Email to the Jets coaches

newjakecity

I sent an email using the Jets official website this afternoon. Though this likely will go right into the spam filter (along with emails on how to increase size and verility), here is the email I sent. Hopefully the point was made (though somehow I doubt it):

I hope the last two abysmal losses have taught the defensive staff (particularly Bob Sutton) a lesson. Because its obvious that when we were winning (despite our tendency to make mediocre inexperience quarterbacks look like Joe Montana), no adjustments were made at all.

Its pretty sad when we are at a point where rushing four men to the quarterback can be considered a "blitz". I don't know why you think you can consistently put pressure on the quarterback when you are only rushing three men. Unless two of those three men are Bruce Smith and Reggie White in their primes, chances are the quarterback is going to have time to throw. Frankly, most quarterbacks that have made it to the NFL will be able to find an open receiver if you give them five seconds or more to throw. We've made people like Tyler Thigpen and Shaun Hill look like Joe Montana in his prime.

What's most troubling is that despite this, there doesn't seem to be any plans in the future to alter this way of thinking. Even when this team does blitz, it is so predictable that it is easy for the offensive lines to pick up (one of the staples of a 3-4 is for the pass rush to be unpredictbale of where it comes from). After the bye week in 2006, our defense was like this despite lack of talent. But not once this year (with exceedingly more talent) do we seem like we are capable of putting together any game plan that seems capable of remedying this situation.

I have also heard from the players in post game shows that there were no halftime adjustments. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE. One of the reasons Eric Mangini was hired was because he came from the New England Patriot system (where they are known for their in game adjustments).

There are hardly any Jet fans that have faith in the coaching staff (in particular on defense). It it my opinion that this team has super bowl talent (I'm pretty sure people like Marvin Lewis would kill to have this talent on defense), but it is being wasted by conservative unimaginative gameplans. This all falls on the coaching staff.

I know you probably will blow this email off (thinking that hey we do this for a living, what does he know). But for the sake of your futures, your players, and the millions of fans that live and die with the Jets, if we're going to go down, please don't let us go down without a fight.

One thing Ive personally noticed about the Jets defense is that it is a "stubborn" defense.

What I mean by "stubborn" in this sense is that it doesn't matter what the situation, score, or how effective it has or hasn't been, the Jets refuse to change their defensive schemes during the game.

The OP touched on this briefly about rushing 4 guys every time. Maybe this is because they're worried about a weak secondary? (Revis not withstanding)

One thing Ive personally noticed about the Jets defense is that it is a "stubborn" defense.

What I mean by "stubborn" in this sense is that it doesn't matter what the situation, score, or how effective it has or hasn't been, the Jets refuse to change their defensive schemes during the game.

The OP touched on this briefly about rushing 4 guys every time. Maybe this is because they're worried about a weak secondary? (Revis not withstanding)

You're completely right. The only time we've been able to actually stop the passing

game is when we've been able to get to the quarterback. If we rush 4 and they don't

get any pressure at all then teams throw all over us. I don't know how many 300 & 400 yard games we've given teams....I don't even really want to know lol

I think this stems from the fact that our HC is a complete stubborn bastard.

I agree with you that they are stubborn. But they are also illogical. They cannot cover, so they give the QB more time?

...but they don't rush 4 guys every time. Just go to NFL.com and watch the high(low)lights. They probably rushed 5 at least as often as they did 4 and this is on plays where they were burned. They rushed 3 twice and one was Bowens interception. The other was a screen where more rush would have been futile.

I am not saying they were well coached or innovative, but they were sending guys. They sent guys from the secondary (not just Rhodes from deep) in fact Lowery missed a sack that should have been a strip. They don't get in, whether teams know what to expect or the players just suck, but they are bringing blitzes.

...but they don't rush 4 guys every time. Just go to NFL.com and watch the high(low)lights. They probably rushed 5 at least as often as they did 4 and this is on plays where they were burned. They rushed 3 twice and one was Bowens interception. The other was a screen where more rush would have been futile.

I am not saying they were well coached or innovative, but they were sending guys. They sent guys from the secondary (not just Rhodes from deep) in fact Lowery missed a sack that should have been a strip. They don't get in, whether teams know what to expect or the players just suck, but they are bringing blitzes.

Gee..someone actually watching the game..Your right..they are being

agressive on defense,,players have to make plays..period.

I agree with you that the number of players being sent in to rush the QB is not the issue. Someone posted the passing breakdown and results from the 49ers game based on the number of rushers we sent, and a significant portion of the time, we sent 5 players.

The issue is our scheme. They all seem to be straight ahead rushes with no disguises. Where are the stunts? Where are the delays? Where are the overlaps? What happened to our "no formation" defense where all the players are standing up and moving around before the snap? The bottom line is that it doesn't matter whether we send 3 or 6, the offense knows exactly who is coming and has no problem picking them up.

Archived