What the Hell Happened to Kris Jenkins?

dbatesman

As recently as three weeks ago, people like Peter King had him in the conversation for DPOY, or even league MVP.

I gave him a mulligan for last week--Denver's ZBS line has handled big tackles before, and they'll do it again. But yesterday, I saw Jenkins getting handled at the line again, and unfortunately our DEs are not good enough to pick up the slack. There was shoddy tackling by the LBs too, and the entire defense seemed sluggish, tentative, and poorly-coached. But everything starts up front with Big Jinx, and he's been practically a non-factor the last 2 weeks.

I'm hoping someone who knows more about DL play can give some insight here. Has he just hit a rough patch? Is it an illusion--is it the rest of the defense that's screwing up? Or (God forbid) have teams figured out how to block him out of the play?

I don't think Jenk is 100% the way he's playing. I saw Pouha in the middle nearly as much as I saw him.

BTW, you can ask the same thing about the OL. They've been absolutely pathetic the past 2 games.

C) Teams have finally figured out what's been obvious for awhile, Spread us out and pass to set up the run and Jenkins is a non factor as he tires quickly..

Hopefully Buffalo is stupid and does plays into our strength with multiple TE formations..

I think its a combination of 2 things---one in a spread offense there will be less of Jenkins on the field because he is not going to be used as much in those situations. Secondly teams ability to convert on third down tires the big guy out. The one bad thing that came out of the Titan game is that the Titans proved you can not force the ball into the Jets defense no matter how good you are. The Jets will eat you up at the LOS playing that style. Prior to that game we played pretty lousy teams and I dont think decent teams really gave the run defense much weight until that Titan game. Couple that with the NE disaster in the 2nd half and all the crapola QBs looking like Johnny Unitas against us teams realized they can completely neutralize Jenkins by going 4 and 5 wide and picking their way down the field. If the Jets are not going to blitz having KJ in there on passing downs is almost pointless. Sure he gets some pressure every now and then, but unless you start making linemen think they have to pick up somebody all 3 of our guys are basically going to get doubled because they know there is no threat coming from anywhere else.

WE have to find a way to adjust, but our staff really seems to stink in that regard. It is a problem on offense too. Teams have realized if you play press coverage against our 2 wideouts they can not get off the line. They dont fight and they give up. These are not the normal ways the 49ers and Broncos play defense, but they did with us and had great success doing it. For some reason the Jets solution has been to give up on the run and try to go deep, but with no running threat the safeties are always there to double and our guys get no seperation at all anyway. If David Clowney is healthy they should consider him for at least something in the games.

As recently as three weeks ago, people like Peter King had him in the conversation for DPOY, or even league MVP.

I gave him a mulligan for last week--Denver's ZBS line has handled big tackles before, and they'll do it again. But yesterday, I saw Jenkins getting handled at the line again, and unfortunately our DEs are not good enough to pick up the slack. There was shoddy tackling by the LBs too, and the entire defense seemed sluggish, tentative, and poorly-coached. But everything starts up front with Big Jinx, and he's been practically a non-factor the last 2 weeks.

I'm hoping someone who knows more about DL play can give some insight here. Has he just hit a rough patch? Is it an illusion--is it the rest of the defense that's screwing up? Or (God forbid) have teams figured out how to block him out of the play?

I see where your coming from but you really can't blame Jenkins when the team is only blitzing 3 ****ing guys.

We been slacking the last two weeks, it happens to every team. I still think we got this, I honestly do.

I think its a combination of 2 things---one in a spread offense there will be less of Jenkins on the field because he is not going to be used as much in those situations. Secondly teams ability to convert on third down tires the big guy out. The one bad thing that came out of the Titan game is that the Titans proved you can not force the ball into the Jets defense no matter how good you are. The Jets will eat you up at the LOS playing that style. Prior to that game we played pretty lousy teams and I dont think decent teams really gave the run defense much weight until that Titan game. Couple that with the NE disaster in the 2nd half and all the crapola QBs looking like Johnny Unitas against us teams realized they can completely neutralize Jenkins by going 4 and 5 wide and picking their way down the field. If the Jets are not going to blitz having KJ in there on passing downs is almost pointless. Sure he gets some pressure every now and then, but unless you start making linemen think they have to pick up somebody all 3 of our guys are basically going to get doubled because they know there is no threat coming from anywhere else.

WE have to find a way to adjust, but our staff really seems to stink in that regard. It is a problem on offense too. Teams have realized if you play press coverage against our 2 wideouts they can not get off the line. They dont fight and they give up. These are not the normal ways the 49ers and Broncos play defense, but they did with us and had great success doing it. For some reason the Jets solution has been to give up on the run and try to go deep, but with no running threat the safeties are always there to double and our guys get no seperation at all anyway. If David Clowney is healthy they should consider him for at least something in the games.

That's a very good analysis and I think you hit it right on.

C) Teams have finally figured out what's been obvious for awhile, Spread us out and pass to set up the run and Jenkins is a non factor as he tires quickly..

Hopefully Buffalo is stupid and does plays into our strength with multiple TE formations..

Also our WRs are not top notch, as I have been saying for a year and a half. Crowd them and they don't separate. Coles is far less physical than he once was. And Cotchery is really slow. Coles claims they are both being doubled. I doubt it, not with Keller in the mix.

Archived