Shaun Ellis arrested NOW CONFIRMED

jetsrule128

What we don't know-the NFL doesn't disclose a first positive test prior to this, and you could get off with a warning or litigate a "false positive" (something I've dealt with with clients a few times in the last few weeks, as it happens)or enter a diversion to treatment without ever being disclosed. We won't know right away until the NFL makes a statement. he might already be in that program and if he is he's facing a much stiffer penalty and a longer suspension.

Good point.

Maybe he was late for a drug test and thats why he was speeding.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My biggest problem with this stop--A PRESS RELEASE FROM THE JACKASS OFFICER! HE HAS NOT YET BEEN TO COURT, FOUND GUILTY, OR SENTENCED IN ANY WAY. This tells me the cop was looking for headlines. incredibly unprofessional.. no officer should be doing this job to make a name or be lauded as a hero. I've worked in the inner-city, been involved in pursuits, nearly stabbed, was injured and saw at least two of my co-workers permanently disabled. They never got any press--why would this jackass be puttng out a press release to brag about a little weed and a bunch of tickets. That being said, Ellis still should have known better. The officer should have had more class and professionalism as well. Shame on both of them.

What if the PD was being bombarded by the media for a press release? Being accused of Racial profiling is another issue.

Good point.

Maybe he was late for a drug test and thats why he was speeding.

The Jets are saying that Ellis is playing Sunday, which probably means this is the first time he's been in trouble. If he had prior substance abuse issues within the NFL's program, he wouldn't be playing.

This seems to come up over and over, and I have the conversation with my sons all the time. This is not 1968(as an aside a barkeep pal of mine used to tell the story that the primest post in the Marine Corps as late as the late 1950s was the Panama Canal zone because you could buy pot cigars for almost pennies,and that was in every rank and it wasn't frowned upon offduty) .

In corporate America if you have any plan to climb the greasy pole of career advancement you will probably have to pee in a cup regularly. Wake the eff up. Pot, heroin, meth and cocaine stay in your bloodstream for at least 30 days, much longer in hair and fingernail tests(6 to 8 months). Alcohol, by contrast, is out in 24 hours in most cases unless you practically pickle yourself. The only reason that Driving While Impaired for drugs is rarely charged is that the tests to do adminstered would necessarily be more invasive blood tests(requiring a court order) and take much longer than the relatively simple Breathalyzer that's used for DWI.

In this economy companies are trying to find ways to cut costs and insurance premiums. Whether you or I think that's good or bad is irrelevant, it's reality. If they can knock another employee off that greasy pole due to that employee's stupidity or prevent the hiring of such a person in the first place, they're going to do it.Statistically a drug user is more likely to be late, have a high rate of sick and unexplained absence, more likely to have on the job accidents and just goof off on company time more often. Also dumping such an employee means hiring another employee at the lowest wage and the least medical benefits and retirement funding, if any.

One more thing that I have learned, and a client learned the hard way-just because some supplement you bought at GNC says CREATINE does not mean it's perfectly legal and free of questionable substances. Read labels of what you put in your body, and know what your employer's policies are. It's really unpleasant to hear someone practically beg for his job trying to almost cry that he bought it at GNC, so how could it be bad?

In this economy companies are trying to find ways to cut costs and insurance premiums. Whether you or I think that's good or bad is irrelevant, it's reality. If they can knock another employee off that greasy pole due to that employee's stupidity or prevent the hiring of such a person in the first place, they're going to do it......Also dumping such an employee means hiring another employee at the lowest wage and the least medical benefits and retirement funding, if any.

I am not sure the parallels apply. The Jets are not looking to downsize from the present 61 man roster to save money in a tight economy. And they are not looking to bring in a young defensive end merely to save salary if that young defensive end cannot play at the level of the man he is replacing.

If you take ten graduates from college trained in the same major, most of them will probably be approximately as good as the rest. In other words, 8 of the 10 will do. But if you take ten defensive ends out of college, hgihly rated, you are lucky if one of them is able to perform at an NFL level year after year.

