IMO, Brett Favre is playing hurt.

RoadFan

I was not a fan of Brett Favre until last year. I thought he was finished a few years earlier, but last year he played better, IMO, than he did during his MVP run. And now, he is a member of our beloved New York Jets. It has become clear to me that Brett has an injured right shoulder. We all remember how banged up he got early in the season because the pass protection, and empty backfield formations, got him killed back there. Brett can still throw bullets on the short patterns as evident by the TD pass to Coles vs. Tennessee. However, when he throws the deep ball... it brings down the rain. A Jets fan at Candlestick on Sunday mentioned the unusually large arch on his deep throws. That is not the Favre deep ball that he threw last year in OT against Denver. Of course, Favre being the warrior that he is, seemingly won't admit it as an excuse. That said, I feel honored to watch Brett Favre in a Jets uniform and would love nothing more than to see some of his magic down the stretch.

I think the only thing hurting Favre this year is the fact that the Jets have zero threat to go down the field. This might be the first year of his career without a completion over 60 yards. It has made him throw shorter than he ever has before. Other than that I think he is just old ad the Favre of 2005 and 2006 was more the rule than what happened in 2007 with him.

I was not a fan of Brett Favre until last year. I thought he was finished a few years earlier, but last year he played better, IMO, than he did during his MVP run. And now, he is a member of our beloved New York Jets. It has become clear to me that Brett has an injured right shoulder. We all remember how banged up he got early in the season because the pass protection, and empty backfield formations, got him killed back there. Brett can still throw bullets on the short patterns as evident by the TD pass to Coles vs. Tennessee. However, when he throws the deep ball... it brings down the rain. A Jets fan at Candlestick on Sunday mentioned the unusually large arch on his deep throws. That is not the Favre deep ball that he threw last year in OT against Denver. Of course, Favre being the warrior that he is, seemingly won't admit it as an excuse. That said, I feel honored to watch Brett Favre in a Jets uniform and would love nothing more than to see some of his magic down the stretch.

Maybe he is just old. Ever think about that?

I can not think of anyone who could do a better job as QB than what favre is doing for the Jets right now. Not Peyton, Brady, Eli, or anyone else for that matter. Peyton would never survive as a QB for the Jets as they are right now but Farve would kick ass on the current colts team.

If there is any factor that is affected by his age, it may be his patience level. But, he does believe he can get them to the playoffs and thats good enough for me.

I am ready for some magic too!

It honestly can go either way. He's either hurt or age has caught up to him.

His deep pass to Cotchery in the first game of the season was a thing of beauty. The sad fact is he hasn't been able to make a pass like that since the beginning of the season, and no one outside of himself and a select few knows the true cause. It could be an injury, or it could be wear and tear on an old arm that didn't have a full offseason of conditioning.

I was not a fan of Brett Favre until last year. I thought he was finished a few years earlier, but last year he played better, IMO, than he did during his MVP run. And now, he is a member of our beloved New York Jets. It has become clear to me that Brett has an injured right shoulder.

What would you know about playing? Have you ever played a professional sport before? I doubt it.

Maybe he is just old. Ever think about that?

Yeah, it crossed my mind but as I mentioned before..."That is not the Favre deep ball that he threw last year in OT against Denver". Nor is it even the deep ball he threw against Miami or Arizona THIS YEAR. He might have gotten old but I don't think so. If you're right, it happened virtually overnight. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it crossed my mind but as I mentioned before..."That is not the Favre deep ball that he threw last year in OT against Denver". Nor is it even the deep ball he threw against Miami or Arizona THIS YEAR. He might have gotten old but I don't think so. If you're right, it happened virtually overnight. :rolleyes:

What happened is; the oppossing team knows brett can throw and they are covering our wide recievers, they arent fast enough. The offense cant cover and no one gets open for the long pass. Maybe he is injured, but he is the best thing that has happened to this team in a long time.

whoever it was that mentioned the bengals game (sorry, too lazy to scroll back) may have something. I remember him getting up off the ground with his right arm held tight to his body. A few plays later, Mangold reached for his right hand to help him up again and Brett reached across with his left, again holding his right arm against his ribs, to grab Mangold's hand.

whoever it was that mentioned the bengals game (sorry, too lazy to scroll back) may have something. I remember him getting up off the ground with his right arm held tight to his body. A few plays later, Mangold reached for his right hand to help him up again and Brett reached across with his left, again holding his right arm against his ribs, to grab Mangold's hand.

So are you saying Schotty is gameplanning around Favre rather than in spite of him? It's hard to tell, since I've only seen one game plan the entire time I've watched this CS at work. Really, really short passes, running into 8 man fronts, usually up the gut, deep out that gets picked. Seriously, am I wrong?

So are you saying Schotty is gameplanning around Favre rather than in spite of him? It's hard to tell, since I've only seen one game plan the entire time I've watched this CS at work. Really, really short passes, running into 8 man fronts, usually up the gut, deep out that gets picked. Seriously, am I wrong?

The deep balls that get picked appear to be Favre's doing. He seems like he just heaves it up there and it usually looks predetermined at the snap. I'm not sure, that that's the way it seems to me.

Nope, not totally wrong anyway. I'm not giving Shott a free pass here--he's mediocre at best and atrocious at worst. Just saying I saw some visual evidence to support the original statement in the thread. There's a differeence between deep routes and bombs away. A bomb has a big arc--allows the WR to run under it or gives the DB a long time to interfere. Favre isn't that good at this long "touch" pass. His forte is the deep middle laser, 25-30 yds in stride +yac. not seeing this as much lately.

It honestly can go either way. He's either hurt or age has caught up to him.

His deep pass to Cotchery in the first game of the season was a thing of beauty. The sad fact is he hasn't been able to make a pass like that since the beginning of the season, and no one outside of himself and a select few knows the true cause. It could be an injury, or it could be wear and tear on an old arm that didn't have a full offseason of conditioning.

Id say the most alarming thing with him is how many of these balls are being picked off. He has always been risky throughout his career, but this is the first time where almost every mistake is being caught by the opposition. He used to get by because the ball was so hard to catch for a defender, but they rarely drop a ball he throws to them anymore. There seriously are times he looks like old Testeverde out there. Its been an issue all year so I cant buy the injury excuse. He is either not confident(and he played great against the Pats and Titans so I dont buy that), injured(it would have had to have happenned against Cincy, but he looked screwy before that), or he is just old, which explains up and down games to me.

Archived