Proposed College football playoff system using current bowls

SouthernJet

Wouldnt work. the NCAA makes so much money off the four BCS bowls now that they would lose in this system.

Think about it, you would have to get fans to buy tickets and travel to the current bowl games, then the "championship round" games, then the actual championship game. If they are all on neutral sites, the NCAA wouldn't be making nearly as much money as they would have to spend.

The only way a playoff would work is if it lead UP TO the current BCS bowl games.

The top 8 BCS teams enter the tournament, the quarterfinals and semis are held at the higher seed's home stadiums. After those rounds are complete, the two teams unbeaten will face off in the National Championship game (one of the current BCS bowls, rotating every year, as it does currently). The two Semifinal losers participate in another BCS Bowl, and the four quarterfinal losers participate in the remaining two BCS bowls.

This way, everybody's happy. It doesn't cost a lot for the NCAA to have games at the higher seed's homes...Those games will obviously be easy to sell out...The fans get their playoff, fair and square...And companies and sponsors who put so much money into these bowl games still get to promote, advertise, and still receive the hype which they do now.

That is the best possible system, IMO.

Wouldnt work. the NCAA makes so much money off the four BCS bowls now that they would lose in this system.

Think about it, you would have to get fans to buy tickets and travel to the current bowl games, then the "championship round" games, then the actual championship game. If they are all on neutral sites, the NCAA wouldn't be making nearly as much money as they would have to spend.

The only way a playoff would work is if it lead UP TO the current BCS bowl games.

The top 8 BCS teams enter the tournament, the quarterfinals and semis are held at the higher seed's home stadiums. After those rounds are complete, the two teams unbeaten will face off in the National Championship game (one of the current BCS bowls, rotating every year, as it does currently). The two Semifinal losers participate in another BCS Bowl, and the four quarterfinal losers participate in the remaining two BCS bowls.

This way, everybody's happy. It doesn't cost a lot for the NCAA to have games at the higher seed's homes...Those games will obviously be easy to sell out...The fans get their playoff, fair and square...And companies and sponsors who put so much money into these bowl games still get to promote, advertise, and still receive the hype which they do now.

That is the best possible system, IMO.

why??

NCAA basketball tourney isnt at home courts,,

Once you get to elite # of teams, fans will go to the game..

they wwill be sold year before, without even knowing teams that will play, JUST like the NCAA BBall tourney is sold out for both finals and freakin regionals year before

why??

NCAA basketball tourney isnt at home courts,,

Once you get to elite # of teams, fans will go to the game..

they wwill be sold year before, without even knowing teams that will play, JUST like the NCAA BBall tourney is sold out for both finals and freakin regionals year before

Basketball and Football are completely different sports. And stadiums are practically empty in games where the 1 and 2 seeds aren't playing until you get to the elite 8 and final 4 anyway. The fact is you're not going to be able to generate as much hype and as much revenue for the bowl games in that proposed system as they do now. Think about it, how many people are going to go through the travel expenses, paying for tickets, hotel fares, etc. etc. to see the equivalent of a quarterfinal game? Sure, you'll be able to generate hype for the National Championship game obviously, but it won't be any greater than the hype and revenue that all four BCS bowls currently generate.

As I said, I think the only way a playoff would be successful is if all of the games lead up to the bowl games, and the bowl games remain intact. It succeeds all purposes. There's a playoff, there's a clear-cut National Championship, there's tons of money involved, and the bowl tradition gets to remain intact. What's the downside?

Basketball and Football are completely different sports. And stadiums are practically empty in games where the 1 and 2 seeds aren't playing until you get to the elite 8 and final 4 anyway. The fact is you're not going to be able to generate as much hype and as much revenue for the bowl games in that proposed system as they do now. Think about it, how many people are going to go through the travel expenses, paying for tickets, hotel fares, etc. etc. to see the equivalent of a quarterfinal game? Sure, you'll be able to generate hype for the National Championship game obviously, but it won't be any greater than the hype and revenue that all four BCS bowls currently generate.

As I said, I think the only way a playoff would be successful is if all of the games lead up to the bowl games, and the bowl games remain intact. It succeeds all purposes. There's a playoff, there's a clear-cut National Championship, there's tons of money involved, and the bowl tradition gets to remain intact. What's the downside?

BS...

and wtf are u talkin about,,the NCAAs are sold out in early regional rounds,,

BS...

and wtf are u talkin about,,the NCAAs are sold out in early regional rounds,,

You serious? Other than when the top 2 seeds are playing (cause its practically a home game for them), the Stadium is practically empty.

Again, whats the downside to the idea I've stated?? You don't think that would be a more practical, beneficial system?

