Why didnt Magini kick a FG when we were down by 17?

SouthernJet

I have seen John Madden say a million times, that the only smart play in this circumstance is to kick a FG..if you need the points anyways, you get the sure points to survive another play,,i.e. usually a onsides kick,,

MAYBE if it wa son 1 foot line , but 4 yds out, FG was the only clal when down 17

I loved the fact that on the 4th and 1 that we went for we tried to throw,and failed,when Jones was having a career day with 130 yds.:rolleyes:

ya,,and on 3rd down also,,oh, and we were in shotgun to boot lettin them know what we were doin,,and oh by the way i read in paper they ONLY had baker out in a pattern,,

RUN THE DAMN BALL in that game changin situation,,

damn

Nah, I'd go for it. If you onside kick it and recover well you have to sustain another drive and drive down the field again for the TD. If you can't get 4 yards against a Denver defense then well you have no business playing in the NFL. I don't know WTF was up with the playcalling. Didn't we have like 1st and goal at the one and pass it 4 straight times for -3 yards. Something like that. Schotty's had a lot of bad games, that may have been the worst.

Nah, I'd go for it. If you onside kick it and recover well you have to sustain another drive and drive down the field again for the TD. If you can't get 4 yards against a Denver defense then well you have no business playing in the NFL. I don't know WTF was up with the playcalling. Didn't we have like 1st and goal at the one and pass it 4 straight times for -3 yards. Something like that. Schotty's had a lot of bad games, that may have been the worst.

thats cool, but you are in the minority,,In fact, the only two coaches I have ever seen forgo the FG there were Mangini and Herm :rl:

All others over years I have seen and like like Madden says , take the FG (u need a FG eventually anyways) to SURVIVE another play..

But hey, you are in great company :confused:

I have seen John Madden say a million times, that the only smart play in this circumstance is to kick a FG..if you need the points anyways, you get the sure points to survive another play,,i.e. usually a onsides kick,,

MAYBE if it wa son 1 foot line , but 4 yds out, FG was the only clal when down 17

You lost all credibility when you mentioned what John Madden would have done.

1978 John Madden? Cool. 2008 John Madden? Not so much.

Well, he had given up by that point already. We also punted the ball the series before that, when it was obvious we had to go for it. We weren't going to win that game, there really was just no way. Just not our day.

IF he had truly given up the starters wouldnt have been in there,,,he didnt give up, he just put himself in Herms XsOs category

uh OK,,

he wa sjust stating whats been done by coaches in that situation,,

again, uh ok.. :confused:

Do you want an aggressive Coach or a guy who kicks a FG with a little over 2 minutes left to make it a 14 point deficit?

I would go for it 100% of the time.

I would go for it. 4 yards out, which saves you from driving another 30+ yards out a subsequent drive. With such little time remaining, you have to go for it. I disagreed with the playcalling down there, but they had to do that. There wasn't enough time to sustain two more full-length drives for TD's.

I would go for it. 4 yards out, which saves you from driving another 30+ yards out a subsequent drive. With such little time remaining, you have to go for it. I disagreed with the playcalling down there, but they had to do that. There wasn't enough time to sustain two more full-length drives for TD's.

Actually, what I was saying in the thread is kick the FG when in range. Go for the endzone a few times, and if you can't get it, just take the FG. It's not a bad idea around 30 yards or less out.

Again though this is splitting hairs. Whenever you are in a situation where you are down 17 points with less than 5 minutes to go, it really doesn't matter what you do at that point. You already lost. You should have been making better decisions and executed better so that you're not in that situation.

Do you want an aggressive Coach or a guy who kicks a FG with a little over 2 minutes left to make it a 14 point deficit?

I would go for it 100% of the time.

I want a smart coach who knows he needs 3 scores, and LITTLE time left to get three scores,,one mistep and its over.

He take sthe 3 there he has 1 of 3 scores needed and game is still alive..

with 4 th and 4 that was too risky, u miss , game over, u get guranteed FG, game moves on,,take the 3 and move on, u need it anyways..

I have seen belly take the 3 and move on,,its the only SMART decision..

I want SMART 1st........

You definitely go for the TD.

You need 2 TD and there is less than 3 minutes left in the game. You are at the 4 yard line...when are you going to get a better chance to score a TD?

you are wrong,,unless u go by what only herm and mangini decioded

u take the points and move on,,if 4th and 1 'maybe..but 4th and 4 , no way,,u need a FG anyways,,

you are wrong,,unless u go by what only herm and mangini decioded

u take the points and move on,,if 4th and 1 'maybe..but 4th and 4 , no way,,u need a FG anyways,,

With such little time, I'd go for it any day of the week. Piling on another 30 yards or so to delay the TD for later just makes the situation 10X harder to convert. If there was more time, you take the field goal, but if you are going to keep pushing near the end zone you must go for it. We didn't have the time to get another 14 points in 2 minutes afterwards, 10 points is much easier to attain.

