Shaun Ellis arrested NOW CONFIRMED

jetsrule128

I believe Jones was suspended by the league while Holmes was suspended by the Steelers.

I took a look and you're right, under normal circumstances (weed) first-time offenders of the NFL's drug program aren't suspended, just have increased testing.

I'd be surprised if Mangini didn't make him sit for at least one game, though.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm fairly shocked at some of the suggestions that are being tossed around here...have gholston or bowens take ellis' spot?? seriously?? If anyone would take his place it would be DeVito who has played pretty darn well when giving the big kat a breather..and I would imagine you would than have Mosley subbing in at both LDE and RDE instead of just backing up Coleman.

Not to trash on the guys who wanted to put bowens or gholston as our new LDE, but they are easily 30 pounds too light and would be absolutely picked on. I will admit if they wanted to run a 4-3 a few times than that could work. Something along the lines of

Pace - Mosley - Jenkins - Gholston.. That would than force other issues, but i've seen them run the 4-3 a handful of times this year. Basically as long as Jenkins is able to play, I don't see Devito or Mosley struggling in Shaun's place. I don't think stopping the run was ever the issue here; I think frank gore is going to be utilized mostly in the passing game and stopping mike martz should be a challenge.

I don't think that anyone wants to put Gholston or Bowens at LDE, but considering Devito and Mosley are the backups for all 3 line spots, someone is gonna have to step up and pick up a few extra snaps despite being too small.

I know of a 70 year old lady who got stopped by a cop and didn't have her insurance card in the car. She got a ticket for no insurance.

When she went to court she showed the judge not just that she had insurance then, but that she actually had insurance when she was stopped-she just didn't have the card in the car. The judge was unmoved, gave her the full $100 fine for not having the card in the car. 70 year old lady.

Ellis might well have had insurance, just not the card in the car.

I was gonna study my playbook, until I got high

I was gonna get up and find the book, But then I got high

My defense sucks And I know why, (why man) 'cuz I got high

Because I got high

Because I got high

I was gonna sack Cutler, before I got high

I coulda' rushed and I coulda sacked him, but I got high

I'm taking every other play off and I know why, (why man) 'cuz I got high

Because I got high

Because I got high

I don't think that anyone wants to put Gholston or Bowens at LDE, but considering Devito and Mosley are the backups for all 3 line spots, someone is gonna have to step up and pick up a few extra snaps despite being too small.

If Ellis can't play they'll activate Kareem Brown to the practice squad. It's like saying Brandon Moore is out, so just have Chris Baker start in his place. Or Kerry Rhodes is out, lets have Revis start there instead. They play completely different positions and there is zero chance Gholston OR Bowens know the technique to play the 3-4 end. HOWEVER, in obvious pass rushing situations Gholston and Bowens can fill in.

Marijuana possession, in small ammounts, should be a civil infraction... Ellis should not have been arrested for that. Driving without insurance, now that's just plain stupid, especially for a big money NFL player. Begs the question, why and WTF are you thinking? If he had an accident and it was his fault, with no insurance... Lawsuit city.
Whether you like it or not, or think it's a good or bad thing, pot is usually a very lowe level crime in New Jersey and most states, but still a crime.And it violates the NFL's substance abuse policy, which he should know since the day he was drafted. With the kind of money this guy has on the line, he's a complete imbecile. Good bye. Terminate his overpaid ass for cause and be done with it.

:Nuts:

Regarding the no insurance- he may have just had no insurance cards in his vehicle. In that case, a nasty cop (is there another kind?) will write up a ticket for no insurance.

The vehicle is registered in SC, how much could car insurance be? If he doesn't have it, he is an idiot.

I'm dissapointed in him. Acting like a jackass driving around with pot in the car and no registration or insurance.

What is he, 17?

Pretty surprised by this, always thought he was a stand up guy and leader on this team. If anything sit out the next four and be ready for the playoffs

I don't give a **** if the guy smokes pot, but not in your car. Don't be driving around with the ****. C'mon now.

Now hes gets tested on a moments notice several times a year.

What we don't know-the NFL doesn't disclose a first positive test prior to this, and you could get off with a warning or litigate a "false positive" (something I've dealt with with clients a few times in the last few weeks, as it happens)or enter a diversion to treatment without ever being disclosed. We won't know right away until the NFL makes a statement. he might already be in that program and if he is he's facing a much stiffer penalty and a longer suspension.

Suspend him four games?!?!?!?!?! For weed?!?!?!

Jesus christ. Get over yourselves. Were not talking about Nate Newton here. He probably had a bag on him. First time offense for pot doesnt even get you a game. He's never had any behavior problems(that I know of) since he's entered the league.

Was he an idiot? Yes. Did he recognize his mistake? Yes. Are we in the middle of a playoff hunt? Bet your ass we are. Now is not the time for the Gustapo. Shaun is better than any other alternative that we have.

Jesus christ. Get over yourselves. Were not talking about Nate Newton here. He probably had a bag on him. First time offense for pot doesnt even get you a game. He's never had any behavior problems(that I know of) since he's entered the league.

Was he an idiot? Yes. Did he recognize his mistake? Yes. Are we in the middle of a playoff hunt? Bet your ass we are. Now is not the time for the Gustapo. Shaun is better than any other alternative that we have.

How do you know this is a first time offense? First time offenses are generally not made public

I don't care what people feel about smoking pot. It's illegal and this idiot messes up during a season that could be the jets best chance to get to a super bowl and win. He is going to get suspended at least one game right? Anyone know what the rules are for first time infractions for drug offense?