KFFL on the Ellis arrest

Jets | Ellis arrested for marijuana possession

Fri, 05 Dec 2008 04:37:25 -0800

The Associated Press reports New York Jets DE Shaun Ellis was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana, speeding and driving without insurance after getting pulled over Saturday, Nov. 29. Ellis was stopped in Hanover, N.J., according to the Daily Record of Morris County. This is believed to be Ellis' first offense, which means he will not be suspended but will be enrolled in the league's substance abuse program. Ellis will still play in the team's Week 14 game.

Just one more hurdle to overcome in a season where the team keeps finding out they can do things they did not think they could.

This will be an after thought in a few weeks, and if he is suspended it might even force Sutton to push the blitz a bit more.

4 games to a division title

I'm pretty sure the data base doesn't include out of state (South Carolina) vehicles. It's quite possible the car is registered and insured and he just didn't have the cards. I think NY has a scan of the insurance cards now, but that wouldn't help out of state.

the database includes every state in the US. I run plates every night. Insurance is a common sense thing. If the vehicle is newer, leased or has several older cards but not the current one, I would reasonably assume the insurance is valid--therefore failure to exhibit documents summons at most.

What if the PD was being bombarded by the media for a press release? Being accused of Racial profiling is another issue.

A P.D. doesn't give out information on active investigations simply because the press bombarded them for info. This is grandstanding and it it embarrasses me as a cop. As for Ellis--a foolish mistake, he'll have to take it on the chin because of the decisions he made. That wasn't the cop's fault.

Ellis was charged with no insurance and failure to produce a registration card. So I guess the cop checked and the car was registered, but not having proof in the car is a violation itself, I guess.

Wonder how the cop found the marijuana. Did Ellis have it on the front seat? Did the cop search the vehicle? Was Ellis smoking it at 8:30 in the morning and the cop smelled it?

the database includes every state in the US. I run plates every night. Insurance is a common sense thing. If the vehicle is newer, leased or has several older cards but not the current one, I would reasonably assume the insurance is valid--therefore failure to exhibit documents summons at most.

You can do that from the car? I don't think every locality can do that. They couldn't a couple of years ago. Even if you can run the plate, like you said that won't show the insurance. I haven't been in the US for a couple of years, but I can remember being getting hassled out of state for not having my registration card when NY has the sticker in the windshield and specifically says not to leave the card in the car (you could use it to transfer the vehicle).

Over here you actually have your insurance card stuck to a window.

I'm not a pot fan....and yes, I have partaken in the past on many occasions. I know folks who are still regular users. There are several things I can say about regular (habitual) pot usage with great confidence.

1) I've never met an over-achiever who smoked weed regularily.

2) I've never met a habitual pot smoker who realized their full potential.

3) Frequent smokeage makes you lazy.

Anyway, I'm thinking this Ellis dude smokes on a regular basis. It is IN season and it was a Saturday morning....

Additionally, it's illegal, people. Ellis has a lot to lose doing something "illegal." So, maybe one can deduce that regular pot smoking makes you stupid? ;)

That said, 'gotta give the man his props for just coming out and apologizing. No excuses. No whining. Nothing. He manned up and apologized. I, for one, appreciate it. It's not like he pulled a "Ty Law" and put the blame on his cousin....or Rogah blaming his wife...or that cyclist blaming a twin fetus that died in utero twenty four years ago.....

I'm not a pot fan....and yes, I have partaken in the past on many occasions. I know folks who are still regular users. There are several things I can say about regular (habitual) pot usage with great confidence.

Anyway, I'm thinking this Ellis dude smokes on a regular basis. It is IN season and it was a Saturday morning....

