YANKEES' SPENDING MAKES BASEBALL WORLD GO 'ROUND

NIGHT STALKER

Posted: 3:12 am

December 14, 2008

Joel Sherman, NY Post

I FEEL uncomfortable defending the New York Yankees . It is unpleasant to find myself on the same side as Hank Steinbrenner. It is distasteful to be making a case for why the organization with the biggest wallet uses it.

But listening to one baseball official after another complain at the Winter Meetings about the Yankees' massive spending is like listening to Cowboys officials act as if they were shocked that Pacman Jones got into more trouble or Terrell Owens can't keep his mouth shut.

These are the Yankees. This is what they do. Good economy, bad economy.

Nevertheless, let's ponder this question: What is more detrimental to baseball, that the Yankees gave a pitching-record contract to the 2007 AL Cy Young winner (CC Sabathia) and likely will have a lower payroll in 2009 than 2008, or that the Padres are working feverishly to trade the 2007 NL Cy Young winner (Jake Peavy) as yet another way to plummet their way to a $40 million payroll and irrelevance?

And, no, San Diego is not doing this to clear cap room for LeBron James in two years. It is doing this because its owner, John Moores, is going through a costly divorce. The Yankees are being criticized because they continue to try to win, and not a word is spoken that the Padres already have surrendered for at least 2009-10.

OK, that doesn't do it for you? Let me paint this scenario: On Oct. 1, you are told the Yankees will not be going after Sabathia. That only the other 29 teams can sign him. You know that the largest pitching contract ever is Johan Santana's six years at $137 million, and that it climbs to seven years at $157 million with a vesting option. Wouldn't you think Sabathia - as a complete free agent - would do better than Santana?

So why when the Yanks give Sabathia a seven-year, $161 million contract is it open season on the overdogs? That contract is a natural progression of the market. If the Angels gave it to Sabathia, would there be any discussion about it?

Yes, I have heard the Yankees bid against themselves. The only other known offer was Milwaukee's five-year, $100 million offer. So when the Yanks' proposal went from six years at $140 million (a drop over Santana's guarantee) to the $161 million, the criticism was that the Yanks went from $40 million more than anyone else to $61 million more than anyone else.

Except that is nonsense. If the Yankees were not involved, many more teams would have been, and the final deal would have been well north of $100 million. I will not criticize the Yanks for using a strength (money) to make such a power first offer that they prevented a field from forming to negotiate incrementally toward $140 million or more.

As for that final push to $161 million, it is still pretty darn close to Santana's option-included dollars. But even if you don't buy that, I believe it was still worth an extra $21 million spread over three years for the New York Yankees to:

1. Land the key to their offseason, which essentially unlocked the Yankees winter, and 2. Motivate the Yankees fan base.

Look at it this way, say the Yanks had signed Sabathia for that $140 million and decided concurrently to spend an additional $21 million over seven years in advertising, no one would have said a word. Signing Sabathia before Christmas is pretty good advertising. Heck, no one is critical that while many front offices are in cut mode, the small-market Pirates are hiring a bunch of sales/promotion people to sell Paul Maholm and Nate McLouth. If you don't have a problem with that, why have a problem with the Yanks spending

$3 million more a year to boost their team-owned network while assuring better ticket/merchandise/etc sales?

As for the A.J. Burnett bidding, the Braves had been right there dollar for dollar with the Yankees. Like the Yankees, Atlanta had a sizeable chunk of salaries removed from their payroll and is looking to reinvest those dollars. Do you have a problem with the Braves? If not, why do you have it with the Yankees?

I know, because they can just outbid anybody. True. It also is true that in the era in which the Yanks have spent this way, baseball has become more - not less - popular.

It also is true that the Yanks are the mother lode to the industry: More than $105 million combined in revenue sharing/luxury tax is distributed from the Yanks to other clubs. And though the 30 teams share equally in items such as merchandise sales, MLB.com dollars, and rights fees for radio, TV and international media, does anyone believe there are as many Kansas City Royals jerseys sold as those of the Yankees?

In other words, much of the sport gladly takes the massive dollars generated by the star-driven Yankees with one hand, and then slaps the Yanks with the other hand when the Yanks purchase more stars.

Also, just in case you haven't noticed, money does not buy championships. The Rays really did win the AL East and pennant with the AL's lowest payroll. The Yanks haven't won it all since 2000, and what they found is those big contracts to Jason Giambi types make even the Yanks grow old and inflexible.

So while you are doing that familiar rant about the Yankees destroying baseball - despite all recent evidence strongly stating the contrary is true - keep in mind that in 2011, the Yanks are very likely to have Sabathia, Alex Rodriguez , Jorge Posada and probably Derek Jeter creaking around at exorbitant dollars.

Thus the Yankees - whether their critics can ever accept this or not - probably again bought some short-term happiness and long-term misery this past week.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLB needs the Yankees. No doubt about it. I think the whining is typical for this time of year. I think the straw that broke the camels back was the Yankees/Mets requests for more money to fund infrastructure improvements.

I believe the Yankees funded a majority of their endeavor. However, asking for money at the same time you drop nearly a quarter of a billion dollars on two players is just bad timing.

MLB needs the Yankees. No doubt about it. I think the whining is typical for this time of year. I think the straw that broke the camels back was the Yankees/Mets requests for more money to fund infrastructure improvements.

I believe the Yankees funded a majority of their endeavor. However, asking for money at the same time you drop nearly a quarter of a billion dollars on two players is just bad timing.

I "believe" the Mets simply went back and asked for the reaming cash that they did not take that was part of the initial offer. They attempted to come in under budget and were wrong.

