Burress wounded in accidental shooting

Cant Hackett

The NY State law is pretty cut and dry. Non residents can not carry a handgun in the State. I'm pretty sure Plax wasn't carrying a rifle or shotgun.

Will be interesting to see what happened. My hunch is that Plax will claim the gun wasn't his and one of his posse will take the wrap. Kind of like the Puff Daddy/P-Diddy, or whatever he calls himself nowadays, situation a few years ago.

That is nys, which obviously would apply, but new york city laws are even more strict.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could this be the downturn of the mighty Giants?

BZ

Not at all.

Apart from the NFC Championship Game last year Plax hasn't done much at all. I think people forget that he had 2 catches in the Super Bowl and you and I could have caught the game winning TD in that game.

In 9 games this season he has 35 catches for 454 yards and 4 TD's. 10 of those catches and 133 yards came in the season opener.

Not at all.

Apart from the NFC Championship Game last year Plax hasn't done much at all. I think people forget that he had 2 catches in the Super Bowl and you and I could have caught the game winning TD in that game.

In 9 games this season he has 35 catches for 454 yards and 4 TD's. 10 of those catches and 133 yards came in the season opener.

The thing is they don't need him when they are doing their normal thing. But if a team can stop the run on the (i.e. postseason) then they will need him.

They just haven't had to air it out. Can you imagine if he doesn't play again and their season ends when they lose a close shoot out? Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. :)

The thing is they don't need him when they are doing their normal thing. But if a team can stop the run on the (i.e. postseason) then they will need him.

They just haven't had to air it out. Can you imagine if he doesn't play again and their season ends when they lose a close shoot out? Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. :)

It's amazing how much better the Giants got without Shockey, Tiki, and now Burress. I bet the Bengals wish they could find a way to work that mojo.

The guy has issues and the Giants are better off without him.

If it comes down to a shootout I would be more worried about having Eli under center than Plax running routes.

The guy has issues and the Giants are better off without him.

If it comes down to a shootout I would be more worried about having Eli under center than Plax running routes.

When Eli was struggling, Plax was the key to him coming around. For a certain period of time Eli was unable to make a big play unless it went to Burress. Believe me, the Giants want Plaxico on the field if at all possible.

Even more disturbing, he was partying at LQ's in Midtown.

WTF is a superstar like Plax doing at a hole in the wall sh#t night club like LQ's?

That place is way low budget.

Since I live in Boston and we have plenty of crap nightclubs up here, how bad is LQ's? Is it gun worthy? :lol:

Since I live in Boston and we have plenty of crap nightclubs up here, how bad is LQ's? Is it gun worthy? :lol:

Latin Quarters is a hole in the wall. It's very low budget, certainly not a place where superstars would hang out. College kids dont even hang out there. It's akin to one of those after hour spots where people who cant afford those nice clubs lurk. I went there once and that was all I needed to know that I would never set foot there again. It's very ghetto. I dont think he needed a gun, and even if he did need a gun, Im sure one of his entourage members couldve carried it for him. The fact that he had the gun himself with the safety off is idiotic.

The moron shot himself. what an idiot.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8866348

Giants' Burress accidentally shoots self in leg

by Jay Glazer

Jay Glazer is a Senior NFL Writer for FOXSports.com on MSN and also appears every week on FOX NFL Sunday as the network's NFL Insider.

Updated: November 29, 2008, 8:05 PM EST

add this RSS blog email Print

Plaxico Burress' controversial year has just taken a turn for the worse.

The New York Giants wide receiver accidentally shot himself in the right thigh on Friday night, FOXSports.com has learned, not long after being ruled out of Sunday's game against the Redskins with a hamstring injury.

Burress' bad year

Plaxico Burress Plaxico Burress' troubled season hit a sad low Saturday, when Jay Glazer reported the Giants wide receiver accidentally shot himself in the leg. Here's a look at some notable events in his tumultuous 2008. Timeline

The New York Post cited sources who said that Burress shot himself just after midnight near the VIP entrance to the LQ nightclub on Lexington Avenue and had to be hospitalized.

The Post also said that Burress, 31, was allegedly trying to get into the club with fellow Giants player Antonio Pierce when they were confronted by security guards looking for weapons.

The Super Bowl hero, who caught the game-winning catch in the Giants' win over the Patriots in January, admitted to the guards that he was carrying a gun.

He then allegedly moved over to a secluded area away from the club's velvet rope with a guard and started taking the gun out.

It's not clear exactly what happened next, but Burress apparently started trying to unload the bullets from the gun and bobbled it. A shot went off accidentally, ripping through his leg.

