Sign in to follow this  
Barton

AJ Burnett, Yankees agree on 5 year deal.

Congrats. Very nice signing if he stays healthy and focused. I think he has a big year.

If they go add Sheets that would be a sick rotation.

I am shocked though to hear Cashman the other day say as of now Hughes is not in their rotation plans.

The much heralded youth movement lasted 1 season I guess SP wise but the pen does have some young arms.

IMO I would have been ok with CC and some bats and went with Hughes and Aceves in the 4-5 SP spots. Probably would have needed another SP signing though do to the innings restrictions the Yanks will likely still place on Hughes and Joba.

So here is the Rotation so far:

1) CC Sabathia

2) CM Wang

3) Joba Chamberlain

4) A.J. Burnett

5) Phil Hughes.

Next the Yankees will look to bump Hughes out of the 5-spot with either Pettitte or Sheets. Either way, Hughes is your hedge against an injury in that rotation. IPK will be around if things get really bad.

Will Joba be on a innings limit?

I don't think it's "anti" youth movement, I think it's let's remain competitive and let's keep these kids. I would really love to see Phil in the 5 spot, last year it really felt like we had a lot thrown on to those kids. Now if we start trading away the youth then I say we've gotten away from that "movement".

Maybe but you have to figure the Yanks will eventually wrap up Wang who will want his money after these signings. Same for Joba. So that gives the Yanks only one spot anytime soon available in the rotation unless CC opts out 3 years from now. That is IMO, a far cry from last years Cashman/Hank talk that Kennedy-Hughes-Joba were in their rotation for the next decade.

I would not be suprised to see Hughes dealt in the right deal and I expect Kennedy, Igawa, Aceves etc are all readily available via trade right now. As with Pelfrey the kids can still all turn it around but is there enough room if they do?

Edited by GimmeShelter

Well we'll see, for now the truth is Joba can STILL be a set-up man for this year which could open up a #5 spot to Hughes. I disagree with the fact that Hughes is a "readily" available commodity, I think we'd have to have a pretty good deal in order to trade him away. Aceves... ehhhh... I'm not so sure. I think this is why ideally we want Andy, Sheets, Lowe, in that order due to the time. I think Burnett will be done in 2-3. But we'll see, I do hope they keep these kids in the farm system.

Right, that's what I said. I hope they don't juggle Joba again this season but you are right in that if he hits a inning limit he can go down to the pen.

With all the pitching added along with the last season trade deadline fleecing of the Pirates for Nady and Marte, if the Yanks add Tex or Manny and still miss the play-offs is Girardi gone?

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company