With such little time, I'd go for it any day of the week. Piling on another 30 yards or so to delay the TD for later just makes the situation 10X harder to convert. If there was more time, you take the field goal, but if you are going to keep pushing near the end zone you must go for it. We didn't have the time to get another 14 points in 2 minutes afterwards, 10 points is much easier to attain.

well, most coaches coach to keep the game alsive,,if 4th and 1, maybe..

but 4th and 4, most coaches would keep the game alive with gruranteed points,,you need a miracle anywayts so u move on and survive another play,i have been watchin football since 1960, and until Herm did same thing a few yeards ago, Mangini is now only 2nd coach to do what he did,,I remember when Herm did , he took heat from everywhere and many players even then said they were surprised,,manginsi ship is tighter so u wont hear dissent..

Like Madden said ' you coach to survive till next play'...

Why did he punt from the 46 on 4th and 4 down by 3 scores with under 9 minutes to go?

another baffling call..

IMHO there were a few brainfarts by mangini...

bypass FG

not run and pass on both 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 on a rainy day

pitch on rainy day

not go for it on 4th short from 46 down 2 scores

well, most coaches coach to keep the game alsive,,if 4th and 1, maybe..

but 4th and 4, most coaches would keep the game alive with gruranteed points,,you need a miracle anywayts so u move on and survive another play,i have been watchin football since 1960, and until Herm did same thing a few yeards ago, Mangini is now only 2nd coach to do what he did,,I remember when Herm did , he took heat from everywhere and many players even then said they were surprised,,manginsi ship is tighter so u wont hear dissent..

Like Madden said ' you coach to survive till next play'...

Can we stop quoting John Madden? I can't stand that guy as a commentator. Says some absolutely insane things, and never stops talking...

There's a point in the game where you have to step up and do something like that. There's no point in "surviving till the next play" if you're going after something so impossible like 14 points in 2 minutes. 10 points is much more doable, converting for that TD makes sense because of the time left. I'm not bothered to look up if that's happened before, but I'm sure it has. You might survive then, but those four points will come back to haunt you if you get stuck with the ball at their 30 for one last play.

Either way we weren't coming back. That much was sealed through the earlier punt. Mangini gave up on the game.

Can we stop quoting John Madden? I can't stand that guy as a commentator. Says some absolutely insane things, and never stops talking...

There's a point in the game where you have to step up and do something like that. There's no point in "surviving till the next play" if you're going after something so impossible like 14 points in 2 minutes. 10 points is much more doable, converting for that TD makes sense because of the time left. I'm not bothered to look up if that's happened before, but I'm sure it has. You might survive then, but those four points will come back to haunt you if you get stuck with the ball at their 30 for one last play.

Either way we weren't coming back. That much was sealed through the earlier punt. Mangini gave up on the game.

You needed 3 scores at that point, we were down 17. Even getting the TD there, you're still down two scores. That's why you just kick the FG when you get in range. You get in decent range, say around the 30-25 yard line, then start taking shots in the endzone or near it. If you get it, great, you get the TD. If you don't, since they're going to be incomplete passes, you don't run much time off the clock, and just kick the FG.

We were going to lose anyway, but strategically that makes much more sense.

you are wrong,,sorry...

and madden was one of best coaches ever,,who cares if u dont like his style,,he knows his XsOs,,to not listen to his XsOs is ignorant..

You needed 3 scores at that point, we were down 17. Even getting the TD there, you're still down two scores. That's why you just kick the FG when you get in range. You get in decent range, say around the 30-25 yard line, then start taking shots in the endzone or near it. If you get it, great, you get the TD. If you don't, since they're going to be incomplete passes, you don't run much time off the clock, and just kick the FG.

thank u..

The gameboy generation doesnt know strategy,,just bombs away :rl:

I would rather Mangini did what you said, because of the time restraints. Wasting time to get down to the 4 and then going for it doesn't make much sense down 17, when you could've kicked a field goal 2 minutes ago or so. I'm not going to disagree with that.

thank u..

The gameboy generation doesnt know strategy,,just bombs away :rl:

Age shouldn't have anything to do with an argument, bringing up necessary facts will more than prove anything. Do you go around praising yourself because you're old? It's childish, get over yourself. Experience does not necessarily come with age, by the way.

The best way to prove an argument is NOT by making foolish assumptions to prove one's superiority.

you are wrong,,sorry...

and madden was one of best coaches ever,,who cares if u dont like his style,,he knows his XsOs,,to not listen to his XsOs is ignorant..

Who said I wasn't listening to his "XsOs"? I don't listen to him when he goes on rambling diatribes, something he does all the time as a commentator. He was a great coach and I admitted that, did you miss something? The vast majority of what he says as commentator is pure BS--the best of his coaching strategies can be found by listening to him during his coaching era, something I said above but in less detail.

That is a different strategy.

I agree with warensemble on this.

Archived