davis's NFL laden staff...

They will be putting a pro look together for their coaching staff- question is will it work in a college setting?

I think it would if you are in an area that can support it like Carrol in SoCal.

In TN from the games I have seen and the highlight shows, there seems to be alot of teams running some form of the spread. One game I saw they would rotate the QB out. One ran an offense with a pro look and the other a spread.

I would not be surprised to see TN move to a spread.

I think it would if you are in an area that can support it like Carrol in SoCal.

In TN from the games I have seen and the highlight shows, there seems to be alot of teams running some form of the spread. One game I saw they would rotate the QB out. One ran an offense with a pro look and the other a spread.

I would not be surprised to see TN move to a spread.

uh,,no

Kiffen runs proset,,wont change..

easier to recruit with proset O,,spread has a tendency to get lesser educated recruits who only want glory with no clue tha the spread is HORRID in gewttn kids to NFL and bein succesfuil when they do get there

uh,,no

Kiffen runs proset,,wont change..

easier to recruit with proset O,,spread has a tendency to get lesser educated recruits who only want glory with no clue tha the spread is HORRID in gewttn kids to NFL and bein succesfuil when they do get there

Really?

Kiffin will need to change if he wants to succeed. He was a great recruiter at USC and he will need to be as good if not better at UT. He is no longer in the top program in a deeply talented area.

He is at best, the 5th best recruiter in the SEC behind Meyer, Miles, Richt and Saban. While TN has HS FB talent, it is not as deep as Cali. Not even close. Plus, he is a West Coast guy trying to break into the Southeast. Good luck there Lane.

He can sell UT as a path to the NFL on defense. There are recent examples of that. The track record for a path to the NFL on offense is spotty. He is going to have trouble finding enough talent to set-up a productive pro-set. A pocket passer. An OL. A decent set of skill positions. UT is not in position to do that. He is not going to out talent the Gators or Bulldogs.

Texas Tech has shown that the spread can level the playing field a bit by spreading out the more talented teams. It will not be the total answer, but until Kiffin can establish roots in the Southeast, he will need a system that does not need 11 parts in place to work. He can mask alot of shortcomings with players that the Gators do not recruit because they are a little too small or short.

If you look at Florida, the recruit for the spread and have one of the most successful programs over the last few years. Kiffin will follow his path if he is wise.

Really?

Kiffin will need to change if he wants to succeed. He was a great recruiter at USC and he will need to be as good if not better at UT. He is no longer in the top program in a deeply talented area.

He is at best, the 5th best recruiter in the SEC behind Meyer, Miles, Richt and Saban. While TN has HS FB talent, it is not as deep as Cali. Not even close. Plus, he is a West Coast guy trying to break into the Southeast. Good luck there Lane.

He can sell UT as a path to the NFL on defense. There are recent examples of that. The track record for a path to the NFL on offense is spotty. He is going to have trouble finding enough talent to set-up a productive pro-set. A pocket passer. An OL. A decent set of skill positions. UT is not in position to do that. He is not going to out talent the Gators or Bulldogs.

Texas Tech has shown that the spread can level the playing field a bit by spreading out the more talented teams. It will not be the total answer, but until Kiffin can establish roots in the Southeast, he will need a system that does not need 11 parts in place to work. He can mask alot of shortcomings with players that the Gators do not recruit because they are a little too small or short.

If you look at Florida, the recruit for the spread and have one of the most successful programs over the last few years. Kiffin will follow his path if he is wise.

cant find talent for proset?????

that makes NO sense,,none..

he will run proset, plain and simple,,,,and he will easily find the talent..of course he wil lhave 4/5 wr sets at times,,the yall do

lots of these kids want to play right away and thats somethin he can sell thjem over bama right now...

but talent for proset is not hard to find,,not at all...

recruiting in unknow territory hard at 1st , thats hwy he will keep Tenn best recruiter onb staff I assuem,,all coaches do tha tto keep high school connections,,Butch Davis did it at UNC with huge success,,kept Kenny Browning on the staff for south high school ties..

MOST kids WANT the proset, so they can get prepared for the NFL,,trust me,,he will get the talent,,the Spread DOES not produce many successful NFLer, especially QBs..

Tenn wil get its players,,its atop fligfht program and ther eis enough for everyone,,

UNC right now has #7 ranked recruiting class,,when all said and done will be Top15 I guess,,there is talent for all....

cant find talent for proset?????

that makes NO sense,,none..

he will run proset, plain and simple,,,,and he will easily find the talent..of course he wil lhave 4/5 wr sets at times,,the yall do

lots of these kids want to play right away and thats somethin he can sell thjem over bama right now...

but talent for proset is not hard to find,,not at all...

recruiting in unknow territory hard at 1st , thats hwy he will keep Tenn best recruiter onb staff I assuem,,all coaches do tha tto keep high school connections,,Butch Davis did it at UNC with huge success,,kept Kenny Browning on the staff for south high school ties..

MOST kids WANT the proset, so they can get prepared for the NFL,,trust me,,he will get the talent,,the Spread DOES not produce many successful NFLer, especially QBs..

Tenn wil get its players,,its atop fligfht program and ther eis enough for everyone,,

UNC right now has #7 ranked recruiting class,,when all said and done will be Top15 I guess,,there is talent for all....

Butch Davis is not a valid example. He is trying to compete in the ACC. SEC is a different beast altogether.

Most kids want to be in the pros. How they get there matters little. Like I said previously, UT can sell sending defense to the NFL. They send 1-3 players every year it seems.

Offense? One player every other year if they are lucky. He lucks out he gets two QBs (One 5-star) this year, but they both have experience in spread.

Butch Davis is not a valid example. He is trying to compete in the ACC. SEC is a different beast altogether.

Most kids want to be in the pros. How they get there matters little. Like I said previously, UT can sell sending defense to the NFL. They send 1-3 players every year it seems.

Offense? One player every other year if they are lucky. He lucks out he gets two QBs (One 5-star) this year, but they both have experience in spread.

haha,,point is they dont get to NFL via playin in spread anywhere near the rate as proset and people are un derstanding that better now..

smarter top talent kids are startin to stay away from spread and go pro set,,

but what do i know about recruiting ;)

haha,,point is they dont get to NFL via playin in spread anywhere near the rate as proset and people are un derstanding that better now..

smarter top talent kids are startin to stay away from spread and go pro set,,

but what do i know about recruiting ;)

Skill gets them to the NFL.

If a proset was as dominant as you think, Notre Dame would dominate the draft. Since Urban has been Coach at UF, he has sent more skill position players to the NFL then the offensice genius Chuck.

Archived