Shaun Ellis arrested NOW CONFIRMED

jetsrule128

please forgive me if this was posted already

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3748190

Jets' Ellis could still face suspension after marijuana arrest

Associated Press

Updated: December 5, 2008, 3:58 PM ET

Jets DE Shaun Ellis Charged With Multiple Crimes

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A remorseful Shaun Ellis stood in front of his locker and quietly answered all the questions, eager to put his arrest for marijuana possession behind him.

"It's obviously a mistake," the New York Jets defensive end said Friday. "It's something I have to deal with. Of course, my teammates are brought in the middle of this, but we'll move past it and I will be responsible and just move on and look forward to the rest of the season."

While the team's discipline of Ellis didn't include a suspension or removal of his defensive captain status, the Jets' longest-tenured player and sacks leader could still be suspended by the NFL.

League spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed the case will be reviewed under the NFL's substance-abuse policy, but would not comment or speculate on potential discipline. According to the policy, Ellis could be suspended by commissioner Roger Goodell.

"We sat down with Shaun and discussed the situation with him, at which point we expressed our disappointment with what happened," coach Eric Mangini said. "Shaun did exactly what I expected Shaun to do, which was take full accountability for his actions and express his disappointment to us, the fans, to his teammates, to his family, to himself. At that point, we disciplined him internally and now it's a pending legal matter."

The 31-year-old Ellis was arrested last Saturday and charged with possession of marijuana, speeding and driving without insurance after being pulled over by police in Hanover, N.J., a few miles from the team's training facility.

Hanover Township Police Capt. Shawn Waldron said Ellis willingly turned over the marijuana when the officer smelled it in the car, and the defensive end said he had smoked some the night before. Waldron said Ellis had less than 50 grams on him, making it a disorderly persons offense in New Jersey.

"So it's not even really considered a crime," Waldron said.

"I think, for me, I have been a standup guy," Ellis said. "It's a bump that I ran across. People will judge, and they have the right to do so. It's my mishap. I just hope that everything can move forward and the fans still embrace me."

Mangini said the team addressed the incident shortly after it happened and disciplined Ellis internally, but would not discuss details, citing team policy. Ellis played the day after the arrest in New York's 34-17 loss to Denver, and will play Sunday at San Francisco.

"We're a tight-knit team here and we're going to support him like the brother that he is," linebacker Eric Barton said.

Ellis was speeding at 8:37 a.m. Saturday when he was pulled over, according to the police report. Waldron said Ellis was asked for his registration and insurance, but was uncooperative. "He told the officer, 'Look, you can look that up online. I don't have to show it to you,' :rolleyes: " Waldron said, "which is not true."

The officer then used his computer to confirm the registration, which was why Ellis only got a summons for failure to exhibit it. Because proof of insurance couldn't be done through the computer, Ellis was written up for not having it.

He was also issued a summons for possession of drug paraphernalia, as well as motor vehicle summonses for speeding and failure to keep right.

"It's not been distracting," Ellis said. "It's been a disappointment. It's just something I've got to learn from and move forward."

Ellis has enjoyed a resurgence this season with a team-leading seven sacks, his most in four years. He was the 12th overall pick out of Tennessee in the 2000 draft and has 60

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If that's true, it means he has the potential to make 400K, but settles for 200k. Not a bad form of lazy! LOL! But fer crissakes Assmop, stop encouraging the youngins' here. :)

Hey...hey! What do you mean, the REAL NU? :box:

despite the popular belief...pot does not make you lazy. the people were just lazy to begin with.

I'm not a pot fan....and yes, I have partaken in the past on many occasions. I know folks who are still regular users. There are several things I can say about regular (habitual) pot usage with great confidence.

1) I've never met an over-achiever who smoked weed regularily.

2) I've never met a habitual pot smoker who realized their full potential.

3) Frequent smokeage makes you lazy.

Anyway, I'm thinking this Ellis dude smokes on a regular basis. It is IN season and it was a Saturday morning....

Additionally, it's illegal, people. Ellis has a lot to lose doing something "illegal." So, maybe one can deduce that regular pot smoking makes you stupid? ;)

That said, 'gotta give the man his props for just coming out and apologizing. No excuses. No whining. Nothing. He manned up and apologized. I, for one, appreciate it. It's not like he pulled a "Ty Law" and put the blame on his cousin....or Rogah blaming his wife...or that cyclist blaming a twin fetus that died in utero twenty four years ago.....

wow, you must not have known too many people who smoked. because every one of those generalizations you made is terribly wrong.

If that's true, it means he has the potential to make 400K, but settles for 200k.

On the other hand, you don't know for sure that if he didn't smoke it, he might only be making $50K a year. :D

I am not encouraging anybody to do anything illegal, for which there are real penalties. If you are going into the medical field, for instance, you might run into big trouble with licensing if you have a drug bust on your record. Lots of other jobs too.

Archived