Music Ramblings.

McGraw38

So I play guitar(not really all that shocking I suppose) and yes I mean actual guitar, not guitar hero. Anyway as I am fairly good at playing I've been trying to get a band going. My problem?

Every "musician" in my area is only capable of playing punk rock. Naturally, it's the easiest. I am not a punk player, and while I'd love to be in a band I can't play something I'm not into, sure I can play all the notes and the repetitive chord progressions, but I wouldn't be playing something I loved and it'd in turn sound like garbage.

My style is hard to pin it down. I've been really influenced by my favorite band Clutch so for the most part I play a bluesy/stoner rock/funk metal/sabbath kind of thing. Just what I love playing I guess. I tend to throw in some TOOL-esque heaviness though.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes a blaring power chord riff progression hits the spot, it's just punk isn't my thing, metal? Suuure I'm down with that.

So yeah, that's my story, felt like sharing it with my Nation brethren, haha.

p.s. anytime anyone's up for a good music discussion hit me up, I consider myself almost a student of music, it's a big part of my daily life.

Peace to all

:Typotux:

McGraw -

Here's a site that will show you other musicians in your area:

http://bandmix.com

It costs nothing to sign up/browse and I think it's relatively cheap to join and be able to contact others. Another good way to scout out potential bandmates is to go to open mic nights at clubs and bars. Some of them get pretty specific in the types of music they allow you to play - so it helps you to refine your search. Also keeps you from hearing a lot of crap you don't want to hear - some of it played poorly.

I can tell you from personal experience that unless you're looking at gigs for a sole source of income - you need to play music you like and consequently can feel. If not - you might do it for a bit but it will become drudgery before long. One of the primary reasons for band break-ups and personnel changes is not being able to agree on the type of music you play. Good luck man.

McGraw -

Here's a site that will show you other musicians in your area:

http://bandmix.com

It costs nothing to sign up/browse and I think it's relatively cheap to join and be able to contact others. Another good way to scout out potential bandmates is to go to open mic nights at clubs and bars. Some of them get pretty specific in the types of music they allow you to play - so it helps you to refine your search. Also keeps you from hearing a lot of crap you don't want to hear - some of it played poorly.

I can tell you from personal experience that unless you're looking at gigs for a sole source of income - you need to play music you like and consequently can feel. If not - you might do it for a bit but it will become drudgery before long. One of the primary reasons for band break-ups and personnel changes is not being able to agree on the type of music you play. Good luck man.

Thanks much for the site and advice. You basically captured my thoughts. My guitar work is very much based on the feel as well as the sound. I can't manufacture my playing it has to come from the heart. Thanks again NJ, hopefully I'll be able to come back and up date everyone with band progress in time.

Archived