• Snoop Doggy Dogg "Doggystyle"
    • Notorious BIG "Ready to Die"
    • Eminem "Slim Shady LP"
    • Nas "Illmatic"
    • other - and you better explain

PROOF from D12 meets an early Death in Detroit Club

By Alex Alonso for Street Gangs Magazine

June 1, 2006

Proof (Deshaun Holton), Eminem's best man from his wedding (this last one with Kim) and member of the rap group D12, was shot and killed last April 11, 2006, at approximately 4:30 a.m. at the Triple C Club on 8 Mile Road in Detroit.

What transpired that night in the club was a fight that was reportedly over a billiards game that led to a conflict between Proof and Keith Bender Jr, 35. The fight that started resulted in Proof firing the first shot after pistol-whipping Bender and knocking him to the ground. Mario Etheridge, 28, of Detroit and bouncer at the club fired four shots at Proof, including a shot to the head. He is also a cousin to Bender. "The understanding of every witness we've spoken to is that Proof pulled out a weapon," attorney Randall Upshaw said, "and it was Proof that shot the first shot. Proof shot Keith in the face. And Keith was unarmed. Mario is not a criminal. How many criminals do you know who turn themselves in?" Proof was gunned down as he stood over Bender.

Both Proof and Bender were taken to St. John Hospital where Proof was announced dead on arrival. One week later, Bender died of his injuries on April 18, 2006. Proof was set to work on his third album. Etheridge turned himself in to authorities and was cleared of any wrong doing that led to the death of Proof by the county prosecutor on May 30, 2006. He will face weapons charges and could do five years in prison on a concealed weapon charge and four years on a discharging a firearm count.

Proof's 2005 solo debut

Proof died with a blood alcohol level of 0.32% (four times the level considered drunk under Michigan law) and became belligerent during a game of pool. The man he argued with stopped to speak to him on his way out and Proof then argued with Bender and later returned with a gun, pistol-whipped Bender and shot him in the face. Proof leaves behind his wife Sharonda, sons DeShaun Rice and Elija Abel and daughter Katieva Walker.

This unfortunate double murder was a result of a series of bad decisions being made by Proof and anyone who attempted to communicate with him during those early morning hours. Proof is the ultimate person responsible for what occurred that morning, but others could have played a preventative role to where two people could possibly still be alive. Serious lessons can be learned from this incident and there are several dos and don'ts you should follow if you find yourself in this situation:

When entering the night club environment, be aware of your surroundings and most importantly observe who is consuming the most alcohol. Very important to stay away from that person and that part of the club. If Proof's alcohol content was not 0.32, he may not have been compelled to attack Bender.

Don't ever try to rationalize with a heavy drinker or talk your way out of an argument with that person in a night club environment. You will loose that argument everytime and set yourself up for a long night and possible fued. Bender should have never said a word to Proof. Ofcourse I am not going to blame an unarmed Bender for getting shot by Proof, but at 35 years, you need to have better judgement of how to deal with and communicate with a guy like Proof early in the morning in a Detroit spot.

Although most clubs check for weapons at the door, always assume that there are armed club goers on the premises. Either on their person or in their cars. If you can read people's body language and demeaner, you will be able to determine who might be possibly armed and avoid them.

Learn to walk away from confrontations that include heavy drinking and weapons. How many times do we need to see that this mix can be deadly?

Although Proof acted irrational by using a weapon to settle his differences with another man over a game of billiards, Bender could have walked away from the situation. Bender's words with Proof, a person already under the influence of alcohol, caused Proof to react violently. It is unfortunate that Etheridge had to kill Proof, but by the time he intervened, Proof had already dealt Bender the injuries that would end his life.

I hope that serious lesson could be learned from this situation, but unfortunately, not many in the hip hop community are discussing this tragic event in its proper context. Many reports in this shooting would leave the observer believing that Proof was some how innocently victimize by random violence at a club during the early morning hours. The truth is that Proof caused his own death, something that he rapped about in the songs Loyalty and 40 Ounce from the D-12 World album.

"...for life as D12, no ice and spreewells, Every night that I chill in, I fight by free-will Knowing I can be killed, Leaving my group, pieces of proof with a reason to shoot And a license to kill We lost Bugz and i'll be damed if we lose another man from our clan Without forcing our hand..."

"...I was raised by drunks so I became a drunk 80 Proof on this vodka, that's the name I want I'm in the club to beef, you gotta murder me there Only talk to a bitch - wit burgundy hair On the isle in the Vet, bumpin Seven Duece! See that top on that 40, you know it's comin loose See me on the ave daily, be running this **** If your chick get loud I'll G Money that bitch Packing mags and clips, I'll smash ya clique Because of Proof, they put the G in the alphabet Smoking weed, drinking Henny, Remy and that Jimmy Don't worry if you run out, the corner store got plenty!"