Additionally, it's illegal, people. Ellis has a lot to lose doing something "illegal." So, maybe one can deduce that regular pot smoking makes you stupid? ;)

That said, 'gotta give the man his props for just coming out and apologizing. No excuses. No whining. Nothing. He manned up and apologized. I, for one, appreciate it. It's not like he pulled a "Ty Law" and put the blame on his cousin....or Rogah blaming his wife...or that cyclist blaming a twin fetus that died in utero twenty four years ago.....

Some of the most influential artists were pot users. Ludwig Van Beethoven, Vincent Van Gogh ring a bell? It was said that Beeethoven wrote Fur Elise while in a trance like daze set on by an archaic version of Lysergic acid and pot.

Yes pot is illegal, but most people overestimate the phychadelic properties of a little weed and it's effects on people. Lazy people are gonna be lazy regardless of if they use pot or not. Most of the biggest stars in music and misc. enetertainment are habitual pot users, as well as users of harder drugs. I'd call their kind "overachievers". Not trying to make a case for weed, just pointing out that Pot isnt 1/2 as bad as people would like you to believe.

Some of the most influential artists were pot users. Ludwig Van Beethoven, Vincent Van Gogh ring a bell? It was said that Beeethoven wrote Fur Elise while in a trance like daze set on by an archaic version of Lysergic acid and pot.

Yes pot is illegal, but most people overestimate the phychadelic properties of a little weed and it's effects on people. Lazy people are gonna be lazy regardless of if they use pot or not. Most of the biggest stars in music and misc. enetertainment are habitual pot users, as well as users of harder drugs. I'd call their kind "overachievers". Not trying to make a case for weed, just pointing out that Pot isnt 1/2 as bad as people would like you to believe.

I am pretty sure Garb was not talking about artistic types.

Snoop Dogg is a successful artist. I would not classify him as an over achiever. I would not say a stoner lacks creavity, but I am not going wait around for them to find a cure for cancer either.

I am pretty sure Garb was not talking about artistic types.

Snoop Dogg is a successful artist. I would not classify him as an over achiever. I would not say a stoner lacks creavity, but I am not going wait around for them to find a cure for cancer either.

it was just an example.

Wall Street yuppie types use pot as well, but their drug of choice is cocaine.

You sound like an old hag.

"God damn degenerates smoking the pot!"

No offense by the way.

I was talking about habitual use - and I've seen it every time. People that smoke a lot are lazy. While I do like your examples, they are extreme and certainly do not apply to anyone you or I know - I dare say....unless you have a brilliant creative genius friend who suffers from manic depression like Beethoven?

Van Gogh became famous for his work AFTER his death....imagine the wealth and fame he could have experienced while alive if only he weren't drug addict in love with a hooker and crazy enough to lop off an earlobe in her honor. Ya think weed makes yah crazy enough to cut off body parts? ;)

BTW - I beleive Jetsbaby has exclusive rights to the term " old hag."

Van Gogh became famous for his work AFTER his death....imagine the wealth and fame he could have experienced while alive if only he weren't drug addict in love with a hooker and crazy enough to lop off an ear lob in her honor. Ya think weed makes yah crazy enough to cut off body parts? ;)

Everyone gets that wrong. He was a schizophrenic, and he cut off his ear to try and stop the voices. Your art history teacher failed.

Everyone gets that wrong. He was a schizophrenic, and he cut off his ear to try and stop the voices. Your art history teacher failed.

Never took art history. Rumor had it that the instructor was really tough. Seeing that I smoked a decent amount of weed in college, I really didn't want to work THAT hard :) So, I took Women and Society instead. Heck, we are talking ELECTIVES here. LOL!

Never took art history. Rumor had it that the instructor was really tough. Seeing that I smoked a decent amount of weed in college, I really didn't want to work THAT hard :) So, I took Women and Society instead. Heck, we are talking ELECTIVES here. LOL!

and you still got a B...you little pothead:D

I was talking about habitual use - and I've seen it every time. People that smoke a lot are lazy. While I do like your examples, they are extreme and certainly do not apply to anyone you or I know - I dare say....unless you have a brilliant creative genius friend who suffers from manic depression like Beethoven?

