Syracuse coaching search reportedly over

gangreenman

Local ESPN Radio, the Syracuse Post Standard, and several New Orleans-based radio stations are all reporting that Doug Marrone has been offered, and has accepted the new head coaching position at Syracuse University. This just days after an NFLN report said Skip Holtz will likely be named the Syracuse next head football coach. The two sides (Cuse AD Gross and ECU head coach Skip Holtz), had a meeting in NYC on Monday evening, and neither side came away feeling either confident or satisfied. In fact, just yesterday reports in the EC area reported that Holtz altogether turned down a deal from Syracuse that would make him the highest paid coach in school history.

Doug Marrone is a Syracuse grad, who both played with, and was an assistant coach for the Orange. He has since been an offensive assistant on several NFL teams, including the NY Jets and now the New Orleans Saints. A press conference announcing the hire is expected to occur sometime later tonight (Thursday) or during the day tomorrow (Friday), according to these reports.

Local ESPN Radio, the Syracuse Post Standard, and several New Orleans-based radio stations are all reporting that Doug Marrone has been offered, and has accepted the new head coaching position at Syracuse University. This just days after an NFLN report said Skip Holtz will likely be named the Syracuse next head football coach. The two sides (Cuse AD Gross and ECU head coach Skip Holtz), had a meeting in NYC on Monday evening, and neither side came away feeling either confident or satisfied. In fact, just yesterday reports in the EC area reported that Holtz altogether turned down a deal from Syracuse that would make him the highest paid coach in school history.

Doug Marrone is a Syracuse grad, who both played with, and was an assistant coach for the Orange. He has since been an offensive assistant on several NFL teams, including the NY Jets and now the New Orleans Saints. A press conference announcing the hire is expected to occur sometime later tonight (Thursday) or during the day tomorrow (Friday), according to these reports.

oh my..ba bye orange

oh my..ba bye orange

Yeah... Not too thrilled about it either. Honestly though, the other choices still out there were Turner Gill and Steve Addazio. Turner Gill is being highly considered for the Auburn spot, and Addazio is an asst. from Florida with no head coaching or Syracuse background.

Honestly, if this report is true, he can't be any worse than Robinson... So it cant be THAT bad.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what freakin idiots...

They have a program SINKING due to inexpeienced Head coaching recently,,so what do they do???

REPEAT!!!!!!!!

Hire another guy with ZERO head coaching experience... Its a total different job being a HC running a program as opposed to just being a coordinator. Syracuse was in a position that it HAD to get it right and should have hired a HC who has proven himself on a lower level. Now its a crapshoot.

What makes me think this is even crazier is tahts its a alum. Whenever you see a school hire a guy who is perceived as shaky AND he is alum,,drum roll,,DANGER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats basically telling me that he is BEST non HC coordintor in USA available for your team..and that being a alum didnt count..

Hiring alums UNLESS they are PROVEN is a HUGE mistake... (see John Bunting)

Well, the athletic department made the hire official last night...

This is going to be good for Syracuse in the long run. If Marrone works out (which I HIGHLY doubt he will) then great, if he doesn't, Gross would be shooting 0-2, and the administration would have no choice but to boot him and hire somebody that is more than just a PR queen and actually knows how to run a farking sports program.

Well, the athletic department made the hire official last night...

This is going to be good for Syracuse in the long run. If Marrone works out (which I HIGHLY doubt he will) then great, if he doesn't, Gross would be shooting 0-2, and the administration would have no choice but to boot him and hire somebody that is more than just a PR queen and actually knows how to run a farking sports program.

most media is making fun of this pick saying they traded a hot nfl def coordicator with no hc experience for a hot nfl off coordicator with no hc experience

most media is making fun of this pick saying they traded a hot nfl def coordicator with no hc experience for a hot nfl off coordicator with no hc experience

Good. Gross deserves this.

However, I highly doubt Marrone will be AS BAD as G-Rob was. Marrone, having played for SU and having grown up in the northeast, knows and understands the Carrier Dome climate, the SU atmosphere, and the landscape of the Big East. Robinson, after his firing was announced, even admitted that he had "absolutely no clue what I was getting myself into" at Syracuse. Marrone, while he may not be good enough to reverse things too much, at least knows exactly what he's getting himself into.

Hopefully it works out.

Good. Gross deserves this.

However, I highly doubt Marrone will be AS BAD as G-Rob was. Marrone, having played for SU and having grown up in the northeast, knows and understands the Carrier Dome climate, the SU atmosphere, and the landscape of the Big East. Robinson, after his firing was announced, even admitted that he had "absolutely no clue what I was getting myself into" at Syracuse. Marrone, while he may not be good enough to reverse things too much, at least knows exactly what he's getting himself into.

Hopefully it works out.

haha,,keep tellin yourself that ..

I have been there,,

Archived