The saying goes that you talk about death enough, it will come knocking on your door.

http://www.streetgangs.com/magazine/060106proof.html

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stack Bundles>Proof

to be honest, Proof is the most talented emcee to ever emerge from Detroit (although old Eminem and Royce da 5'9 give him a run for that title)

i only have a few tracks by stack bundles (ones from a 2007 mixtape my sister gave me for Xmas, it was track 1 and the only good song on the mixtape) and he was no proof.

Wait 'til school's over, pupils are people to shoot through

Kids goin cuckoo, with a two-two

Since my friend is this new dude, in this high school

Losing his noodle, learn that people don't like you

The football jocks is, spittin on him

Popular kids in school is now pickin on him

Burn out youngsta n****z now hittin on him

And his teacher in his english class keep flippin on him

And now he's grounded with no allowances

for drinkin forty ounces, cause he was caught by his counselors

And why the **** I gotta ride the bench coach?

Already got expelled for wearin a trenchcoat

All I ever seen is.. {violence, violence}

Told me to keep silent, stop battin my eyelids

It's apparent that my parents weren't parents at all

That's why I blew out my brains and infront of you all

A dozen chosen showguns to shotguns

Roll up on you with no guns but still pop one

I bomb like napalm from the curb to your house

And "Please God" the last words out ya mouth

No affiliates, just dogs and troops

Most lyin' death than this morgue and roots

All we choose to beef, I bring spatulas

Flip it and throw it back at ya, so bring your gat with ya

Spectacular murder manufacturer, **** binacular

Only heaters talkin, I'm trappin ya just to flattin ya

Hop in the accura, roll up on the back of ya

Chill out in 5, and then them *****z act alive

I smoke branches from off the tree tops

I hang with real *****z, PA's, PK's and Pete Rock

Y'all *****z with pre-ops, spill blood and Reeboks

Don't discriminate blastin wookies AND at ewaks!

Your streetforce envolves just for excitement

Like if you wasnt you never heard of enditement

I sum it up quick so that you can understand me

**** you, your crew, your bitch and your whole family

How you think yo' crew sound, compared to this?

It's the team that yo' entire clique scared to diss

Demandin, attentions when the glock sound

Y'all *****z to be murdered like Jeffery Dahmer's on lock down

I'm Brown like Bobby, pullin hoes like Whitney

Take your title kill your moms - so you won't forget me

Lips sealed; *****, I might blow important plots

Whoever front is gettin done like Michael Jordan pops

Yo I'm number one translator, mic famed Dirty D

Y'all *****z gettin hung like this was 1933

Got word of me now flee, cause you ain't got a chance

Death is three easy steps so now we gotta dance

his flow was flawless

You listened to Dipset's version of Stack..which isn't bad..but you need to listen to Stack when he ran with Joe Budden.

Proof sucks. So does his group. Purple pills? Come on..mainstream rap blows.

LOL listen to proof on D-12's "Underground EP" or any of his music in his other group "Promatic" (Proof and Dogmatic).

Proof was the hip hop mayor of detroit son.

"...rock one in your dotson, always on point like Stockton

holdin' a hot gun to your god sun,

you heard of

the one that murdered your whole squadron

??? will be victems when i rip the skies

you'll be ripped aside, tell your wife "Bitch good bye

necks get popped by them techs and glocks

connect the dots, i'll burn you like infected ****s

attacking every fake baller I see

cuz yall fake like psychics with Caller I.D."

Detroit, April 19, 2006 -- "Proof, he loved people, and people loved him. He was just a people magnet. When you first met him, you wanted to know more about him," said Eminem, who wore a black suit and occasionally wiped his eye as he stood by the gold-colored casket. "Without Proof, there would be no Eminem, no Slim Shady and no D12. You're the man." --eminem

All eminem is mtv mass produced cookie cutter garbage aimed at 15 year old white boys.

eminem was first on MTV in 1999

he started rapping in 1992

his made his first solo LP (Infinite) in 1995/96. far from being anything made for MTV.

D12 released their first mixtape in 1997, again far from MTV.

eminem made Slim Shady EP in 1998 with a video that got no MTV play.

then in 99 "my name is" comes out with Dr Dre backing him as his next big thing and THEN he's on mtv.

so yeah, your a cool guy arsis but you need some hip hop research :D

Bad comparision. If you said "Immature little 15 year old white boy wiggers who don't know real music", that would've been right. But, I'm a 15 year old white boy, and I dislike Eminem.

fo real son em cant rap

real music is

lil wanye

ti

soulja boy

ray j

yung berg

kanye

plies

flo rida

Archived