AJ Burnett, Yankees agree on 5 year deal.

Barton

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Hughes has a physical and mental thing going.

How do you know he has a mental thing and AJ doesn't?

Hughes battled through a dismal April, going 0-4 with a 9.00 ERA in six starts before landing on the disabled list with a fractured rib, costing him three months.

"The last start I made, I was hurting," Hughes said. "The starts before that, I really didn't feel it at all. It would be easy to say I was hurt the whole time, but I'm not the kind of guy to do that. It wasn't the case. I was just struggling."

That doesn't sound like a head case to me.

How do you know he has a mental thing and AJ doesn't?

That doesn't sound like a head case to me.

Who said anything about Hughes being a head case? I said he perhaps he has a mental thing going on. Meaning, he could still be a bit immature to handle the big city lights...

I liked Moose, until last year, when I thought he should go. This past year he stepped up and performed, bravo to him. He actually could pitch against more than one or two teams and be effective.

Then perhaps it's a bit to quick to pass judgement on pitchers. One of the most encouraging things I heard about Burnett is that last year he learned to "pitch". Al Leiter is very close to him and he said the he knows he doesn't have to throw it 98 to get people out. He was known for rearing back and throwin 98 during spring training. It seems with age he's realized he doesn't need to do that anymore. So to me hearing Leiter say that considering he did the same thing with his career is an encouraging thing to me.

Or he could get hurt again and that's that, I guess I'm looking at the upside of the trade.

With all the pitching added along with the last season trade deadline fleecing of the Pirates for Nady and Marte, if the Yanks add Tex or Manny and still miss the play-offs is Girardi gone?

No doubt about it. However, I may be biased here because I'm not a Girardi fan to begin with.

With all the pitching added along with the last season trade deadline fleecing of the Pirates for Nady and Marte, if the Yanks add Tex or Manny and still miss the play-offs is Girardi gone?

Actually, so far the Pirates have made out better with that deal considering that the yankees missed the playoffs last year. Nady has one year left to put the yankees back in the win column with that trade though.

Archived