Saints not extending vilma

BroadwayJoe12

I'm shocked

I wonder if his knee is acting up

Everything i've read on the papers down there say they want him back and are going on good faith that they'll be able to sign him when he becomes a FA instead of give him the same contract and lose the picks. I hope other teams just give a better offer and ****s the saints over. I can't blame them for doing this, but i still hope it bites them in the ass.

Everything i've read on the papers down there say they want him back and are going on good faith that they'll be able to sign him when he becomes a FA instead of give him the same contract and lose the picks. I hope other teams just give a better offer and ****s the saints over. I can't blame them for doing this, but i still hope it bites them in the ass.

I'm with you Joe

it was a a very strange arrangement from the beginning, the saints held all the cards.

Oh well.

So we lose our 4th but have New Orleans' 3rd.

Favre if we reach Super Bowl costs us a 1st

Favre if we reach Postseason costs us a 2nd

If we don't make the playoffs it costs us a 3rd

So we'll have one of three scenarios:

2nd, two 3rds, 5th, 6th & 7th

1st, two 3rds, 5th, 6th & 7th

1st, 2nd, 3rd (New Orleans), 5th, 6th & 7th

Seems like a bit of a loophole, but I hope some other team signs him and they lose out. Not to sound bitter, but they try to weasel out of it and i hope it bites them in the ass.

This really bites it. I know we won't but wouldn't it serve the Saints right if the Jets signed Vilma. :Nuts:

Seems like a bit of a loophole, but I hope some other team signs him and they lose out. Not to sound bitter, but they try to weasel out of it and i hope it bites them in the ass.

Our luck it's the Fish! Then we have to be terrorized by him for 10 more years!

Pretty sure we own Washington's fourth round pick for Kendall. Swapping New Orleans' third round pick for our fourth rounder is still better value than we could have expected this time last year.

Your right, we have the Redskins 4th rounder in 2009 from the Kendall deal.....Don't know the specifics of the D-rob trade but it is possible we could get some late round pick based on his playing time with Denver......If i remember correctly however it was one of those deals where the Bronco's could easily get away without giving up a pick by limiting the amount of time he plays.....

Oh well.

So we lose our 4th but have New Orleans' 3rd.

Favre if we reach Super Bowl costs us a 1st

Favre if we reach Postseason costs us a 2nd

If we don't make the playoffs it costs us a 3rd

So we'll have one of three scenarios:

2nd, two 3rds, 5th, 6th & 7th

1st, two 3rds, 5th, 6th & 7th

1st, 2nd, 3rd (New Orleans), 5th, 6th & 7th

not bad. not bad at all.

Your right, we have the Redskins 4th rounder in 2009 from the Kendall deal.....Don't know the specifics of the D-rob trade but it is possible we could get some late round pick based on his playing time with Denver......If i remember correctly however it was one of those deals where the Bronco's could easily get away without giving up a pick by limiting the amount of time he plays.....

We get NADA for D-Rob.

He's well below his playing time clause, and so, barring a situation where he starts playing every down, and the broncos never get on offense, we get ZIP!

Um. He needs to resign with the Saints for us to get their 3rd round pick. I don't understand how anyone would want Vilma to sign somewhere else so that it bites the Saints in the ass.

I'd rather have a 3rd rounder than nothing.

he needs to be re-signed before the draft for that to kick in. what's interesting here is if the original deal stated extended or re-signed.

I wonder if letting him file for FA effects the deal

From reading Schefter's comments I took it to mean: they do not resign Vilma and we get NO's third rounder and we give NO our fourth rounder and the deal is complete. Is there more to this deal or does Schefter have it wrong?

Um. He needs to resign with the Saints for us to get their 3rd round pick. I don't understand how anyone would want Vilma to sign somewhere else so that it bites the Saints in the ass.

I'd rather have a 3rd rounder than nothing.

Saints won

From reading Schefter's comments I took it to mean: they do not resign Vilma and we get NO's third rounder and we give NO our fourth rounder and the deal is complete. Is there more to this deal or does Schefter have it wrong?

No no no. Schefter has it right, but a lot of his article is vague. Vilma was traded to the Saints for a 2008 4th round pick plus further compensation based upon his playing conditions. His playing condition was defined by his contract extension.

If Vilma is to get an extended contract before he hits free agency we'd get a 2nd round pick.

If Vilman gets an extended contract after he hits free agency we'll get a 3rd round pick.

