Would you sacrifice the playoffs for Bill Cowher next season?

Matt39

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NO!!! This is as close as we`ve gotten to getting back to the SB in the last 10 Years ,half the people crying to bring in Chower are probably the same ones who cried to get Mangini here, so I say Win keep winning and don`t worry about next season till this one is actually over

Man, what really makes this an interesting question is the fact that Brett Favre could retire after this season. Would he choose to play one more year for Bill Cowher?

Either way, if you guys got Cowher you would be a competitive team with or without the franchise QB.

One of the first things he'll say when he has his PC for whatever team hires him will be "Get your expectations up!". I guarantee it. ;)

No.

Although the past two weeks have been ugly, we can easily become a hot team again and go on a nice run. I'm not ready to quit on this team just yet and still think we can bring home a championship if we start hitting on all cylinders like we did against the Titans.

am i the only one here who thought bill cowher wasn't that great?

he's not "that" great but i would take a flaming bag of **** over three guys we have in charge of the team now. The only way we get a new staff is by missing the playoffs...I still think we'll make the playoffs but we might have to deal with another year of sutton and company...blah

Whats your scale?

He is a superbowl winning coach, with a TON of wins, teams that played VERY tough and above their talent level...

Hey if you think the JETS can find someone else like that... doubt it though...

If he isnt "great" then what is?

NO!!! This is as close as we`ve gotten to getting back to the SB in the last 10 Years ,half the people crying to bring in Chower are probably the same ones who cried to get Mangini here, so I say Win keep winning and don`t worry about next season till this one is actually over

No way has this been the closet we've been to the Super Bowl since 1998, no way. As of right now, 2002 was looking more promising.

He's not passive defensively.

Dick LeBeau gets credit for that.

He was the biggest playoff choker this side of Martyball. ;)

Ding ding ding.

Cowher is a terrific motivator whose players will run through walls for him. His guys are disciplined, tough, and prepared. They play hard, they hit hard, they don't commit turnovers and they don't beat themselves.

That said...if you don't want a predictable, uninspired gameplan, I don't know why you would come within 100 miles of Bill Cowher. You think we have problems beating the Pats? They absolutely owned the Steelers during the Cowher years. Cowher practically wears his Schottenheimer roots on his sleeve; he's the Crown Prince of Martyball and one of the worst big-game coaches I've ever seen.

No doubt he deserves a lot of credit for that terrific 2006 postseason, but you could just as easily argue that he lucked into the most pro-ready QB the NFL has ever seen or that Ken Whisenhunt (who was finally permitted to take the gloves off and turn Ben loose) or Dick LeBeau (probably the best defensive coordinator of all time) were the true architects of that run. Take away those 4 playoff wins in 2006 and his career postseason record is 8-9, including four AFC championship game losses at home.

Cowher is a great guy and a hell of a football coach, and I'd be proud to root for him on the Jets' sideline. It's just ironic to me that when we're decrying the Jets' conservatism and predictability, our solution is Bill Cowher.

I would be interested to hear more from StillerPaul on this though. I'm sure Cowher is remembered fondly by the Black and Gold faithful, but what did people think of him before 2006? I went to college in Western PA and my sense was that Steeler fans loved Cowher, but didn't have much faith in his ability in big games.

How dare we even complain about playoff loses? Are you kidding me people? I would just like to be in the playoffs almost every season, like Bill Cowher did in Pittsburgh. What was it? 10 or 11 of 15 years he was in the Postseason? 2 Super Bowls? 4 or 5 Conference Championship Games? As a Jets fan, I'll take that. We're lucky to make the postseason two years in a ****ing row.

You people who are anti-Cowher or anti-Martyball have got to be kidding me. You act like we're some storied franchise who makes the playoffs every season, like these guys did. No. We are a franchise that from 1970 until the late 90's were lucky for one year of the postseason and now we're in a stretch were we go 10-6 and then 4-12 and then 10-6 and then 4-12.

No.

Bill Cowher has become incredibly overrated the last few years. Does everyone forget how long it took him to win a SB?

It's not like this guy has a track record of success at multiple stops either.

There is no guarantee that Cowher will win a single game in his next job, let alone turning a team into a champion.

I think Mangini does deserve more than a little credit for going 8-5 when you take into consideration all the new pieces that were added this offseason.

Usually when a team goes out and spends money the way the Jets did it blows up in their faces.