At first, security tried to call an ambulance, but Burress refused. He took himself to Cornell Medical Center, where he was treated and released at 2 p.m. today.

Newsday reported Burress has a concealed weapon permit from the state of Florida that expired in May 2008. It is unclear if the permit was renewed; such a license can be renewed up to six months beyond the expiration date in accordance with section 790.06(11)(a) of Florida Statutes.

However, the states of New York and New Jersey do not recognize permits from Florida, so Burress could be charged in the incident.

The NFL also is likely to investigate whether Burress violated its Personal Conduct Policy, which might lead to a suspension.

"We are aware of the fact that Plaxico was involved in an apparent accidental shooting last night," the Giants said in a written statement.

"We have been in contact with Plaxico since shortly after the incident. Plaxico suffered a wound to his right thigh. Obviously, our primary concern is for Plaxico's health and well-being, and given the circumstances, we are relieved to say he was released from a New York City hospital."

The LQ nightclub has a troubled history. In 2005, bodyguards for rapper Ja Rule allegedly shot two men, one fatally, at the club. .

The Giants have discussed the matter with NFL security and are attempting to gather more details.

"This incident could become a matter for law enforcement officials, and because of that we have no comment on any of the details," the team said.

So he's unloading bullets from the gun with his finger on the trigger?

What a moron.

You don't necessarily have to have your finger on the trigger for a gun to go off if it's loaded with the safety off. he's an idiot that obviously never handled a gun before.

You don't necessarily have to have your finger on the trigger for a gun to go off if it's loaded with the safety off. he's an idiot that obviously never handled a gun before.

I know nothing about guns. I thought it goes off when you pull the trigger. If this is a regular occurence then in all aspects you can get shot just touching the thing.

Either way, Plax is a moron anyway.

I know nothing about guns. I thought it goes off when you pull the trigger. If this is a regular occurence then in all aspects you can get shot just touching the thing.

You can touch it. but it can go off if you fumble around with it. who ****ing knows what the idiot was doing.

I agree, he is a moron.

tsk tsk, you should know your JETS history

3. Joe Namath, 1965-77 -- Even before he became a beloved but ridiculously overhyped slice of American sports lore by "guaranteeing'' the Jets' Super Bowl III upset of the heavily favored Baltimore Colts, "Broadway Joe'' was celebrated for his bon vivant lifestyle and his playboy bachelor image. But it's a short trip from lovable rogue to bad-boy reputation in the media capital of the universe, and Namath traveled that path in the year after his greatest triumph on the field.

Before the start of the Jets' training camp in 1969, Namath shockingly retired rather than sell his interest in the Manhattan night club that he co-owned: Bachelor's III. NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle decreed that Namath must sell, because league security forces had information that the FBI was going to bust the club for being the hub of illegal gambling and rackets. Specifically, Rozelle told Namath that members of his ownership group included several unsavory characters believed to have ties to gambling.

Namath called a news conference and made his tearful retirement announcement, defiantly telling Rozelle and the league that it could not dictate who he did business with. Namath was roundly savaged in the press for his stance, and relented a short time later, selling his stake in the club and returning to the field in time to lead the Jets to a second consecutive AFL Eastern Division title.

You can also add Micky Mantle to the list, that guy definitely enjoyed the NY night life. I'm pretty sure Derek Jeter and A-Rod are known for it too. Tom Brady is quite the socialite himself.

The media gives Mantle and Joe Willie a pass, and if Jeter and A-Rod are avid clubbers they get a pass too. So do Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan.

It has nothing to do with having a night life. It has way more to do with getting into trouble. LJ is an idiot, it's not where he went. He could have spit on a woman in a mall, it's not like that is normal behavior anywhere you go. Likewise, these other people listed all didn't have a problem. Hilton and Lohan also happen to have a very good lawyer, I'm thinking maybe some of these NFL players with certain tendencies should look into that and a PR group.

There is usually a safety, and you're supposed to have it engaged. One of my friend's friends had a gun and showed it to me, and gave me a quick education on how to handle and use one. I think what happened was Burress put it in his pocket and it got caught and then went off. I almost did the same thing myself, but of course someone was there and paying attention to keep me from doing that. That's the only time I've handled it myself. That's why you don't put it in your pocket. Police Officers have holsters, and when they're going undercover they probably stick it into their pants, as I was shown to do as well. I don't remember very clearly since this was at least a decade ago, if not more, but I do know there's a safety for sure. Just don't remember exactly how it worked or anything anymore. I suppose there are others on here that would though.

Guns are definitely dangerous and you should definitely not be handling one unless you know what you are doing.

Archived