Where's the Jets player that will scream at his teamamtes?

Fishooked

Oh jesus.

The last thing an adult male who is making 7 figures needs or wants is someone screaming at them. Will you guys get over this. This is the absolute LAST thing this team needs. What it does need is better play in the secondary and a game breaker at WR. we have neither. All the yelling in the world is not going to change that.

So the poor secondary and lack of game breaking wide receiver explain how we beat TN and NE on the road and then lost to Denver and SF? It explains how we continually play up or down to the level competition? How listless we looked the last 2 weeks?

I don't think so.

One reason why Baltimore's defense is always good is that Ray Lewis is the emotional leader out there. He's fired up and keeps his teammates fired up and into the game..

I thought you played professional sports? If you had, you'd know that these guys aren't robots and suffer from motivational problems no different then a low level office employee. I make twice as much now then I did when I was 25, but I'm nowhere's near as motivated or high performing ~ it's not all about money..

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the poor secondary and lack of game breaking wide receiver explain how we beat TN and NE on the road and then lost to Denver and SF? It explains how we continually play up or down to the level competition? How listless we looked the last 2 weeks?

I don't think so.

One reason why Baltimore's defense is always good is that Ray Lewis is the emotional leader out there. He's fired up and keeps his teammates fired up and into the game..

I thought you played professional sports? If you had, you'd know that these guys aren't robots and suffer from motivational problems no different then a low level office employee. I make twice as much now then I did when I was 25, but I'm nowhere's near as motivated or high performing ~ it's not all about money..

BULL.

The reason why Baltimore's D is always good is because they spend 70% of their cap there and have studs all over the place. Ray Lewis screaming and yelling doesn't have squat to do with it. Ray Lewis being a stud of a player has a lot to do with it.

The NE game kind of hid a lot of problems. Our secondary sucked there too, but so did their defense, so we scored more. TEN matches up perfectly for us. They run run run, and we can stop that. Denver then exposed us, as they couldn't have been a worse matchup for us. They can't run, or so we thought, so we played a 6 man front.. so they ran. SF.. No passrush allowed Martz to have his deep routes and crossing routes go, and it exposed us.

No yelling and screaming, or lack thereof caused this.

BULL.

The reason why Baltimore's D is always good is because they spend 70% of their cap there and have studs all over the place. Ray Lewis screaming and yelling doesn't have squat to do with it. Ray Lewis being a stud of a player has a lot to do with it.

The NE game kind of hid a lot of problems. Our secondary sucked there too, but so did their defense, so we scored more. TEN matches up perfectly for us. They run run run, and we can stop that. Denver then exposed us, as they couldn't have been a worse matchup for us. They can't run, or so we thought, so we played a 6 man front.. so they ran. SF.. No passrush allowed Martz to have his deep routes and crossing routes go, and it exposed us.

No yelling and screaming, or lack thereof caused this.

So you're suggesting that motivation and emotion has nothing to with performance, it's all scheme and talent?

So you're suggesting that motivation and emotion has nothing to with performance, it's all scheme and talent?

I'm suggesting screaming and yelling do almost nothing for motivation.

Emotion matters, but screaming and yelling does not equate to emotion. You can scream and yell without having emotion, and you can have emotion without screaming and yelling.

I'm suggesting screaming and yelling do almost nothing for motivation.

Emotion matters, but screaming and yelling does not equate to emotion. You can scream and yell without having emotion, and you can have emotion without screaming and yelling.

Really?

What about laughter? If you watched a comedy with a group of people with no sense of humor who didn't laugh at all versus a group of people who cackled like hyenas over every joke, do you think you'd come away with a different opinion of the movie?

Really?

What about laughter? If you watched a comedy with a group of people with no sense of humor who didn't laugh at all versus a group of people who cackled like hyenas over every joke, do you think you'd come away with a different opinion of the movie?

SO we're comparing play on the field to laughter at a movie now?

CTM point is that motivation leads to players focusing better. Football is a lot about focus and sometimes like the rest of they lose focus and direction. That is one big reason for leaders on a team to get in the face either a young player that needs or even a veteran player needs a kick in the butt. The question is who are the Jets leaders. Mangini since he took the Jets job has been preaching for leaders. Now is the time they better stand up.

CTM point is that motivation leads to players focusing better. Football is a lot about focus and sometimes like the rest of they lose focus and direction. That is one big reason for leaders on a team to get in the face either a young player that needs or even a veteran player needs a kick in the butt. The question is who are the Jets leaders. Mangini since he took the Jets job has been preaching for leaders. Now is the time they better stand up.

Exactly.

