UFL unveils logo, launches web site

PFT.com

UFL UNVEILS LOGO, LAUNCHES WEB SITE

Posted by Mike Florio on December 1, 2008, 2:05 p.m.

The UFL, a new American pro football league that plans to begin its first season in August 2009, unveiled on Monday its official logo, and launched its official web site.

The league is still looking for owners of six teams that have yet to be given geographical homes, even as the league invites fans to submit suggestions to name the teams.

Per SportsBusiness Journal, owners must commit to investing $30 million to $60 million into their franchises. The teams will have annual salary caps of $20 million, and salary floors of $12 million.

Per a press release issued by the league, three teams will be situated on the West Coast, and three will be headquartered on the East Coast. Games will be played on Thursday and Friday nights.

The release identifies the following cities as potential locations for teams: Hartford, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Monterrey (Mexico), New York, Orlando, Salt Lake City, and San Francisco.

An announcement could soon be coming regarding a cable television partnership, which will result in the national broadcast of one game per week.

We

The league is still looking for owners of six teams that have yet to be given geographical homes, even as the league invites fans to submit suggestions to name the teams.

How about Chapter XI, that's a pretty cool name? In fact that's what they should name the league.

I hope it succeeds. The NFL has gotten too fat and happy with their arrogance. A successful alternative will get rid of the cliques that Goodell has (and Tagliabue before him especially had) as well as hopefully bone up on the officiating that has gotten progressively worse.

The NFL has gotten too fat and happy with their arrogance. A successful alternative will get rid of the cliques that Goodell has (and Tagliabue before him especially had) as well as hopefully bone up on the officiating that has gotten progressively worse.

Replace a few words (ie. "NFL has" with "moderators have") and this reads like a list of good reasons to launch a new Jets message board.

I see this going the way of the XFL.

at least they aren't gonna go the xfl route of playing in february, that was brutal going to those games. And yeah, me and all my friends were dumb enough to think buying season tickets would be a wise investment getting primo spots in case it took off, lol.

New York City Metropolitan Area

Background. New York City is the largest and most visited city in the U.S. and the fourth largest metropolitan area in the world (over 19.7 million inhabitants and 40 million annual visitors). The city is a major center for finance, insurance, real estate, media and the arts in the U.S. The metropolitan area had an estimated gross metropolitan product of $952.6 billion in 2005; the largest regional economy in the U.S. New York City is comprised of five boroughs: The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island. With over 8.2 million residents within an area of 322 square miles, New York City is the most densely populated major city in the U.S. The New York Stock Exchange and the NASDAQ are the world's first and second largest stock exchanges, respectively, when measured by average daily trading volume and overall market capitalization. New York City is also home to 45 Fortune 500 companies and one out of ten private sector jobs in New York City are from foreign corporations.

In the sports arena, the New York City metro area is the only city in the U.S. with more than one team in each of the four major professional sports (NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL).

Football History. New York City has a long history of strong support for its professional football teams. The New York Giants are one of the NFL

How about Chapter XI, that's a pretty cool name? In fact that's what they should name the league.

Excellent....:rl:

Great timing for starting a new league.

Competition is always a good thing, I like the idea especially if its a "real" football... not XFL...

Its a great place to pick up NFL players who slipped through the cracks and possibly develop a hidden gem...

Also think of it this way...

They may not be as talented... but are 2 college teams that get half the country to watch and fill a stadium as talented as the Giants and the JETS?

I dont think so... its all about competitive games... regardless of the talent level...

They definitely won't.

Maybe they'd share with the Red Bulls, or play at Rutgers Stadium though.

The Red Bulls play at The Meadowlands, don't they?

And if they want this league to succeed they can't have teams playing at "Division 1" College Football Stadiums that better suit Division 2 teams. They just flat out can't have a team at a College Stadium at all, or a team in Mexico. MEXICO? Sat Lake City?

Have Los Angeles, New York, Orlando, San Francisco, Las Vegas and Hartford, I guess, because you need more than two East Coast teams. Either way that sixth city just flat out blows, but the previous five should do decently.

In the end, most likely this league doesn't see two years.

I'd very much like to see a developmental league for the NFL. It gives kids coming out of college as well as veterans who are considered "washed up" a chance to get noticed in the NFL. I would really love to see this. I think it's a great idea for discovering late bloomer players and just getting actual playing time for a player instead of just practice time. Imagine players being able to get big game experience before even making it to the NFL. Granted you get some of that in college but this theoretically would include actual NFL players.

It's got my interest.

Archived