• 2pac "All Eyez On Me"
    • NWA "Straight Outta Compton"
    • Snoop Doggy Dogg "Doggystyle"
    • Notorious BIG "Ready to Die"
    • Eminem "Slim Shady LP"
    • Nas "Illmatic"
    • other - and you better explain

Different styles of music cater to different audiences

Rap caters to the talentless, the unintelligent, the barely-literate, or those who have been brainwashed into believing that it's politically incorrect to dislike it. All of which are, not coincidentally, the traits possessed by its biggest icons.

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rap caters to the talentless, the unintelligent, the barely-literate, or those who have been brainwashed into believing that it's politically incorrect to dislike it. All of which are, not coincidentally, the traits possessed by its biggest icons.

No generalizations there or anything. Some rap can be seen as a modern extension of poetry, just like some music in general. Although many rap listeners might be one of the above, there are also many who are not. Mainstream modern rap seems to follow, in general, what you say though. The last statement holds ground, but the rest can be a bit iffy at times with some people, whether they are a minority exception or not I don't know.

Big difference between football opinions and music. Different styles of music cater to different audiences; a person that likes modern rap might not like old school rap or vice versa, or someone might prefer west coast rap over the east coast stuff. I wouldn't discount anyone's musical tastes because I disagree with them.

Football teams face off head to head so it is easy to see who is best and who sucks. Music is just totally different, I don't see the comparison.

wrong again on 2 different accounts...different teams play different styles of football. different styles of football appeal to different fans.

also, rappers "battle" head-to-head, and many "rival" musicians release albums on the same date to compete with eachother..

wrong again on 2 different accounts...different teams play different styles of football. different styles of football appeal to different fans.

also, rappers "battle" head-to-head, and many "rival" musicians release albums on the same date to compete with eachother..

I was expecting that response, for the first part at least. They play different styles of football, but it's all contained within definitive rules set by the NFL. With music, there's no limitations as to what can come out and what you can enjoy. There's nobody to stop you except maybe the FCC. But that's easily circumvented.

The second response is missing my point. They go head to head, but there's no definitive measures to say who wins. It's like comparing a football game to a cheerleading competition. One has a concrete, definitive winner while the other is subject to the judge's opinion. There's room for disagreement without a mathematical system for scoring. That doesn't exist in rap. When's the rap championship?

I was expecting that response, for the first part at least. They play different styles of football, but it's all contained within definitive rules set by the NFL. With music, there's no limitations as to what can come out and what you can enjoy. There's nobody to stop you except maybe the FCC. But that's easily circumvented.

The second response is missing my point. They go head to head, but there's no definitive measures to say who wins. It's like comparing a football game to a cheerleading competition. One has a concrete, definitive winner while the other is subject to the judge's opinion. There's room for disagreement without a mathematical system for scoring. That doesn't exist in rap. When's the rap championship?

the bet awards?

the bet awards?

That's akin to the grammies or the Pro Bowl game. There simply isn't a best rapper, or a best anything, when there's no rigid, defining system to show it. People are entitled to their opinions, although they should at least be unbiased (or, more accurately, independent of said person's personal life, when judging something like entertainment) and exposed to everything (as in, don't make a case against something you've never heard).

On an entirely unrelated note, the whole BET thing is a joke. If someone tried creating a WET, there'd be mass cries of racism and all **** like that.

JB, he's got you here, and it's not really even close.

A football team is judged my objective measure. Wins and Losses.

A rapper is judged by subjective measure. Musical Taste.*

Essentially, there is no iron clad argument you could make that MC Hammer is not the best rapper ever.

*or lack thereof.

That's akin to the grammies or the Pro Bowl game. There simply isn't a best rapper, or a best anything, when there's no rigid, defining system to show it. People are entitled to their opinions, although they should at least be unbiased (or, more accurately, independent of said person's personal life, when judging something like entertainment) and exposed to everything (as in, don't make a case against something you've never heard).

On an entirely unrelated note, the whole BET thing is a joke. If someone tried creating a WET, there'd be mass cries of racism and all **** like that.

you win, little one. you win.

• 6 months later...
Ok. DON'T rest in obscurity, guy I never heard of. Why is that other guy I never heard of talking mess about you, anyway? Gotta watch out for those "roomers."

Artist: Nate Dogg f/ 2Pac

Album: G Funk Classics Vol. 1

Song: Me and My Homies

Typed by: SVswish@prodigy.com

(Chorus)

Me and my homies tho

you know we kick it like everyday

Me and my homies, kick it like everyday

[Nate Dogg]

But I'm alone in my room

and I dont have no one to talk to

I catch a girl with my phone