Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou?

Boynton Beach Jets

Sutton on hot seat?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2008/12/06/2008-12-06_if_jets_defense_struggles_against_49ers_.htmlf

Jets defense struggles against 49ers, Romeo Crennel rumros will fly

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Sunday, December 7th 2008, 12:08 AM

SAN FRANCISCO - If the Jets pull another defensive clunker Sunday when they face the 49ers, the Romeo Crennel rumors will heat up.

Crennel, likely to be fired as the Browns' coach, is a proven defensive coordinator who goes way back with Eric Mangini. They coached together with the Jets (1997-1999) and the Patriots (2001-2004), where they won three Super Bowls on Bill Belichick's staff.

The Jets are ranked 19th in total defense under Bob Sutton, but they've been leaking oil the last three weeks. The last three quarterbacks they've opposed, Matt Cassel, Kerry Collins and Jay Cutler, have passed for a combined 1,000 yards.

Next up: The 49ers' Shaun Hill, who is better than you might think. In seven starts, he has 11 touchdown passes, only four interceptions.

The Jets need to revert to the aggressive mentality they showed earlier in the season. In recent weeks, they've emphasized pass coverage over pass rush, according to players - a bend-but-don't-break philosophy. Last week against the Broncos, they blitzed on only 12 of 43 pass plays, unofficially. Some, including outside linebacker Calvin Pace, would like to get into the attack mode.

"I envision our (sack) numbers picking up," said Pace, whose production has tailed off. "It's not that we're getting blocked up. We've been covering a little bit more."

Pace is their best edge rusher, but he's regarded as a do-everything linebacker in the Jets' 3-4 scheme, and one of the things he's being asked to do is cover the tight end at times. Though he wasn't second-guessing the coaches, Pace indicated that he prefers rushing over covering.

The Jets generated only one sack in the last two games, although the Broncos and Titans are among the best pass-protecting teams in the league. But the downward trend started before that. End Shaun Ellis, arrested last week for possession of marijuana, has a team-high seven sacks, but he's in a four-game slump. Outside linebacker Bryan Thomas? No sacks in his last seven.

There should be chances against the 49ers, who are tied for second in sacks allowed (43). Their numbers have dropped in recent weeks - Hill doesn't take as many sacks as J.T. O'Sullivan, the previous starter - but a Mike Martz offense always will leave the quarterback vulnerable. The 49ers' coordinator uses a vertical passing attack, requiring double moves by the receivers, and that means the quarterback must hold the ball for a second or two longer than usual.

"We definitely need some pressure this week, just because a lot of the things they do are more down the field," Pace said. "I think this will definitely be the week for us to hopefully get back on track."

Since Mike Singletary replaced Mike Nolan on Oct. 20, the 49ers have evolved into more of a balanced offense. But the Jets, mindful of their struggles against the pass, expect Martz to come out winging it.

"Why not?" safety Kerry Rhodes said. "Why wouldn't they try to attack us that way?"

you can stop the run with your front 7, which gives you a S to work with in the passing game

so of course you allow 1,000 yards passing in 3 games, and no sacks by your OLB's in 4 games

jesus ****ing christ

I ****ing hate sutton

Romeo would be the best choice by far. More so than Ryan. I think the only thing that could save Sutton at this point would be the Jets winning the Super Bowl.

:)

his head's been on the chopping block before Max...Ryan was all but signed before Al Davis decided to screw us over by re-signing Ryan JUST so we wouldn't get him-it seemed that way anyway

I don't want Rob Ryan BTW, I liked him in his early days in Oakland but he really has turned into the most conservative co-ordinator in the league. Plus Al Davis loves him and to be successful in this league you have to take into consideration what Al Davis likes and go right in the opposite direction.

I'd probably take my grandmother over Sutton at this point, but I'm not sure that Romeo is the answer. I'm not sure I want Romeo with any sort of authority after watching the job he has done in Cleveland. It's not so much the losing as it is how lost he looks when he has to make any sort of decision. The defense in New England was Belichick's. He devised the gameplans and made the calls. If we can get Belichick to look over his shoulder, I'm all for it, but I can't say I'll be thrilled if Crennel holds any rank above a position coach on the 2009 Jets.

I'd probably take my grandmother over Sutton at this point, but I'm not sure that Romeo is the answer. I'm not sure I want Romeo with any sort of authority after watching the job he has done in Cleveland. It's not so much the losing as it is how lost he looks when he has to make any sort of decision. The defense in New England was Belichick's. He devised the gameplans and made the calls. If we can get Belichick to look over his shoulder, I'm all for it, but I can't say I'll be thrilled if Crennel holds any rank above a position coach on the 2009 Jets.

Spot on

Romeo better suited for Puppet show

Archived