ECU's Skip Holtz to be named Syracuse Head Coach

This is a HOME RUN in my opinion for Syracuse. With the fall of thier program, they were at best hoping for a established coordinator looking to make move up or a coach from a lesser conference looking to move up. I wasnt a big fan of hiring coordinators at the high level since many of them prove they cant take step up. Its alot different running a WHOLE program than just bein a coord.

Holts is a proven Head coach, proven he can run the whole show, proven recruiter in VERY tough circumastances (he got decent talent competing with UNC, NCState, South Carolina, Wake, Virginia, Clemson etc)..

He has Big East roots from his gig at UConn so he has East coast High school ties..

very good hire,,he will have Syracuse 'competing' next year and i na bowl hunt i n2 to 3 years,,,congrats on as good a hire as your program could get at this point in its down cycle...

By WTVH Sports

Michael Bradley from the NFL Network reports that Skip Holtz will be named Syracuse University's football coach on Monday.

Holtz, who led his Pirates to a Conference USA title Saturday, will be in New York City Monday to see his father inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.

SU athletic director Daryl Gross will be there, too, watching former Orangeman Don McPherson enshrined into the hall.

Looks like Gill out of running

Turner Gill emerges as Auburn coach candidate

Posted: December 8, 2008

Sporting News staff reports

After leading Buffalo to the MAC title, coach Turner Gill appears to be a serious candidate for the open spot as Auburn's football coach, according to several reports.

The Buffalo News reported that Auburn requested and received permission to speak with Gill before the MAC title game against Ball State. Buffalo athletics director Warde Manuel granted Auburn permission to speak with Gill. The Birmingham News reports that an interview has been arranged.

Yep. I posted that in the other thread...

And now Lou Holtz said today that "Syracuse and Skip are on different schedules" after the meeting between the two sides last night. He went on to say "Syracuse has looked around the nation for top coaching candidates, and wants their guy now, while Skip has been so busy with his season that he hasn't had time to explore all of his options".

You know what that reeks of? Yep, you guessed it...Daryl Gross sh!tting the bed yet again....

Yep. I posted that in the other thread...

And now Lou Holtz said today that "Syracuse and Skip are on different schedules" after the meeting between the two sides last night. He went on to say "Syracuse has looked around the nation for top coaching candidates, and wants their guy now, while Skip has been so busy with his season that he hasn't had time to explore all of his options".

You know what that reeks of? Yep, you guessed it...Daryl Gross sh!tting the bed yet again....

syracuse cant afford to hire another coordinator who MAY turn out good,,they need someone who has proven they can be a HC, regardless of level,,

syracuse cant afford to hire another coordinator who MAY turn out good,,they need someone who has proven they can be a HC, regardless of level,,

I agree. Dont want Marrone at all.

Now that it seems as if Holtz left NYC with only a promise that him and Gross "may talk again" (AKA: he didnt like what he heard from DG), and now that Gill is about to be named HC of Auburn... What are we left with?

Marrone

Kevin Rogers

and, yes, re-hiring Robinson for one more year.

Get this btch Chancellor Cantor and this asshat Gross outta here!!! Worthless pieces of trash!

I agree. Dont want Marrone at all.

Now that it seems as if Holtz left NYC with only a promise that him and Gross "may talk again" (AKA: he didnt like what he heard from DG), and now that Gill is about to be named HC of Auburn... What are we left with?

Marrone

Kevin Rogers

and, yes, re-hiring Robinson for one more year.

Get this btch Chancellor Cantor and this asshat Gross outta here!!! Worthless pieces of trash!

not so fast,,Holtz is a big candidate with Auburn,,you may end up with the loser of the Auburn sweepsteaks

not so fast,,Holtz is a big candidate with Auburn,,you may end up with the loser of the Auburn sweepsteaks

Since when? Havent heard anything about Holtz and Auburn. All Ive heard is that Syracuse is the only school Holtz had agreed to talk to. And on Sudnay night Lou Holtz made it sound like Skip was about to accept a job there. Today he made it sound like Skip has absolutely no interest.

This is 100% on Gross. He is completely responsible for the demise of what was once a respectable football program. Go spend another million on a sign in Manhatten, that'll make the program better! Friggin' Asshat.

Since when? Havent heard anything about Holtz and Auburn. All Ive heard is that Syracuse is the only school Holtz had agreed to talk to. And on Sudnay night Lou Holtz made it sound like Skip was about to accept a job there. Today he made it sound like Skip has absolutely no interest.

This is 100% on Gross. He is completely responsible for the demise of what was once a respectable football program. Go spend another million on a sign in Manhatten, that'll make the program better! Friggin' Asshat.

my bad,,misread the auburn article,,had a small paragraph at end about syracuse search and i saw holtz name,,

holtz is probably now lettin ecu match or beat Syracuse offer,,usually when a interviewing school lets the coach leave interview site without asigned contract its OVER..usually, u may still luck out, but my guess ois u get gill if he doesn tget auburn job..

if no gill, u probably go coordinator city toute again and thats always a crapshoot

ya unreal,,no one wanst the job it seems...

they will probably get Gill if Auburn turns him down

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/91776-skip-holtz-snubs-syracuse-now-what

Edited by SouthernJet

Not quite, thankfully :)

I go to ECU, and while Skip has had a few episodes of questionable play-calling, what he has done with a team SO injury-riddled (44 different starters on offense and defense this season, including the teams best player/NFL prospect in Quentin Cotton 3rd game of the season) is beyond amazing.

