JUDGE RULES IN FAVOR OF WILLIAMS AND WILLIAMS

nyjetsjetsjets

from profootballtalk.com

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 3, 2008, 7:28 p.m.

Minnesota Vikings defensive tackles Pat Williams and Kevin Williams have won a big victory in their efforts to avoid being suspended by the National Football League

KSTP-TV in Minneapolis is reporting that Judge Gary Larson has issued a temporary restraining order against the NFL. That means, for now, that Williams and Williams should be allowed to play Sunday. The Williamses said they were heading straight from the courthouse to the Vikings’ practice facility.

However, this is far from over. KSTP reports that another hearing is expected in the next few days.

from profootballtalk.com

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 3, 2008, 7:28 p.m.

Minnesota Vikings defensive tackles Pat Williams and Kevin Williams have won a big victory in their efforts to avoid being suspended by the National Football League

KSTP-TV in Minneapolis is reporting that Judge Gary Larson has issued a temporary restraining order against the NFL. That means, for now, that Williams and Williams should be allowed to play Sunday. The Williamses said they were heading straight from the courthouse to the Vikings

So this means that they can play for now until the judge makes his decision. Does not necessarily mean he is going to decide in their favor, does it?

I would like to know if and when the NFL said Star Caps were all right, and if it was before the NFL issued a warning against Star Caps' manufacturer Dec 19, 2006.

I would also like to know what Williams & Williams are actually claiming, since the union contract says the players are responsible for keeping banned substances out of their bodies-it's not the NFL's job to bother whether the ingestion was accidental or not.

Wow. Rules are rules right? You break them and pay the price.

Well, the Constitution, federal laws, state laws and town/city laws all trump whatever anyone else comes up with. You can't just make up your own rules and force people to follow them....unless you are the government. In that case you'll either get away with it until someone fights it, or you'll just get away for it forever because you're the government.

Well, the Constitution, federal laws, state laws and town/city laws all trump whatever anyone else comes up with. You can't just make up your own rules and force people to follow them....

I'm not a lawyer, but I understand that a union contract can trump certain labor laws-certain practices are allowed because they are the result of a collective bargaining agreement that would not be allowed otherwise. Whether it can trump all labor laws or laws that are not specifically labor laws I do not know.

I'm not a lawyer, but I understand that a union contract can trump certain labor laws-certain practices are allowed because they are the result of a collective bargaining agreement that would not be allowed otherwise. Whether it can trump all labor laws or laws that are not specifically labor laws I do not know.

laws always trump collective bargaining agreements. if you find the opposite it is because of inept lawyering.

Well, the Constitution, federal laws, state laws and town/city laws all trump whatever anyone else comes up with. You can't just make up your own rules and force people to follow them....unless you are the government. In that case you'll either get away with it until someone fights it, or you'll just get away for it forever because you're the government.

exactly!

again, from profootballtalk.com

FIRST STARCAPS VICTIM NOT SUSPENDED?

Posted by Mike Florio on December 4, 2008, 12:33 a.m.

One of the facts that came out in the appeal hearings for the various players who tested positive for Bumetanide after taking StarCaps is that the NFL learned of the possible link between StarCaps and Bumetanide after a player who tested positive for the banned diuretic in 2006 said he had taken the supposedly all-natural StarCaps.

Per a league source, there is growing suspicion

and just a little bit more :) from profootballtalk.com

WILLIAMS LAWSUIT CLAIMS SUSPENSIONS ARE MOTIVATED BY POLITICS

Posted by Mike Florio on December 4, 2008, 1:22 a.m.

The lawsuit filed against the NFL and several individuals by Vikings defensive tackles Pat and Kevin Williams claims that the league suspended them in order to placate public officials who might think that the league isn

they will go 1-3 without these 2 studs 8-8 will not make it

They will beat Detroit and Arizona, there is also a chance they beat Atlanta (turner sucks away this year... he kills my fantasy team when he isnt home)

They will at least go 2-2...

9-7 wins it... Chicago would have to go 3-1 and Green bay would have to win out to hit 9-7

8-8 could even win it... if Chicago goes 2-2 they are 8-8..

They will beat Detroit and Arizona, there is also a chance they beat Atlanta (turner sucks away this year... he kills my fantasy team when he isnt home)

They will at least go 2-2...

9-7 wins it... Chicago would have to go 3-1 and Green bay would have to win out to hit 9-7

8-8 could even win it... if Chicago goes 2-2 they are 8-8..

no way they beat AZ without those studs not happening

I agree with ecurb. This could kill their SB hopes if it comes to that. I think Peterson would carry them to the playoffs, that offense has not been too bad over the last few weeks. As good as Fat Pat and KW are, I think they'd make the playoffs without them. I don't like GB or Chicago at all.

The NFL doesn't want to suspend them in the playoffs. If it came to that, the suspensions would be next year.

I think the suspensions should be severely reduced because of the situation. It's not actually steroids, it's simply a masking agent that wasn't disclosed. Starcaps isn't on the league's ban list, and Starcaps doesn't list anything that is banned. It's one thing to have tainted supplements that give you steroids, it is a whole different thing to have a tainted diet pill with a diuretic.

Also, the whole steroids issue is stupid. Congress spent way more time on this last year then actually avoiding the recession we have now. Every last one of those idiots should personally be paying for the bailouts they are now handing out, rather than wasting more tax payer money.

laws always trump collective bargaining agreements. if you find the opposite it is because of inept lawyering.

Looks like I was wrong and you and serphnx are right.

Collective bargaining allows workers and employers to reach voluntary agreement on a wide range of topics. Even so, it is limited to some extent by federal and state laws. A collective bargaining agreement cannot accomplish by contract what the law prohibits. For example, a union and an employer cannot use collective bargaining to deprive employees of rights they would otherwise enjoy under laws such as the CIVIL RIGHTS statutes (Alexander v. Gardner-Denver Co., 415 U.S. 36, 94 S. Ct. 1011, 39 L. Ed. 2d 147 [1974]).

Source. Bolding mine.

I could swear that I heard over the radio once that a sports union seemed to have the law on it's side on some issue but it was ruled the practice in question was the result of a collective bargaining agreement and not a question of law. Guess not.

Guess these players might have more on their side than I thought. Still, the contract said that it is the players' responsibility to keep these substances out of their bodies, so unless that is shown to be illegal they still have a hard hill to climb. But if they can prove something about that agreement is actually illegal, they might well win.

Archived