The real reason people are down on Mangini is because of how high the expectations got after the Tennessee win. Suddenly we were a bigtime contender and the best team in the AFC, a title that seemingly changes hands weekly now.

Think about it in these terms people, if you told after the Oakland loss that this team would be 8-5 right now, you'd be thrilled.

No.

Bill Cowher has become incredibly overrated the last few years. Does everyone forget how long it took him to win a SB?

There is no guarantee that Cowher will win a single game in his next job, let alone turning a team into a champion.

I think Mangini does deserve more than a little credit for going 8-5 when you take into consideration all the new pieces that were added this offseason.

Usually when a team goes out and spends money the way the Jets did it blows up in their faces.

The real reason people are down on Mangini is because of how high the expectations got after the Tennessee win. Suddenly we were a bigtime contender and the best team in the AFC, a title that seemingly changes hands weekly now.

Think about it in these terms people, if you told after the Oakland loss that this team would be 8-5 right now, you'd be thrilled.

Are you people nuts? How long it took? Would you have preferred he did it like any other coach and went team to team... back to college... and then a decade later did it?

He is a winning coach who has won a superbowl.... your out of your ****ing mind... you act like the JETS could do better...

No.

No. People are down on Mangini because the defense has SUCKED ASS for the past 3 seasons.

How dare we even complain about playoff loses? Are you kidding me people? I would just like to be in the playoffs almost every season, like Bill Cowher did in Pittsburgh. What was it? 10 or 11 of 15 years he was in the Postseason? 2 Super Bowls? 4 or 5 Conference Championship Games? As a Jets fan, I'll take that. We're lucky to make the postseason two years in a ****ing row.

You people who are anti-Cowher or anti-Martyball have got to be kidding me. You act like we're some storied franchise who makes the playoffs every season, like these guys did. No. We are a franchise that from 1970 until the late 90's were lucky for one year of the postseason and now we're in a stretch were we go 10-6 and then 4-12 and then 10-6 and then 4-12.

Retread coaches have a bad track record. Only one HC has won a Super Bowl with two different teams.

No one is "anti-Cowher." I'm not saying Cowher is a bad coach, I'm saying if you want a Super Bowl, he's not the answer. If getting into the playoffs every year is what you want, why not bring back Herm? Every year he had a healthy starting QB, we were in the postseason.

Are you people nuts? How long it took? Would you have preferred he did it like any other coach and went team to team... back to college... and then a decade later did it?

He is a winning coach who has won a superbowl.... your out of your ****ing mind... you act like the JETS could do better...

They could.

A lot of teams could.

Sorry jack but I ain't now nor have I ever been a fan of retreads.

Take into consideration this FACT.

ONLY ONE COACH HAS EVER WON CHAMPIONSHIPS WITH TWO TEAMS.

One, out of how many guys that have had multiple jobs? About 1000.

Sorry, but I don't like them odds.

Thoughts?

The possibility of having an aggressive defense is definitely intriguing.

Interesting, but then what about Favre??? He HAS TO CLOSE TO DONE, what if he retires, then you would rather have Clemens than Pennington?? That makes that looks VERY STUPID their final legacy! lol

I HATE this CS , but our argument for getting Favre was JUST that, Chad isn't good enough to win the superbowl, which he is by the way.

Chad has way more of a chance to win it than Mangini, so the question really is:

would you rather:

Mangini and 39 year old Favre or Cowher and Clemens/Ratliff/low first round QB

NOTE:

I'm leaving out the scenerio that I(and all of us) would LOVE where Favre defies all odds and comes back at 40, but watching him run shows me differently,(the legs are the first to go) and watching his decision making, He would be older AND having to learn a NEW system.

I want Favre to win despite Mangini, ride off into the sunset and then have Mangini be a superbowl champ coach who gets fired. Then go into the Cowher/Ratliff dynasty. (remember he won with a rookie QB, that's his "thing" lol)and I guarantee our defense will be a defense again, cuz G%D I miss that!!

TRAILOR:

As in all my posts, I only give an opinion and join the discussion. I ALWAYS want to be wrong when speaking negatively and ALWAYS want to be right on positives.

They could.

A lot of teams could.

So was Bill Parcells a bad hire?

They could.

A lot of teams could.

Most great coaches hang it up... thats why...

Only one 2nd round QB has ever won a superbowl... and he is on our team... if a good QB is available in round 2... would you not take him? If you use your "odds" theory then no...

Archived