Will Clowney Be Active This Week?

Maxman

Brad Smith didn't return home with the team right away. I haven't seen an update on him but I would think he was out for this week at least.

David Clowney time? Favre seems to like throwing to Stuckey. Could Clowney come in and help?

Brad Smith didn't return home with the team right away. I haven't seen an update on him but I would think he was out for this week at least.

David Clowney time? Favre seems to like throwing to Stuckey. Could Clowney come in and help?

i will be active before Clowney

Other Coaching Points

Many fans continue to ask about when we'll see WR David Clowney on the field. Mangini promised nothing today but said he remains happy with Clowney's effort.

"David's been great," the coach said. "He's really been a great story, too. He came in last year and was lost somewhat. He always went fast but it wasn't always going fast in the direction we wanted.

"I think he's done a good job learning the offense. He's very consistent with the show-team things we want him to do. He's always pressuring the defense with the way he practices. We've been looking for a way to get him up for a long time now but it just hasn't worked out because of special teams. But I have no problem with David being on the 45."

Mangini was asked about the condition of Brad Smith after he absorbed a helmet-to-helmet shot from 49ers LB Patrick Willis late in Sunday's game. "We'll monitor him throughout the week and see where he is at the end of the week," Mangini said. Asked if Smith will practice, he said: "It'll be just some light things today, not the full practice."

And on the prospect of going outside today (and even Thursday) with steady rain in the area, the coach said: "I've been torn on that one today. I love going outside because I believe it's hard to simulate lousy, rainy, cold situations. I like going inside because it's warmer and you can do some things in that area that are a little bit crisper."

As I look past the rain-streaked windows to the practice fields beyond, the call for today's practice is outdoors.

Newest Jet: J.R. Reed

Mangini's housekeeping included the announcement of the singing of safety J.R. Reed to the Jets' active roster, replacing RB Marcus Mason, who it was announced Tuesday evening had been waived.

Why Reed, a 5'11, 202-pounder fifth-year man released by the Eagles in October?

"We play them every year in the preseason so we've looked at him," Mangini said. "[Assistant GM] Scott Cohen is here and he knows him from Philly. I've always liked him as a player. He's a very solid contributor on special teams, he's played in multiple games and done a good job in different roles. ... I thought it was a good decision."

Reed is an impressive NFL renaissance man. We'll talk with him later this week.

Leon: "It was a holding"

At Monday night's airing of "Inside the Jets," Leon Washington seemed unsure about the holding call against James Ihedigbo that cost him his second kickoff-return touchdown vs. the 49ers. But during today's locker room media availability, Washington gave a more definitive opinion based on further view.

"To tell you the truth, it was a holding,

we have not even seen an injury report yet

we know nothing about smith

just shut up about clowney until we see an injury report

Hey freshman,

The day when you are allowed to tell people to shut up is far away. Now give me your lunch money.

WR Brad Smith has a concussion, Mangini confirmed, and probably won't play Sunday. He missed practice for the second straight day. Speedster David Clowney could be active for the first time in his place. ... QB J.P. Losman will make his second straight start for the Bills. Trent Edwards (groin) sat out another practice. ...

Putting my green tinted glasses firmly in place, This could be perfect timing.

The papers mentioned today, and I had noticed it over the last several games, that teams were challenging Favre to throw the long ball, by putting 8 and even 9 guys in the box. Last week Favre threw the ball long 5 times. None of them connected. Nobody had separation.

One thing Clowney has for sure is big time up field speed. He showed flashes in the pre season of having learned how to be an NFL receiver. According to Mangini he has done a great job on the scout team impersonating fast receivers.

Sunday we find out if he is more then a mimic. If Favre can get the ball to this kid once or twice on long bombs, the Jets season might be rejuvenated. He doesn't have to catch 8 passes to be a game changer, one or two is all it would take.

One 50 yard bomb early in the game would force all DC's to reconsider putting 8-9 guys in the box.

Archived