How do you know this is a first time offense? First time offenses are generally not made public

Arrests are though. The league hasn't officially commented on it yet.

Your right. The league doesn't usually comment on a first time test positive pot bust. Discipline is kept confidential.

When your arrested. It's out there for everyone.

I'm fairly shocked at some of the suggestions that are being tossed around here...have gholston or bowens take ellis' spot?? seriously?? If anyone would take his place it would be DeVito who has played pretty darn well when giving the big kat a breather..and I would imagine you would than have Mosley subbing in at both LDE and RDE instead of just backing up Coleman.

Not to trash on the guys who wanted to put bowens or gholston as our new LDE, but they are easily 30 pounds too light and would be absolutely picked on. I will admit if they wanted to run a 4-3 a few times than that could work. Something along the lines of

Pace - Mosley - Jenkins - Gholston.. That would than force other issues, but i've seen them run the 4-3 a handful of times this year. Basically as long as Jenkins is able to play, I don't see Devito or Mosley struggling in Shaun's place. I don't think stopping the run was ever the issue here; I think frank gore is going to be utilized mostly in the passing game and stopping mike martz should be a challenge.

Yes. Gholston at DE in the 3-4? lol that might be enough to make Martz run more than pass.

According to PFT.com, the Jets were aware of the situation and they might've already disicplined him, nobody knows. The NFL didn't go after Santonio Holmes so I doubt that they will go after Shaun.

You are probably right.

If a player, for the first time, fails a pee test for pot, it is kept confidential. He gets fined and has to attend drug awareness classes. Usually there is no suspension.

Roids, or masking agents, are a different matter. First time, four games.

But I'm not so sure.

It will be interesting to see how the league handles this. Goodell has been wildly inconsistent in his discipline.

We'll see what happens here.

I don't give a **** if the guy smokes pot, but not in your car. Don't be driving around with the ****. C'mon now.

he has to bring it home somehow :)

i don't understand the no insurance though...wtf? its funny that an nfl player gets pulled over and gets arrested for possession, but i have seen many a teenager get pulled over and just get the stuff taken away...

most times it doesn't even get you arrested :)

Arrests are though. The league hasn't officially commented on it yet.

Your right. The league doesn't usually comment on a first time test positive pot bust. Discipline is kept confidential.

When your arrested. It's out there for everyone.

Exactly when a player is arrested it is made public but we have no idea if he already had a strike against him. Do not expect the league to be lenient with whats going on with the water pills.

alright. This is a lousy cop if you ask me. And I should know--drum roll please--I'm a cop. Before you start to snicker let me assure you--though I'm only a cop when I;m working, it is actually my profession.

Problem #1: failure to exhibit a valid registration card is a cause for a summons--but we (and Hanover) have Mobile data terminals in our cars that confirm registration with or without a hard-copy card. Good reg.--no card should be a written warning.

#2 Failure to exhibit a valid insurance card when one reasonably believes the car to be insured should be a summons for failure to show documents, though a summons for uninsured motorist is applicable for those without common sense.

#3 Speeding--okay yur speeding you get a ticket--I've actually writtena pro-football player a ticket for this--he was doing over 40mph over the legal limit (not a Jet--but he'd get one for something so stupid and dangerous regardless).

#4marijuana possession--to me, it depends on the amount. You got a joint in your car? get out drop it on the ground and stomp it with your shoe and apologise--see you later. A half-ounce or more, put your hands behind your back and be ready for the bracelets.

My biggest problem with this stop--A PRESS RELEASE FROM THE JACKASS OFFICER! HE HAS NOT YET BEEN TO COURT, FOUND GUILTY, OR SENTENCED IN ANY WAY. This tells me the cop was looking for headlines. incredibly unprofessional.. no officer should be doing this job to make a name or be lauded as a hero. I've worked in the inner-city, been involved in pursuits, nearly stabbed, was injured and saw at least two of my co-workers permanently disabled. They never got any press--why would this jackass be puttng out a press release to brag about a little weed and a bunch of tickets. That being said, Ellis still should have known better. The officer should have had more class and professionalism as well. Shame on both of them.

alright. This is a lousy cop if you ask me. And I should know--drum roll please--I'm a cop. Before you start to snicker let me assure you--though I'm only a cop when I;m working, it is actually my profession.

Problem #1: failure to exhibit a valid registration card is a cause for a summons--but we (and Hanover) have Mobile data terminals in our cars that confirm registration with or without a hard-copy card. Good reg.--no card should be a written warning.

#2 Failure to exhibit a valid insurance card when one reasonably believes the car to be insured should be a summons for failure to show documents, though a summons for uninsured motorist is applicable for those without common sense.

I'm pretty sure the data base doesn't include out of state (South Carolina) vehicles. It's quite possible the car is registered and insured and he just didn't have the cards. I think NY has a scan of the insurance cards now, but that wouldn't help out of state.

Yes, I think it's the South Carolina thing that might be messing him up. He might not have gotten it because he was planning to visit down there during the year and had it taken care of then, but never got down there. Or he might have handled it by mail but never got around to taking it from his house to his car.

A little irresponsible, but trying to blame him for bailing on the team because of this is getting overwrought. Other players shoot people and drag women across stages by their hair. This guy forgets to take care of his car registration in another state-let's have some perspective.

I second that emotion.

Archived