Another UCF player collapses...(UCF football drama)

Jets Babe

I don't know if you guys heard about Ereck Plancher, more about that here: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-bk-ucf031808,0,2076167.story

Now THIS happened a couple of days ago... http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3753343

WHAT THE HELL!!

This year has been terrible for my UCF Knights, and pretty much the whole school is calling for George O'Leary to be fired. Never loved the guy as a coach, but I stuck up from him when Plancher died. This is more than just a coincidence.

20 minutes ago a press conference was held, and now the university president said O'Leary will STILL be the coach next year.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_ucf/2008/12/hitt-oleary-wil.html

COME ON. The NCAA needs to step in..

wow, i cant imagine this helps recruiting at UCF lol. o`leary is a horrible coach anyway, what has he done? he has no bowl wins, plays in a talent rich state ( hes had better ranked recruiting classes than USF), and is in the C-USA.

surprisingly, our recruiting class this year has so far been so good. but i agree with what you're saying. rumor has it that UCF is going to enter the big east within 2 years...but i just can't see that happening with o'leary as the coach. the whole school hates him now.

UCF will likley be included into the BE the next time they expand it. there are only 8 teams in the BE now i believe. ECU and Memphis are schools that will be considered too. i would like to see ND in the BE but there is no chance of that happening.

i think UCF would be a good choice for the BE because...

A. it's a bcs conf.

B. we're in a competitive state

C. we're rivals with USF

D. it would greatly help recruiting

Memphis is a better addition for the Big East, because they have a strong basketball program. Although, I kind of feel bad having the BE raid the hell out of CUSA like that.

Oh well.

UCF would be a football addition which would help the Big East improve in that area, but potentially weaken the conference in basketball.

Maybe as a football-only member though. I don't think the BE has had a football-only member since they kicked Temple out of the party.

Memphis is a better addition for the Big East, because they have a strong basketball program. Although, I kind of feel bad having the BE raid the hell out of CUSA like that.

Oh well.

UCF would be a football addition which would help the Big East improve in that area, but potentially weaken the conference in basketball.

Maybe as a football-only member though. I don't think the BE has had a football-only member since they kicked Temple out of the party.

UCF has a semi-decent bball program. memphis is a great basketball school but a horrible football team.

Those are reasons why the BE would be good for UCF, not why UCF is good for the BE.

alright, fine. UCF is good for the BE because...

1. of the USF rivalry.

2. they're in florida, which is a competitive state. would add a 2nd "florida school" to the conference to balance out the south division.

3. UCF is the 6th largest university in the nation...lots of football and basketball potential to get better.

4. nationally ranked soccer, golf, and baseball programs. solid football program that was great last year. solid basketball program that had a ncaa tourney berth a little while back.

5. one of the fastest growing universities in the nation.

6. great athletic facilities.

I read the links and it seems kind of odd. This kid was dehydrated from lifting? When I was coming up the coach wouldn't let you drink because stopping for water was for *****-ing out. Even during camp in mid-summer. It was ridiculous. Some time around my senior or junior year of high school some poor kid keeled over in the mid-west and we were suddenly given tons of water breaks.

I would have expected dehydration during the conditioning drills-suicides, etc more than lifting. In the Plancher article they mentioned it wasn't directly after lifting as if that would be more likely to collapse from lifting. Is that expected? Am I missing something? Either way, it's a pair of tragedies.

alright, fine. UCF is good for the BE because...

1. of the USF rivalry.

2. they're in florida, which is a competitive state. would add a 2nd "florida school" to the conference to balance out the south division.

3. UCF is the 6th largest university in the nation...lots of football and basketball potential to get better.

4. nationally ranked soccer, golf, and baseball programs. solid football program that was great last year. solid basketball program that had a ncaa tourney berth a little while back.

5. one of the fastest growing universities in the nation.

6. great athletic facilities.

The USF rivalry would MAYBE be good.

Nobody cares about soccer, golf, and baseball. Non-revenue sports are irrelevant.

Memphis is a better fit. That said, they'd likely add at least two schools in basketball, and 4 for football (meaning two football only members, or two BBall schools that join in football as well).

The Big East would LOVE for Notre Dame to join up for Football. That won't happen until they become so bad that they can't get their own TV deal anymore.

The USF rivalry would MAYBE be good.

Nobody cares about soccer, golf, and baseball. Non-revenue sports are irrelevant.

Memphis is a better fit. That said, they'd likely add at least two schools in basketball, and 4 for football (meaning two football only members, or two BBall schools that join in football as well).

The Big East would LOVE for Notre Dame to join up for Football. That won't happen until they become so bad that they can't get their own TV deal anymore.

there really isnt a "rivalry" since UCF has never beaten USF, other than they are geographly close. the football program at most schools fund a majority of the athletic sports. memphis is a lock for the BE in basketball atleast, next time they expand it. i`m not sure the BE would add 4 teams for football, because they would have to break apart the confrence and make a championship game.

They're working on it.

certainly are, they showed they can compete with the worst the BE has to offer in cuse.

there really isnt a "rivalry" since UCF has never beaten USF, other than they are geographly close. the football program at most schools fund a majority of the athletic sports. memphis is a lock for the BE in basketball atleast, next time they expand it. i`m not sure the BE would add 4 teams for football, because they would have to break apart the confrence and make a championship game.

certainly are, they showed they can compete with the worst the BE has to offer in cuse.

it is a rivalry...it's more than just a football rivalry...

Archived