"Friends" that need favors.

PhinHater

As long as they don't abuse it IMO.

Umm..yes.

That is what this whole thread is about. :)

I am getting frequent calls now. Probably once or twice a week from a couple of "friends".

Every time now they are asking me to come over or having me walk them through things on the phone. No more friendly calls are here. Only computer help!

Just **** up really badly. So that when you leave, the little problem they had is now a huge problem. No one will bother you for help anymore.

The funny thing with me is people assume I know anything about computers because I work on high end ones every day. People ask me for help when in reality, I can build them a professional HD editing system in an afternoon, but if their printer isn't working, well I have no clue.

lol

Good idea!

Next time I am going to literally pick up their machine and drop it as hard as I can. That might be better than screwing up their software somehow. They literally won't even have a computer anymore!

:headbang:

No, I am a web developer and designer for a living. I used to do computer repair and teach it as well at a trade school.

5 minutes?????? No way. They mess up their computers so bad that half the time they get the blue screen of death on their PC and I am forced to take their machine home, reinstall, and deliver it back to them.

Or they get this killer virus where it won't even let me boot into safe mode to clean out their system.

Trust me, if it was a 5 minute deal, then I would not really be complaining.

I know you know this PH but these aren't "friends" . I'm handy around cars so I kinda get the same crap. I counter with "I'd LOVE to help but I'm kinda tapped out mentally right now" or "Yeah I can take a look at it but it might cost you some fairly large coin depending on what's wrong with it" . That usually sends the message. Time is money.

I used to get this a lot, but then I just started acting like I didn't know anything anymore :)

Some things to try...

1) When they ask you to come over to look at their PC, just tell them you have an appointment to do some side work. When they ask what you're doing, just tell them "computer repair".

2) Change your voicemail message to something like "You have reached John's computer repair service..."

Maybe they'll get the hint.

I know you know this PH but these aren't "friends" . I'm handy around cars so I kinda get the same crap. I counter with "I'd LOVE to help but I'm kinda tapped out mentally right now" or "Yeah I can take a look at it but it might cost you some fairly large coin depending on what's wrong with it" . That usually sends the message. Time is money.

I like that Thai. I'll try telling them I am mentally tapped out right now and just hear their priceless reaction..."ohhh....oh ok..."

For family and people close to you, you might suggest they get a copy of Ghost, so after you fdisk them once, your support can be limited to restoring a Ghosted copy of the last time you did it.

Sure..they'd lose some work, but that's what they get for digging up serial numbers at crack.ru all day.

You mean do I purchase collections? No. And as far as selling medals, why would you want to do that? I'll tell you this though. If they are "named" medals and what I mean by that is, if these are medals that have a name on the backside, they sell pretty well on Ebay.

yea my grandpa recieved a purple heart and bronze star for ww2 so i was just asking im not gonna get rid of them they are mine but younever know if money gets tight might have to think about it lol

So I have been noticing something lately with a few of my "friends".

For the past couple of months I get the following phone calls:

"Hey! How ya doing? Listen, I need help with my computer."

or

"Hey, do you and the the fiance want to come over for dinner tonight? (me, "sure!") While you are here, can you look at my computer?"

or

"Hey, do you and the fiance want to come over for dinner tonight?" (me, "sure!")

Then...we get there for dinner...

"Hey, since you are here can you look at my computer?"

Grrr....

What do I do? Clearly they are not good "friends" like I thought. Do I tell them to go eff off? Do I just start charging?

One of my friends is a 49ers fan and I am the godfather of their child. He invited us over for the Jet game on Sunday and I said yes. On the phone he said you know I am going to need you for your computer knowledge.

Just getting sick of people assuming I am always going to fix their computers and have no problem with it.

What does a little boy like myself do?

well, you have 'adult' friends now. thats what they do. its either that or don't have friends.

Ha-ha. I know the feeling all to well..

My wife's sisters boyfriend is a real estate agent. I've "helped" him with his computer numerous times and when we were in the market for a house he pulled some listings for me and emailed them to me, never showed me a house or anything like that, just mailed me listings.

I decided to move out of the county and didn't want to use him anymore since I wanted an agent familiar with the area. So I found my own agent and somehow he found out who i was using and faxed her some kind of form to get his name attached to a potential sale as a referrer. My wife called him and asked him WTF was he doing and the SOB had the nerve to say he needed to get paid for his time.

Long story short, it's amazing how many people consider hours spent fixing a computer to not be a legitimate service..

5 minutes!!! :eek:

Are you crazy? Most of this crap takes hours, not to mention you have to come to them and bring the fricken thing home if it gets to late...

That's it Arsis, my computer has only gotten that bad 1 time in like 17 years of daily usage. People who don't know what their doing really jack them up by clicking on all sorts of stupid ****..

And lol, my wife actually took care of him. I was at work and only heard the aftermath. She laid into him real good, bringing up the computer stuff and some other stuff I helped him with over at his house. Apparently she screamed at him and laid into for a good 10 minutes before hanging up on him, he called back later to apologize to her and me..

nick_burns.jpg

Interesting that you would pick a Saturday Night Live character to represent me..

Whatever. When it comes to friends expecting you to do **** for them for free because you do it for a living, you computer dorks have it easy.

That's it Arsis, my computer has only gotten that bad 1 time in like 17 years of daily usage. People who don't know what their doing really jack them up by clicking on all sorts of stupid ****..

And lol, my wife actually took care of him. I was at work and only heard the aftermath. She laid into him real good, bringing up the computer stuff and some other stuff I helped him with over at his house. Apparently she screamed at him and laid into for a good 10 minutes before hanging up on him, he called back later to apologize to her and me..

good for your wife. That jerk deserved both barrels.

Archived