And let's not kid ourselves, there's players on every team that want to win that Super Bowl, reach the highest pinnacle there is. And then there's those guys that are just happy to collect their game checks. Right now I can't see anyone on this roster wanting to be the former.

Exactly.

And let's not kid ourselves, there's players on every team that want to win that Super Bowl, reach the highest pinnacle there is. And then there's those guys that are just happy to collect their game checks. Right now I can't see anyone on this roster wanting to be the former.

Yes it is the job of the coach to weed those out who are in it for just the ride

I've seen Jenkins get mad and yell @ a few guys this year.

+1

I agree that our team needs more fire out on the field, but Jenkins has "called out" a teammate a few times this season. One case stands out in my head: Lowery dropped an easy interception against the Bills in the 4th quarter and Jenkins was visibly upset and yelled at him. Next play, Jenkins shot up the gap, completely manhandled his blocker, and sacked Edwards for a nice loss.

Ohh..Thats it..thats the problem..Scream at guys on the sideline during the game when millions of people are watching including the players kids..i'm sure that won't turn the players off..That stuff is done in meetings during practice not in front of a TV audience.

Ohh..Thats it..thats the problem..Scream at guys on the sideline during the game when millions of people are watching including the players kids..i'm sure that won't turn the players off..That stuff is done in meetings during practice not in front of a TV audience.

No it is also done in the huddle and on the sidelines. That is why coach's look for leaders on the field who could put players in their place

No it is also done in the huddle and on the sidelines. That is why coach's look for leaders on the field who could put players in their place

Have one of your co-workers scream at you infront the rest of your co-workers..oh also lets broadcast it across the country and than show it every ten minutes on ESPN..i'm sure that would work..Do that to me and I'll crack you in the jaw..If you want chew me out..do it in private..i'm good with that.

Have one of your co-workers scream at you infront the rest of your co-workers..oh also lets broadcast it across the country and than show it every ten minutes on ESPN..i'm sure that would work..Do that to me and I'll crack you in the jaw..If you want chew me out..do it in private..i'm good with that.

It is a little different when you play football then sit in a office. It happens all the time where certain players in the huddle will get the attention of players who lack focus or one player in a secondary will make sure a less experienced player is in position and doing his assignment.

+1

I agree that our team needs more fire out on the field, but Jenkins has "called out" a teammate a few times this season. One case stands out in my head: Lowery dropped an easy interception against the Bills in the 4th quarter and Jenkins was visibly upset and yelled at him. Next play, Jenkins shot up the gap, completely manhandled his blocker, and sacked Edwards for a nice loss.

You motivate yourself. Look at your story. Did Jenkins motivate Lowery? Doesn't sound like it. Sounds like he humiliated Lowery. He motivated himself.

It is a little different when you play football then sit in a office. It happens all the time where certain players in the huddle will get the attention of players who lack focus or one player in a secondary will make sure a less experienced player is in position and doing his assignment.

So screaming like a ****ing moron is going to cause a DB to be in the right position? If guys like Brett Favre, Faneca, Ty Law and Jenkins don't "get the attention" of the other players without "screaming at his teammates" then their teammates are a bunch of jerkoffs. What you want is accountability. You are asking for some kind of tangible vision of accountability and that doesn't exist and it certainly isn't simply screaming when something goes wrong. Unless you are actually there on the field and in the lockers you aren't going to see it.

Remember when Reed punched Vilma in the face? There is leadership for you. The D was just fabulous back in 2005.

And how does yelling/screaming provide motivation? Sometimes it provides the exact opposite. I think if the leaders of the team do what you suggest now, it will do more damage than good.

Look... if screaming and yelling worked, everyone would do it starting on day 1. Why wait until troubled times if something is 100% proven towork?

And NOONE knows it happens in the huddle. So, HOW do you know it's not happening now?

Embarassing someone in public does not necessarily provide motivation. The only screaming/yelling we'll see is that kind. The rest is done in a huddle where you can't tell, or Monday-Saturday.

And how does yelling/screaming provide motivation? Sometimes it provides the exact opposite. I think if the leaders of the team do what you suggest now, it will do more damage than good.

Look... if screaming and yelling worked, everyone would do it starting on day 1. Why wait until troubled times if something is 100% proven towork?

It is called tact, a good leader will crack a joke another might yell like Bryon Cox

And NOONE knows it happens in the huddle. So, HOW do you know it's not happening now?

Embarassing someone in public does not necessarily provide motivation. The only screaming/yelling we'll see is that kind. The rest is done in a huddle where you can't tell, or Monday-Saturday.

