Leon Washington: "It's going to be awesome to see the whole entire stadium in green"

from NewYorkJets.com:

Leon a Big Fan of Going Green vs. Buffalo

Published: Fri, December 12, 2008 - 9:45am EDT

By Eric Allen

12/12 — The Jets will celebrate Fan Appreciation Day on Sunday at the Meadowlands and Leon Washington is more than thankful for the support he receives from the Green & White faithful.

“In my opinion, we have the best fans in the National Football League. They’re loyal and they’re faithful,” Leon told me in the locker room this week. “They get loud at games and they’re really passionate about their team. I think it’s going to be awesome to see the whole entire stadium in green.”

Washington, of course, was referring to the “Green Out.” The Jets are asking all fans attending this critical AFC East contest with the Bills to wear green.

A few weeks ago, Washington’s alma mater, Florida State University, sported black jerseys when it hosted Boston College in an Atlantic Coast Conference battle. The Seminoles, who traditionally don garnet and gold, didn’t have the black jerseys when Washington was back in school.

“It will be fun to have that college-type atmosphere where everybody in the stadium wears the same thing,” he said. “It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but I want everybody to come out and support us because nothing makes a player feel better than the fans.”

When the Jets move to their new home in 2010, they’ll see more green than ever and the stadium seats will turn to a neutral grey. But this weekend, the Jets have asked fans to wear just green in order to create a true Greenhouse.

“We all know the stadium is painted red and blue on the exterior, so we’ll try to block that out and make it a Jets Stadium,” Washington said.

The most prolific kickoff returner in franchise history has a tremendous relationship with New Yorkers. He feeds off their encouragement and acknowledges them in the final seconds before returning. They love the underdog and they view the 5'8", 202-pounder, who leads the NFL in combined yardage with 1,881, as an explosive game-changer who can turn a game upside down.

“Whenever I’m going back there, I’m always getting the end zone section hollering my name,” he said. “And I think the last game, the whole entire stadium was chanting 'Leon.' I feed off the fans. The more energized they are, the more energized I am.”

And then there’s that famous chant. The entire stadium goes silent for a second before Fireman Ed, situated on the shoulders of another patron, and a wonderful chorus of almost 80,000 deliver “J-E-T-S! Jets! Jets! Jets!” in joyful unison.

“I don’t think there’s a better chant in the National Football League as far as the whole crowd participating at one time. It’s intimidating for the opponent,” Washington said. “Fireman Ed gets them fired up. He’s kind of like our 12th man. Fireman Ed has to go to the game this weekend and with the Green Out, everyone has to go the game this weekend because we’re going to need it.”

Let's be honest, this isn't going to happen. Not enough people will know about it, period.

The Miami Heat used to hand out White shirts for their white outs... tough in the winter I know but just give out all XXL green JETS shirts that can fit over coats...

I, personally, am going to be wearing a Knicks jacket over my green Nuge jersey.

It's better than not wearing a jacket!

Why not just wear a long sleeve tshirt with a sweatshirt over that and a jersey over that? That should be good enough. :yes:

Originially I was against the Green Out but because the players seem to want it and like the idea, I will wear Green.

I know, I know, everyone was waiting on the edge of their seats to here that breaking news.

Because clearly players would tell everyone that they think it is a stupid f'ing college idea that has next to no impact on the game. Joe do not forget to leave the cookies out for Santa this year

Because clearly players would tell everyone that they think it is a stupid f'ing college idea that has next to no impact on the game. Joe do not forget to leave the cookies out for Santa this year

SANTAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know him!

Edited by 124

That sounds good. I'll see how the jersey fits over all that--I don't wear 3-4 XL after all. \:D/

Hey now. I don't need 3-4x, really I need 2, but I like 'em big. Don't make me feel any fatter than I really am....

or I will eat you tomorrow....

Thanks. :)

greenouts and other colorouts only really look cool at night. how will a greenout look cool at a 1pm game? i hope they do it for a playoff game though.

maybe we should wear our titans jerseys in seattle considering were undefeated in them, and winless on the west. and yes i know we cant but it would be nice

greenouts and other colorouts only really look cool at night. how will a greenout look cool at a 1pm game? i hope they do it for a playoff game though.

maybe we should wear our titans jerseys in seattle considering were undefeated in them, and winless on the west. and yes i know we cant but it would be nice

Can only wear throwback jerseys twice a year.

YES! Let's wear colors at night so nobody can see them! REALLY COOL!!!!

• Upvote 1

At 1 in the afternoon on what is supposed to be a bright sunny day, the green out will look even cooler because you can actually see the sea of green. I dont know wtf you're talking about when you say color-outs only look good at night. Noone can see **** at night.

Im curious to know if they'll be handing out some free green t-shirts or something.

• Upvote 1