Van Gogh became famous for his work AFTER his death....imagine the wealth and fame he could have experienced while alive if only he weren't drug addict in love with a hooker and crazy enough to lop off an earlobe in her honor. Ya think weed makes yah crazy enough to cut off body parts? ;)

BTW - I beleive Jetsbaby has exclusive rights to the term " old hag."

The majority of the greats only become famous after their death. It's what they did during their lives that allowed them to create such genius works of art that leads to the intrigue. Drug use is a recurring motif among all these GREATS. From Mozart, to Bach to Van Gogh to Shakespeare, they all smoked ganja.

Anyway back t the pot and the idiot Ellis for having it in his uninsured car.

I know of a 70 year old lady who got stopped by a cop and didn't have her insurance card in the car. She got a ticket for no insurance.

When she went to court she showed the judge not just that she had insurance then, but that she actually had insurance when she was stopped-she just didn't have the card in the car. The judge was unmoved, gave her the full $100 fine for not having the card in the car. 70 year old lady.

Ellis might well have had insurance, just not the card in the car.

Where did this happen? I got into a fender bender in Suffolk County (Long Island) last year, cops came to the scene. I gave the cop my insurance card, turns out it was expired. (I had a new card, just never put it in the car) Cop said that as long as I have the same insurance as the card I showed him, it was okay. No ticket was issued.

The majority of the greats only become famous after their death. It's what they did during their lives that allowed them to create such genius works of art that leads to the intrigue. Drug use is a recurring motif among all these GREATS. From Mozart, to Bach to Van Gogh to Shakespeare, they all smoked ganja.

Mental illness is another reccuring motif.

Where did this happen? I got into a fender bender in Suffolk County (Long Island) last year, cops came to the scene. I gave the cop my insurance card, turns out it was expired. (I had a new card, just never put it in the car) Cop said that as long as I have the same insurance as the card I showed him, it was okay. No ticket was issued.

Yeah not sure about his story... most sate laws have it set up so that you just need to bring proof of insurance to your court date...

all these GREATS. From Mozart, to Bach to Van Gogh to Shakespeare, they all smoked ganja.

I support the legalization of marijuana. However, I would point out that people are not exactly sure who Shakespeare actually was, let alone if he smoked or not.

Was it Washington or Jefferson who was known for carefully tending his hemp plants?

Robert Parrish. Don't forget Robert Parrish.

went to school with a pothead at NU (the real NU)

kid had a C average, smoked pot every day

i believe to this day he smokes habitually

makes close to $200k a year, so what does that tell u?

I should have smoked more:D

If that's true, it means he has the potential to make 400K, but settles for 200k. Not a bad form of lazy! LOL! But fer crissakes Assmop, stop encouraging the youngins' here. :)

Hey...hey! What do you mean, the REAL NU? :box:

If that's true, it means he has the potential to make 400K, but settles for 200k. Not a bad form of lazy! LOL! But fer crissakes Assmop, stop encouraging the youngins' here. :)

Hey...hey! What do you mean, the REAL NU? :box:

It means sometimes getting good grades means diddly.

that said I would never want my kids to smoke it

this guy did not have potential for 400k believe me, iam envious as hell he

makes this much.

You know who the real NU is:comb:

I am friends with a former pot head... landed him in jail for a year or so not too long ago...

No need to use the stuff, can good things come of using it? Im sure they can... but its not worth the risk of bad things associated with using an illegal drug.

went to school with a pothead at NU (the real NU)

kid had a C average, smoked pot every day

i believe to this day he smokes habitually

makes close to $200k a year, so what does that tell u?

I should have smoked more:D

I had a friend in college who was blazing constantly. We had a 7:30 exam and couldn't find him. Track him down and he's smoking a bowl in his room and offers us some. Tells us that if you're high when you study you have to be high for the test. He did fine, mostly Bs and Cs until we lost track of him.

Archived