Either way, we have to repay the 4th round pick from last year. Schefter alludes to this in his article, and bases his assumption that the Saints will resign the leader of their defense... but will do so with intent of keeping as many high picks as possible.

I'm curious about the legalities of "tagging" Vilma. Would placing a franchise tag on a player be considered a one-year contract extension? If not, the Saints could retain his services without him testing the market... all the while, screwing us out of due compensation.

No no no. Schefter has it right, but a lot of his article is vague. Vilma was traded to the Saints for a 2008 4th round pick plus further compensation based upon his playing conditions. His playing condition was defined by his contract extension.

If Vilma is to get an extended contract before he hits free agency we'd get a 2nd round pick.

If Vilman gets an extended contract after he hits free agency we'll get a 3rd round pick.

Either way, we have to repay the 4th round pick from last year. Schefter alludes to this in his article, and bases his assumption that the Saints will resign the leader of their defense... but will do so with intent of keeping as many high picks as possible.

I'm curious about the legalities of "tagging" Vilma. Would placing a franchise tag on a player be considered a one-year contract extension? If not, the Saints could retain his services without him testing the market... all the while, screwing us out of due compensation.

I don't think they'll tag him although that interesting angle...

IMO...They had to have worked out a deal so he hits free agency to minimize the draft pick damage and the Saints will agree to match any reasonable offer. They had to be confident they wouldn't have to give the JETS a second rounder to make the deal for Shockey. If they didn't have a deal in principle in place I just can't see them pulling the trigger on Shockey deal. Or, maybe the simpler answer is they are just dumb and rented a player for a third round pick...time will tell...

I don't think they'll tag him although that interesting angle...

IMO...They had to have worked out a deal so he hits free agency to minimize the draft pick damage and the Saints will agree to match any reasonable offer. They had to be confident they wouldn't have to give the JETS a second rounder to make the deal for Shockey. If they didn't have a deal in principle in place I just can't see them pulling the trigger on Shockey deal. Or, maybe the simpler answer is they are just dumb and rented a player for a third round pick...time will tell...

I think you are right. I think they have an off the record deal in place. it happens all the time. ever wonder why the big FA's sign 2 days after FA begins ? no way those deals are worked out in a few days. the agents have contact with go beweens (imho) to see who is serious and who is just playing footsie, but won't talk to the GM's to give them plausible deniability for tampering reasons

that's what the peter kendall flap was about, an off the record promise that he said the jets broke

if vilma signs with the saints, but the jets lose the higher pick, I wonder if they file a grievance or if they were too dumb to see that coming, and the saints get off

either way, I doubt we'll ever see a conditional pick with a resigning clause attached, it just makes no sense

We get NADA for D-Rob.

He's well below his playing time clause, and so, barring a situation where he starts playing every down, and the broncos never get on offense, we get ZIP!

Yeah, i did not figure on getting much if anything for him.....Like i said i am not familar with the specifics of the deal but knew he would have to play a sigificant amount of time for the Jets to get something in return.....Addition by subtraction.....:)

They should have had a clause which said 2nd rounder if signed before the draft or a 2010 1st rounder (or 2nd and 4th) if Vilma signed with the club at any point during the 2009 season. There should have been something there to force them to take him or leave him. Now they get to keep their pick and the player.

Just typical of how the Jets always set themselves:Nuts: up for these kind "loopholes". A 4 for Vilma at the start was a joke.

Perhaps, but that's an emotional reaction.

The reality is that he only had 1 year left on his contract (so there's a possibility of him being nothing more than a 1-year rental at MLB); he was coming off a season-ending knee injury that he was still rehabbing & not running on yet; and has a degenerative knee condition he was born with on top of that.

Then throw in that he was coming off back-to-back down seasons. Regardless of whether he was well-suited or poorly-suited for the 3-4, he mostly sucked from 06-07 even when healthy (though he clearly covers better than any of the lummoxes currently on the team).

The time to get good compensation for him without any creative if-this/then-that garbage was before the 2007 season started. At the time it should have been obvious that being a 3-4 ILB suits him horribly. It was only 1 (relatively) down-season & that was easy enough to write off as the scheme being the sole cause of it. He was healthy & (then) had 2 years left on his rookie deal for cheap dollars. At worst we would have received a 2nd-rounder with a decent possibility of a mid-late first rounder. So technically, the JETS rented Vilma for another season (which ended up being a half-season) & dropped from a 1st-2nd rounder to a 3rd-4th rounder.

Archived