Revis steps up, calls out coaches

Matt39

He's right. Sitting back and bringing 3 or 4 people is not the way to execute the 34 defense to success. Also when we do blitz, they're always the same. The safety and cornerback blitzes are pretty much gone, we're lucky if we see one of those once a month. Its ridiculous. The offense is too aggressive and the defense is too conservative and it should be the other way around.

revis had a pretty terrible missed tackle on a td last week, maybe he should call out himself

He got juked... it happens... he is GREAT in coverage... lost to a juke in the open field on a zone coverage...

Your just being picky now...

I dont think its good that our players are calling out the CS at all.

This isnt the first comment like this, first Pace, Bowens, Leon, Keller, Rhodes, Coles, Revis.

I dont know how any of you can be happy that Revis is now just a long line of players that have come out and said they are not happy with coaching.

revis had a pretty terrible missed tackle on a td last week, maybe he should call out himself

Hey, if Mangini was 1/2 as good at his job as Revis is at his, we'd be 11-2 right now..

I'm beginning to figure you out I think. I used to admire the way you stood your ground on unpopular issues (DSlob, being a liberal on JI pol board) but now I think you just like to argue ;)

This isnt the first comment like this, first Pace, Bowens, Leon, Keller, Rhodes, Coles, Revis.

I dont know how any of you can be happy that Revis is now just a long line of players that have come out and said they are not happy with coaching.

I hope they call out his dumb ass. Mangini doesnt have a clue.

Hey, if Mangini was 1/2 as good at his job as Revis is at his, we'd be 11-2 right now..

I'm beginning to figure you out I think. I used to admire the way you stood your ground on unpopular issues (DSlob, being a liberal on JI pol board) but now I think you just like to argue ;)

There are a ton of people like that, who will always take the unpopular side and just argue it. They don't really care if the position is logical or they've made a good or correct argument, they just like the attention. Jason Whitlock has made a career out of it. He's an idiot, but he even won an award for doing it. Probably because all the other journalists are not much better either.

I agree with this.

I think the notion is that (1) the players griping validates what fans (and now the media) are saying (2) this provides a greater opportunity for Mangini to finally listen and change his ways.

Others have been more elaborate in their criticism of you because of this statement, but I am specifically questioning how you equate Revis' bad missed tackle with Mangini's series of bad decision.

How does that work?

Bad plays by Revis? 1

Bad decisions by Mangini? 23

How does that equal out for you, Bit?

Revis makes 1 measly mistake and he loses the right to criticize the HC who has made a bunch of mistakes? What player is perfect? We're not asking Mangini to be perfect. We only want him to be good, which he hasn't been.

Mangini is getting heat now because the Jets have lost, but he has made horrendous decisions in games the Jets have won.

Remember accepting the penalty on 4th & 10 against the Bills which if declined would have forced a 47 yard FG? Mangini decides to take the penalty and the Bills convert the 3rd & 20. Elam saved Mangini with the pick 6.

The bottom line is that what has transpired demonstrates something fundamentally wrong with Mangini's judgment.

yeh when DBs miss tackles that lead to td's that's nit picking.

I've seen only one other Jets fan online reach so hard to criticize Revis. The guy screwed up. So, fella, how many total scores has Revis given up all season? He has screwed up the least of any player on this team.

Okay, first of all the fact that you are criticising Revis is laughable considering the guys shows up every week and performs. And secondly which TD play did he miss the tackle on?

Was it the fumble recovery where he was on the other side of the field?

The Frank Gore swing pass where he was on the other side of the field?

Or was it the TD to Johnson where again Revis was on the other side of the field?

Stop making stuff up.

Exactly! Calling out the coaching staff publically is never a good thing. That's what team meetings are for, positional meetings, etc. What it tells me is that the HC is losing control of his team and losing their respect. Could be warranted - but it's never a good thing for the media to get a hold of it. Shoot, if the players can't handle the heat of SB talk - how are they going to handle a media sh*t storm of "the players don't respect their coach" talk?

Exactly! Calling out the coaching staff publically is never a good thing. That's what team meetings are for, positional meetings, etc. What it tells me is that the HC is losing control of his team and losing their respect. Could be warranted - but it's never a good thing for the media to get a hold of it. Shoot, if the players can't handle the heat of SB talk - how are they going to handle a media sh*t storm of "the players don't respect their coach" talk?

As I stated earlier, I agree with JiF's point in principal.

You also may be on to something in concluding that Mangini may be losing control of the team and losing their respect.

The problem is, Mangini's control on the team and their respect were always tenuous. Mangini had to prove his method was successful and after 3 years, he's failed to prove it to them. Hence, the public griping.

Leadership and loyalty runs two ways. We can't criticize subordinates for being disloyal if there is a failure of leadership. Thus far, Mangini has failed as a leader. The only natural consequence of that is the growing list of players questioning their coaches.

I agree with this.

I think the notion is that (1) the players griping validates what fans (and now the media) are saying (2) this provides a greater opportunity for Mangini to finally listen and change his ways.

I understand that, my point is more some around the character...lol...of the players.