A lot of credit also goes to D-coord. Greg Hudson, who has done the most with nothing, but Skip kept this team together when it seemed the wheels would completely fall off (3 consecutive loses, including a heart-breaker against NC State).

He still has a lot of growing to do as a coach, but if he continues to improve he'll be a really good one eventually. I just hope we can keep him a couple more years before a BCS school lures him away.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3764790

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Greg Robinson learned to bleed Orange. New Syracuse coach Doug Marrone already has that part down

"When I went into coaching, I always prepared myself for this," the Bronx-born Marrone said Friday after being hired to replace Robinson as football coach. "This has been the job I have always wanted."

The offensive coordinator for the New Orleans Saints since 2006, Marrone is returning to the school where he played to try to resurrect a program that hasn't had a winning season since 2001. Robinson was fired in November after going 10-37 in four seasons.

"Not a lot of times in your life can you actually accomplish your dream," said Marrone, a three-year letterman at Syracuse under former coach Dick MacPherson in the mid-1980s. "Today is the greatest day of my life. This is my school and these are my people. You're going to be proud, and we're going to win football games."

Terms of Marrone's contract were not revealed. Robinson had one year left on a deal that paid $1.1 million per season.

Money wasn't on Marrone's mind as he contemplated working two jobs for a while.

"We need everyone to believe," he said. "We need the alumni, we need the fans. I love the people here."

The 44-year-old Marrone was selected by a football search committee that included former Syracuse players Tim Green, Art Monk, Don McPherson and Floyd Little, as well as MacPherson.

Athletic director Daryl Gross interviewed East Carolina coach Skip Holtz earlier in the week, but Holtz issued a statement through his athletic department on Thursday that he had withdrawn his name from consideration.

"We feel at the end of the day we got the best guy," Gross said. "He brings hope to our football program, brings hope to our student-athletes. He's got a group of kids that are just so hungry to win. It's time to rally around. He's going to be here a long time."

Like Robinson, this will be Marrone's first stint as a head coach. It doesn't figure to be a cakewalk. Robinson's tenure featured the only two 10-loss seasons in school history, too many of them by lopsided scores.

The team's poor performance under Robinson, who had three offensive coordinators in his four seasons, hurt the school financially. In 21 homes games over his first three seasons, more than 260,000 seats were not sold, average attendance fell to a 21-year low in 2007, and attendance numbers again were abysmal in 2008.

"For me to sit here and say that Doug Marrone is the right guy is what I would love to say, but I can't say that because I don't know at this point if Doug is the right guy for Syracuse football," said Green, a close friend of Marrone's in college. "This is a daunting task that he's going to face. It's one of the most difficult things in the world of sports, to take a college football program that's down and resurrect it."

Marrone joins basketball coach Jim Boeheim and lacrosse coach John Desko as Syracuse alumni who returned to work at their alma mater. Of course, Boeheim and Desko have won national championships.

"We are not in a rebuilding process. We are in the process of rejuvenating this program," Marrone said as several players listened intently. "I don't have any options. I cannot fail. I cannot fail. My option is only to win, and that's what I'm going to do."

Marrone began his coaching career as an assistant at Cortland State, just south of Syracuse, and coached at Coast Guard, Northeastern, Georgia Tech, Georgia and Tennessee. He was a New York Jets assistant for three years before joining the Saints.

Marrone played for the Miami Dolphins in 1987 and the Saints in 1989, and was with the London Monarchs of the World league in 1991.

Under Marrone's guidance, the Saints have become one of the NFL's most explosive and consistent offenses. New Orleans set an NFL record with 440 completions in 2007 and also set team highs for passing first downs (222), attempts (652), touchdown passes (28) and completion percentage (67.5), also allowing the fewest sacks in the league with 16.

That Marrone has been out of the college ranks for several years doesn't figure to inhibit him at Syracuse.

"I knew someone would say, 'He doesn't have the recruiting ties.' Well, I kept those recruiting ties," said Marrone, whose interview presentation included three binders that he assembled and tailored specifically for the Syracuse job. "I know what we need to win. I've been setting this plan for a long time."

Marrone said he would evaluate the current coaching staff before naming his assistants. Dan Conley, a star at Syracuse for Paul Pasqualoini in the 1990s, just completed his first season as linebackers coach and would appear to be a perfect fit for the new regime.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

rumor in NC is that Holtz has been 'behind the scenes' told to sit quiet and if Weis stinks again nexy tear OR is ND get screamed in hawaii,,then he will get the call. ND has told Holtz that Urban Meyer gets 1st crack, but id he sasy No then the job is Holts's.

As a Notre Dame alum and the son of a ex ND coach, Skip bleeds ND Blue/Gold.