I am not saying yelling at a player although it does happen, a leader will speak to another player in the huddle or make sure a player is lined up right.

It does for some. That is what the Coach and/or player leaders have to figure out.

Some players respond to being yelled at and/or the fiery rah rah speech. Some obviously will shut that out and tune the 'yeller' out.

In the end, it is not about yelling. It is about respect. Whether the leader is more of a Par$ells type or a Marv Levy/Bill Walsh type, if there is no respect. The spoken words will fall on death ears.

Ray Lewis yells and gets his defensive unit pumped up every time before they touch the field, he's not screaming in an individual's face, he's commanding his unit, he has fire and passion that rubs off onto the other players on defense.

They have a top defensive unit almost every year because of him, he brings lights out mentality.

You motivate yourself. Look at your story. Did Jenkins motivate Lowery? Doesn't sound like it. Sounds like he humiliated Lowery. He motivated himself.

Of course you need to motivate yourself. That's the case with every person in every situation, not just football.

I'm not advocating screaming, but I would like to see some evidence of accountability. Football is a TEAM game, and you are only as strong as your weakest link. Calling out your teammates can definitely be used as an effective tool in raising the level of play in the team as a whole. As long as it's done in a tasteful and practical way, I see no problem with it and would encourage it. Peer pressure can be a very driving factor.

It does for some. That is what the Coach and/or player leaders have to figure out.

Some players respond to being yelled at and/or the fiery rah rah speech. Some obviously will shut that out and tune the 'yeller' out.

In the end, it is not about yelling. It is about respect. Whether the leader is more of a Par$ells type or a Marv Levy/Bill Walsh type, if there is no respect. The spoken words will fall on death ears.

Exactly nice post:cheers:

Agreed.

Of course you need to motivate yourself. That's the case with every person in every situation, not just football.

I'm not advocating screaming, but I would like to see some evidence of accountability. Football is a TEAM game, and you are only as strong as your weakest link. Calling out your teammates can definitely be used as an effective tool in raising the level of play in the team as a whole. As long as it's done in a tasteful and practical way, I see no problem with it and would encourage it. Peer pressure can be a very driving factor.

The thread title is "Where's the Jets player that will scream at his teamamtes?"

We are all in favor of accountability. If any of this is done in a tasteful and practical way, do you think you would see any evidence? Are they supposed to alert the press?

As for Ray Lewis, it's a ton easier to "motivate" Ed Reed than Abram Elam.

The point is simple, that others around you can effect your own emotional state. If Ray lewis, a team leader, plays with intensity and doesn't just go through the motions out there, it tends to rub off on those around him..,

Maybe it's me, but I don't read scream as being solely negative.

Other then the aec4, does anyone else think that bringing emotion to a team is a bad thing?

I don't think it's bad, but it's not necessarily good. I find the idea that emotion is what the team lacks laughable. They weren't emotional when they knocked off the Pats and Titans on the road. Speed in the back 8 on D and at WR is what this team lacks and all the screaming and emotion in the world isn't going to change that. Maybe scheme can hide it. Maybe.

The point is simple, that others around you can effect your own emotional state. If Ray lewis, a team leader, plays with intensity and doesn't just go through the motions out there, it tends to rub off on those around him..,

Exactly.

Maybe it's me, but I don't read scream as being solely negative.

Other then the aec4, does anyone else think that bringing emotion to a team is a bad thing?

Emotion is what this team needs. Like I've said in previous posts, the team plays like their head coach. Mangini is an emotionless person, whether it be in his press conferences or on the sidelines. This team needs emotion, it doesn't need someone running around smacking people on the ass, that's all fun when your winning. At this point in time we need someone to step up and bring fire to this team.

I don't think it's bad, but it's not necessarily good. I find the idea that emotion is what the team lacks laughable. They weren't emotional when they knocked off the Pats and Titans on the road. Speed in the back 8 on D and at WR is what this team lacks and all the screaming and emotion in the world isn't going to change that. Maybe scheme can hide it. Maybe.

Favre tried and continues to try but his problem is that he shows when he isnt feeling good about the game.. he only gets pumped when things are going good...

This team needs emotion, it doesn't need someone running around smacking people on the ass, that's all fun when your winning. At this point in time we need someone to step up and bring fire to this team.

Favre tried and continues to try but his problem is that he shows when he isnt feeling good about the game.. he only gets pumped when things are going good...

Wow we mush share a few brain cells... lol

It's not laughable. Who are we going to add at WR or DB at this point in the season? No one. We can't change the personnel, at this point time we need someone to light a fire under the ass of the players.

Archived