Patriots closing in on record for fewest penalties

Regarding that specific Moss play: Touching another player on the back is completely legal, as long as you aren't holding them or impeding them. Moss did neither. When the ball came in, his arm went UP, he didn't push.

The CB got flagged I imagine because he is just slower than moss and it looked like he was preventing Moss from running past him just by getting in the way. Personally I don't think you should penalize a DB just because he is slower than the guy trying to run through him, but that is a pretty common call league wide, especially on teams that try to play a lot of man coverage.

It is common because it is the rule. DB cannot hinder the receivers ability to get to the ball to include slowing down in front of receiver.

I think you are the one having a difficult time grasping reality. The truth is the refs favor the Pats and that's all there is to it. This is proof.

Proof of what? You and every other Pats hater who watches a Pats game and then bitches and moans about holding?

I suggest you watch, with an open mind, a 49ers/Rams (or any game not involving the Pats or an AFCE team) game and keep an eye on the O-lineman. You will see plenty of holding.

Those Seahawks get all the calls :rolleyes:

Proof of what? You and every other Pats hater who watches a Pats game and then bitches and moans about holding?

I suggest you watch, with an open mind, a 49ers/Rams (or any game not involving the Pats or an AFCE team) game and keep an eye on the O-lineman. You will see plenty of holding.

Those Seahawks get all the calls :rolleyes:

It's been happening for a while now, dude. I've witnessed it plenty of times, I've seen the Pats play plenty of times. Hell, I was in the park when Randy Moss abused our defender and the DEFENDER got flagged.

In that same game, Matt Light's philosiphy was, "They can't call holding 50 times." It's a pretty good idea, no ref is going to throw a flag on every play and that's what he did to Joey Porter all game.

Do you really think the most over rated left tackle in football could handle one of the best pass rushers in the NFL?

Here ya' go. Go to 1:40 in this video. You've got to be kidding me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN5vArVxwvs&feature=related

When they showed this on the jumbotron in super slow mo about 5 times, the refs had to just feel silly. It kept replaying just showing how terrible these refs messed up.

What's even better is listening to Dierdorf trying to justify the call. That play swung that game too. Ugh, I'm getting pissed off just talking about it.

'

I don't hate you because you are a Dolphin fan. I hate you because you brought Dan Dierdorf into my home on this Thursday evening.

Regarding that specific Moss play: Touching another player on the back is completely legal, as long as you aren't holding them or impeding them. Moss did neither. When the ball came in, his arm went UP, he didn't push.

The CB got flagged I imagine because he is just slower than moss and it looked like he was preventing Moss from running past him just by getting in the way. Personally I don't think you should penalize a DB just because he is slower than the guy trying to run through him, but that is a pretty common call league wide, especially on teams that try to play a lot of man coverage.

It is common because it is the rule. DB cannot hinder the receivers ability to get to the ball to include slowing down in front of receiver.

What does speed have to do with this play? Moss initiated the contact, slammed the guy in the neck and appeared to control him around the shoulder pads. The DB was looking back and lining up the pass and Moss was not trying to run through the guy because the pass was thrown short of the DB. No call? Sure. PI on the CB? No way.

'

I don't hate you because you are a Dolphin fan. I hate you because you brought Dan Dierdorf into my home on this Thursday evening.

Let me pull up a video of a Bears game and see the non calls :rolleyes:

Aqua calls foul on every Pats possession but conveniently forgets about his own team holding Wilfork, Seymour and company every time Chadwick and co had the ball.

I will say that it must suck being a 21 year old Dolphins fan in 2008. Especially a Dolphins fan who lives in the Pacific Northwest.

I think you are the one having a difficult time grasping reality. The truth is the refs favor the Pats and that's all there is to it. This is proof.

Like Hell.

Calls go both ways and NE has had its fair share of bad calls/non calls against them. Whining about the Refs is just an excuse.

What does speed have to do with this play? Moss initiated the contact, slammed the guy in the neck and appeared to control him around the shoulder pads. The DB was looking back and lining up the pass and Moss was not trying to run through the guy because the pass was thrown short of the DB. No call? Sure. PI on the CB? No way.

Moss had his arm on the guys back, correct. But that is not against the rules. There is no "no touching" rule. The rule has to do with whether or not you actually interfere.

As for speed, imagine a more blatant example: Assume the CB stopped dead in his tracks, and Moss ran into him. Is that not a penalty? Slowing down is the same principle, just not to the same extreme.

Now this becomes a problem (as I noted in my initial post) when you have a CB who just happens to be slower than the WR. The CB is trying to run to the ball's spot as he is allowed to, but because he is slower he ends up impeding the WR. PFSIKH notes that is a penalty.

Here is the applicable rule. I have bolded key parts:

Pass Interference

1. There shall be no interference with a forward pass thrown from behind the line. The restriction for the passing team starts with the snap. The restriction on the defensive team starts when the ball leaves the passer

Let me pull up a video of a Bears game and see the non calls :rolleyes:

Aqua calls foul on every Pats possession but conveniently forgets about his own team holding Wilfork, Seymour and company every time Chadwick and co had the ball.

I will say that it must suck being a 21 year old Dolphins fan in 2008. Especially a Dolphins fan who lives in the Pacific Northwest.

What does my hatred of Dan Dierdorf have to do with calls during a Bears game?

Moss had his arm on the guys back, correct. But that is not against the rules. There is no "no touching" rule. The rule has to do with whether or not you actually interfere.

As for speed, imagine a more blatant example: Assume the CB stopped dead in his tracks, and Moss ran into him. Is that not a penalty? Slowing down is the same principle, just not to the same extreme.

Now this becomes a problem (as I noted in my initial post) when you have a CB who just happens to be slower than the WR. The CB is trying to run to the ball's spot as he is allowed to, but because he is slower he ends up impeding the WR. PFSIKH notes that is a penalty.

Here is the applicable rule. I have bolded key parts:

Note the first bolded rule about cutting off the receiver. Since at that point the CB wasn't actually making a play on the ball, it was deemed interference to be slower and in the way. (Though when it is intentional, again I'm not sure if that is what the rule SHOULD be, but that is how it is often interpreted).

Note that under offensive pass interference, you actually have to push or shove. Laying an arm across someone's back is neither.

I don't dispute your reading of the rule. I dispute your applying it in this case. The DB was in line to catch the ball. Therefore he did not impede the ability of Moss to get to the ball by "slowing him down". Moss hit the guy in the back-he may or may not have pushed him or turned his pads, but the DB did nothing but line the ball up and then flop out of the way - possible because Moss pushed off. I repeat that it may have warranted a no-call but IMO it was in no way PI on the 'fin. If the ball were thrown further into the endzone I might agree with you, but in this case they were both waiting on the pass so the DB's speed is/was irrelevant.

Archived