Giants stiff Plaxico $1 million

PFT.com

GIANTS STIFF PLAXICO

Posted by Mike Florio on December 10, 2008, 9:27 p.m.

The contract that Giants receiver Plaxico Burress signed in the hours preceding the regular-season opener on September 4 included a $4.25 million signing bonus.

Like many such deals, the signing bonus was scheduled to be paid out in installments.

As to Burress, a $1 million payment was due to be made on December 10.

And the Giants didn

The $1M is a roster bonus. I doubt that means "active" roster, as any mild, 1-week injury occurring at this time of the season can keep someone off the active roster. Are we to guess that a 1-week injury would void a player's roster bonus?

Most roster bonuses are handed out in the off-season, when there is no active roster. My guess is it only requires being on the "team" roster and the only way to get out of the payment (after the trading deadline) is for the Giants to release Plaxico or for Plaxico to retire.

So barring some language being in there like "not being on the active roster due to team or league suspension or non-football injury" written in there, the Giants owe him $1M.

The $1M is a roster bonus. I doubt that means "active" roster, as any mild, 1-week injury occurring at this time of the season can keep someone off the active roster. Are we to guess that a 1-week injury would void a player's roster bonus?

Most roster bonuses are handed out in the off-season, when there is no active roster. My guess is it only requires being on the "team" roster and the only way to get out of the payment (after the trading deadline) is for the Giants to release Plaxico or for Plaxico to retire.

So barring some language being in there like "not being on the active roster due to team or league suspension or non-football injury" written in there, the Giants owe him $1M.

Agreed... I can't see what position the Giants can take in not paying him, as he is still under contract and thus, a member of the organization.

Yeah

I depends how the contract is worded.

This should get interesting

Burress has already breached the contract by his conduct being detrimental to the team. He had a loaded gun in NYC at an establishment that served alchohol. How else did he get shot in the leg if he didnt have a loaded pistol?

Virtually every NFL team has contract wording that pertains to conduct.

I should have been more clear and said the 53. Leave it to you to be super literal. Roster bonuses can be handed out ANY TIME. The Giants actually pay plexiglass a bonus every week he's on the active roster (and by that, I mean 45) as well.

They had specific language in there protecting themselves. They used it.

When I read your cap related posts I can't help but think that you never played a day of minor league baseball in your life.

Burress has already breached the contract by his conduct being detrimental to the team. He had a loaded gun in NYC at an establishment that served alchohol. How else did he get shot in the leg if he didnt have a loaded pistol?

Virtually every NFL team has contract wording that pertains to conduct.

While you can claim that Burress has breached his contract, the Giants have not yet voided (or attempted to void) his contract yet, so they should still have to abide by its terms - and that includes paying out this $1M bonus.

While you can claim that Burress has breached his contract, the Giants have not yet voided (or attempted to void) his contract yet, so they should still have to abide by its terms - and that includes paying out this $1M bonus.

It seems they have voided their contract. Burress aint getting his 1 Mil.

I should have been more clear and said the 53. Leave it to you to be super literal. Roster bonuses can be handed out ANY TIME. The Giants actually pay plexiglass a bonus every week he's on the active roster (and by that, I mean 45) as well.

By putting him on the non-football injury list, they reserve the right to not pay him the remainder of his game checks for the season. However, I can't see how they can withhold a pro-rated portion of his signing bonus when he is still under that same contract.

It seems they have voided their contract. Burress aint getting his 1 Mil.

What I am saying is that Plaxico Burress is still under contract with the NY Giants. While he may have been suspended and placed on the non-football injury list to avoid paying him the remainder of his game checks, I don't see how this incident absolves them of paying him a pro-rated portion of his signing bonus while he is still under contract.

No one really knows what the specific language is, regarding what "roster" means (in this instance) except for the team, Plaxico, his agent, the NFLPA, and anyone else he or his agent have chosen to show it to. It can be active roster, 53-man roster, or team roster (like if he's on IR but not on the 53-man).

And of course roster bonuses can be handed out any time. That is why I put the word "most" in there. But most roster bonuses (seven-figure ones in particular) are not awarded during the 17-game regular season. Leave it to you to correct my correct statement.

when do i get my cut?

plex cost me a grand in my fantasy league...i'm waiting

You not having a backup for an oft injured high profile WR cost you $1,000.

Just sayin

Cotch was the biggest fantasy dick tease for me this year.

When I read your cap related posts I can't help but think that you never played a day of minor league baseball in your life.

Damn.... beat me to it!!

I was going to use a special Olympics joke instead this time but didn't want to insult those athletes by including AEC in it...

I think Sperm's posts have too much zip. But I know you think otherwise, so let's just agree to disagree.

:rl:

What I am saying is that Plaxico Burress is still under contract with the NY Giants. While he may have been suspended and placed on the non-football injury list to avoid paying him the remainder of his game checks, I don't see how this incident absolves them of paying him a pro-rated portion of his signing bonus while he is still under contract.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2008/12/giants-burress-set-for-1-milli.html

Parts of the contract say the Giants can take SB money back and other parts say the opposite.

At the very least the Giants get to jerk Burress around like he has to the team all season.

Archived