I dont want players that are going to start calling out the CS at the first sign of adversity. Especially when they technically still control their own destiny with 3 games left in the season.

Agreed. Good post. I would just hope the players showed a little more tact and like you said, kept it behind closed doors. For similar reason that I stated above.

You also may be on to something in concluding that Mangini may be losing control of the team and losing their respect.

The problem is, Mangini's control on the team and their respect were always tenuous. Mangini had to prove his method was successful and after 3 years, he's failed to prove it to them. Hence, the public griping.

Leadership and loyalty runs two ways. We can't criticize subordinates for being disloyal if there is a failure of leadership. Thus far, Mangini has failed as a leader. The only natural consequence of that is the growing list of players questioning their coaches.

First, I beleive winning the division will kill a lot of the ills, you know? However, say the worst happens and Miami wins the division with the QB you all let go - well, that plus a lot of disgruntled players will assure you that Favre will not return, and that there is a good chance Mangini will be gone - and you will be starting all over again. New system, learning curve, etc. Sure, you have some talented players - but gelling will take time, especially if you don't have a clear idea of who your starting QB is going to be.

See, maybe its just me, but that where I disagree. Speaking from experience (and not trying to be full of myself) but I have been is situations where leadership was terrible and subordinates were pissed. And I stepped up as a leader to help the team get through a bad situation. I have seen this done before.

My point is, I would just wish that someone in that locker would smack one of these motherf'ers in the mouth and tell him shut the F up! Lets win despite our coach because we are winners, leaders and talented enough to make it happen.

That's what I am concerned about. With all this Veteran leadership, why isnt someone stepping up and nipping this in the butt and taking upon themselves to right the ship?

I understand that, my point is more some around the character...lol...of the players.

I dont want players that are going to start calling out the CS at the first sign of adversity. Especially when they technically still control their own destiny with 3 games left in the season.

Agreed. Good post. I would just hope the players showed a little more tact and like you said, kept it behind closed doors. For similar reason that I stated above.

Again, I agree overall. Objectively, I would prefer that the players keep it in house and not start pointing fingers at the CS at the first sign of adversity.

But, subjectively, this is an indictment of Mangini more than the players. He hasn't given them any reason for them to instill faith in him. He has failed them as a HC.

Is it expected of them to continue to be automotons and follow what Mangini says although they know it will lead them off a cliff?

In a nutshell, Mangini has failed the team, the team hasn't failed on him. He was supposed (his own claim) to put the players in the best situation to be successful and he has failed to do so more often that he has succeeded and in other situations the players have overcome his failures.

Again, I agree overall. Objectively, I would prefer that the players keep it in house and not start pointing fingers at the CS at the first sign of adversity.

But, subjectively, this is an indictment of Mangini more than the players. He hasn't given them any reason for them to instill faith in him. He has failed them as a HC.

Is it expected of them to continue to be automotons and follow what Mangini says although they know it will lead them off a cliff?

In a nutshell, Mangini has failed the team, the team hasn't failed on him. He was supposed (his own claim) to put the players in the best situation to be successful and he has failed to do so more often that he has succeeded and in other situations the players have overcome his failures.

I agree with this...no doubt.

If you see my post above, I just wish there was someone stepping up and taking charge of the situation.

See, maybe its just me, but that where I disagree. Speaking from experience (and not trying to be full of myself) but I have been is situations where leadership was terrible and subordinates were pissed. And I stepped up as a leader to help the team get through a bad situation. I have seen this done before.

My point is, I would just wish that someone in that locker would smack one of these motherf'ers in the mouth and tell him shut the F up! Lets win despite our coach because we are winners, leaders and talented enough to make it happen.

That's what I am concerned about. With all this Veteran leadership, why isnt someone stepping up and nipping this in the butt and taking upon themselves to right the ship?

The point where I disagree with you on this is that football is different than any other sport. It is the hardest game to overcome coaching because coaching plays its biggest roll.

I remember Kevin Millar telling his teammates before Game 6 against the Yankees in the 2004 ALCS: "Let's win this early before Tito [Terry Francona] can mess this up."

What can the Jets players do if they're given a horrible game plan or Mangini makes a bad decision. Mangini punted from the Niners 38 yardline at 4th & 2. Was Favre supposed to tell the offense to stay on the field and run his own play? Was the punter suppose to run a fake on his own?

When Sutton and Mangini had no clue how to stop the Niners "bunch" formation, was Rhodes supposed to start calling his own defensive plays?

The Leader you speak about in the football context can only get players in line, but he'll merely be a yes-man to the coaches because he has no independent means to do things differently than what the coaches want.

Am I clear on the difference?

In a nutshell, no leader in the Jets lockerroom can make Mangini devise better gameplans, call better plays, or make good decisions on game day.

I agree with this...no doubt.

If you see my post above, I just wish there was someone stepping up and taking charge of the situation.

Again, it would be good if someone in the lockerroom would take charge.

The problem I'm pointing out is that it would not make a difference at all if someone did step up as a leader because that leader is powerless to change the gameplans Mangini comes up with, the plays called, and the game decisions made by Mangini.

Archived