PS: I also dislike the setup of the NCAA tournament being all neutral. I think it takes away a lot of the college atmosphere without the student sections and overflow crowds that you see in a lot of places, especially for big games late in the season. Again though, thats a completely different argument to be had. This was a thread about college football.

You serious? Other than when the top 2 seeds are playing (cause its practically a home game for them), the Stadium is practically empty.

Again, whats the downside to the idea I've stated?? You don't think that would be a more practical, beneficial system?

PS: I also dislike the setup of the NCAA tournament being all neutral. I think it takes away a lot of the college atmosphere without the student sections and overflow crowds that you see in a lot of places, especially for big games late in the season. Again though, thats a completely different argument to be had. This was a thread about college football.

haha

You know what I love? These jerkoffs who say it would make the season go longer. No it wouldn't. Not at all. Do away wit the garbage bowls like 6-6 and 7-5 teams go to or play them on Thursdays / Fridays or some ****.

If you do a 16 team playoff that is, hmm, lets see.

8 games

4 games

2 games

1 game

So 4 weeks.

Use the last 3 weekends in Decemeber and the 1st weekend in January and that still isn't as long as the current season goes.

Easy as that.

You know what I love? These jerkoffs who say it would make the season go longer. No it wouldn't. Not at all. Do away wit the garbage bowls like 6-6 and 7-5 teams go to or play them on Thursdays / Fridays or some ****.

8 games

4 games

2 games

1 game

So 4 weeks.

Use the last 3 weekends in Decemeber and the 1st weekend in January and that still isn't as long as the current season goes.

Easy as that.

agree

8 games

4 games

2 games

1 game

So 4 weeks.

Easy as that.

No way too many games

these kids need to study and not work in Modells for christ's sakes

this will never happen

No way too many games

these kids need to study and not work in Modells for christ's sakes

this will never happen

:rolleyes:

Too many games?

16 games AT MOST (only 2 teams would play this many) is too many games? Are you kidding me?

College Football kids at big time programs studying? I hope you're joking. Four at most weeks of Fotoball isn't going to do anything. What are they doing between now and their January 1st Bowl Game? Studying!!!!???? It would help if they were actually in school during this time. Its winter break for christ sakes. They can give up their winter breaks for winning a championship, if they love the game. :rl:

:rolleyes:

Too many games?

16 games AT MOST (only 2 teams would play this many) is too many games? Are you kidding me?

College Football kids at big time programs studying? I hope you're joking. Four at most weeks of Fotoball isn't going to do anything. What are they doing between now and their January 1st Bowl Game? Studying!!!!???? It would help if they were actually in school during this time. Its winter break for christ sakes. They can give up their winter breaks for winning a championship, if they love the game. :rl:

hello what % of these kids go to NFL?????

The schools make all the coin not the kids, their bodies cannot take

all these games, they need to study and rest up.

it will never happen

top 4 is all you need.

it will never happen

top 4 is all you need.

4 isnt enough. 8 isnt enough either.

16 is the only way to go.

And fine. Let them study in December.

No bye weeks. 10 game regular season. Start the playoffs the same week that bowl games start now. If it goes to January it goes to January.

(would start December 20th and end Jan 10/11)

currently bowls start dec 20th and end Jan 8th.

But, they will never do this since they are all about the money. And I will once again not watch any BCS bowl game no matter how interesting or compelling. You people want change? Stop watching.

it will never happen

top 4 is all you need.

Their bodies cannot take 1-4 more games? Are you kidding me?

Okay then. Take out the games against North Alaska Midwestern State in September and play 10 regular season games instead of 11 or 12.

8 would OKAY, but I don't think would be enough. 16 is the way to go. 4 is too short. You'd leave plenty of teams complaining. With 16 you have the Top 10 and 6 wildcards.

Their bodies cannot take 1-4 more games? Are you kidding me?

Okay then. Take out the games against North Alaska Midwestern State in September and play 10 regular season games instead of 11 or 12.

8 would OKAY, but I don't think would be enough. 16 is the way to go. 4 is too short. You'd leave plenty of teams complaining. With 16 you have the Top 10 and 6 wildcards.

won't happen in my lifetime and probably yours

sad but true.

every BCS league would have to limit themselves to 11 games

no championship games

then you could do a 12 team playoff like 1-aa does

it won't happen

so best case is a plus1 game which equates to a 4 team playoff which

for the BCS is 10x better than what they have now

every BCS league would have to limit themselves to 11 games

no championship games

then you could do a 12 team playoff like 1-aa does

it won't happen

so best case is a plus1 game which equates to a 4 team playoff which

for the BCS is 10x better than what they have now

I still wont care if they do it that way. It still wont solve the problems.

Money is all that matters. And as long as college fans watch the BCS bowl games in record numbers we will be stuck with what we've got.

Archived