McNabb isn't the only player in the NFL that doesn't know the rules...Jets too!

PhinHater

From Jets players:

Q: How many points do you get for returning a blocked PAT all the way?

• Calvin Pace, LB, Jets: "Two? Isn't that the rule in college?"
  • Kerry Rhodes, S, Jets: "Wait, you're trying to trick me. It's either two or none. I say none."
  • Nick Mangold, C, Jets: "Seven? I have no idea."
  • Dustin Keller, TE, Jets: "I think it's two."
  • Madison: "Two."

Correct answer: Zero.

Here is the entire article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3737653&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

When McNabb didn't know the rules, he was a dumbass. But now that some Jets don't, it's ok.

a QB not knowing OT rules is MUCH MUCH worse than a few players being unsure of a fluke play rule... most of them dont even play ST... its not even their job... McNabb needs to know how to control the clock... thats his job...

So what's the diff? If you're a defensive player, feel completely free to block the PAT and knock yourself out running 100 yards to the other endzone. You won't score any points, but you'll have a PAT block to your credit. Plus nobody in the stands or at home knows the rule anyway, so you'll keep everyone in suspense.

LOL at Mangold's response

Q: What's the maximum number of challenges a coach can make in a game if he's always right?

• Clark: "As many as he wants."
  • Goff: "Two per half."
  • O'Hara: "Four."
  • Barton: "If he's right, why stop him?"
  • Pace: "Six."
  • Mangold: "I don't know. There goes my coaching gig."
  • Rhodes: "Three. You're not going to get me."

Most of these rules are esoteric. Even the announcers don't know that you can't use a tee for a fair catch kick. Actually I didn't know that either, I thought you could use a tee.

But that isn't going to win or lose a game. Either is returning a blocked PAT, the refs will just whistle it dead, and nothing will happen. And what is a quick kick?

There is no question that a QB not knowing that the game will end after a OT period in the regular season is costing a team a game, and is much worse than this other stuff, that coaches really don't even need to go over.

Archived