I "believe" the Mets simply went back and asked for the reaming cash that they did not take that was part of the initial offer. They attempted to come in under budget and were wrong.

Still poor timing.

Financial crisis around the holidays and you are dropping millions of dollars on FAs.

So the Yankees are supposed to cross their arms and sign no one ? Please. Enough of the economical blues.
That's what noted economist Mike Lupica thinks. In a week it's announced that the Wilpons were swindled out of half a billion dollars, the Yankees are why baseball's economy is a mess. Read this if you want to see total delusional stupidity.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/columnists/lupica/index.html

Still poor timing.

Financial crisis around the holidays and you are dropping millions of dollars on FAs.

This is baseball, what would you rather the Yanks do...nothing?

They have to be aggressive and sign players. They can afford it, even in these sh*tty economic times. You're just a HATER-- a whiny baby upset because his team isnt making any newsworthy moves.

This is baseball, what would you rather the Yanks do...nothing?

They have to be aggressive and sign players. They can afford it, even in these sh*tty economic times. You're just a HATER!

If it were his team doing the signing, he would be the first one defending Larry the gangster and his band of mafiosos.

I kind of find it funny that the Boston Red Sox spend over 51 million dollars to just talk to a pitcher from Japan, yet no one says a thing about it, but here come the big bad New York Yankees spending all this money, and they're wrong for wanting to be a better team.

Now now, we don't want to discuss that. Did you forget that they are now a small market team hurting for money ? :rl:

Do you think the Mess have overpaid for a closer

Between Wags and FRod, what are they paying $25 Mill?

Jeez, and you think the Yanks overpay:rolleyes:

I don't pay attention to fans of other teams that complain about the amount of money the Yanks pay...they wish their teams would go out and spend the money to at least try and put a competitive team on the field each and every year.

They are either lying or delusional if they say otherwise.

Do you think the Mess have overpaid for a closer

Between Wags and FRod, what are they paying $25 Mill?

Jeez, and you think the Yanks overpay:rolleyes:

I have no problem with the money that the Yanks paid CC. Never said that, and that is the price of getting business done. They have the revenue stream.

I wonder why they had to outbid only themselves, but I guess that is what it took CC to want to be a Yankee.

Ansky was one that said that the Yankees should have stopped at the original bid, or let CC walk (or waddle).

The Mets actually waited on FRod, and got him for less than he wanted, and at 3 years. They actually let the market come to them.

It is a lot to pay as well, regardless. That is what baseball has become though, have and have nots unfortunately

I have no problem with the money that the Yanks paid CC. Never said that, and that is the price of getting business done. They have the revenue stream.

I wonder why they had to outbid only themselves, but I guess that is what it took CC to want to be a Yankee.

Ansky was one that said that the Yankees should have stopped at the original bid, or let CC walk (or waddle).

The Mets actually waited on FRod, and got him for less than he wanted, and at 3 years. They actually let the market come to them.

It is a lot to pay as well, regardless. That is what baseball has become though, have and have nots unfortunately

Adter Wilpon found out he'd been swindled out of half a billion and bankrupt Citibank wasn't going to pony up for "Citifield", the Mets didn't have much choice.

I'll care about other teams whining about the Yankees spending money when they refuse the revenue sharing, like that cutrate outfit in KC that owns that little grocery

store called Walmart. What really pisses them off now is that the Yankees looked at the rules and figured out they could take the revenue sharing cash and get a new stadium, so the Pirates, Red, Royals, and Marlins won't be getting those big ass checks form the Bronx this year.

Adter Wilpon found out he'd been swindled out of half a billion and bankrupt Citibank wasn't going to pony up for "Citifield", the Mets didn't have much choice.

I'll care about other teams whining about the Yankees spending money when they refuse the revenue sharing, like that cutrate outfit in KC that owns that little grocery

store called Walmart. What really pisses them off now is that the Yankees looked at the rules and figured out they could take the revenue sharing cash and get a new stadium, so the Pirates, Red, Royals, and Marlins won't be getting those big ass checks form the Bronx this year.

Citi still has to pay for the naming rights, that hasn't changed.

CC wanted to play on the West Coast. This wasn't about individual teams. It isn't like it too extra convincing to get him to play for the Yankees. It took the extra to get him to play on the east coast.

Now if it was the Mets that were interested, there may have been some concerns about the team. That wasn't the case here though.

CC wanted to play on the West Coast. This wasn't about individual teams. It isn't like it too extra convincing to get him to play for the Yankees. It took the extra to get him to play on the east coast.

Now if it was the Mets that were interested, there may have been some concerns about the team. That wasn't the case here though.

And it took 20 more million convincing on a deal that did not have peer, and a 3 year opt out.

mets were not involved at all, so no point bringing them up.

And it took 20 more million convincing on a deal that did not have peer, and a 3 year opt out.

mets were not involved at all, so no point bringing them up.

Yes it took more money to get him to play on the east coast. Not sure why you are having a hard time understanding this. They made it more appealing to him to get him to pick a coast that wasn't his first choice.

Yes it took more money to get him to play on the east coast. Not sure why you are having a hard time understanding this. They made it more appealing to him to get him to pick a coast that wasn't his first choice.

And wasn't it YOU who said that at over 140 million, it becomes problematic for future salary expansion of the Yankees team? I seem to recall that.

My typical approach, from a management perspective, is that if you have to pay someone more $$ to come work for you than a competitoir, that is not a person I want on my team.

That may or may not be the case with CC and teh Yanks. But jsut a perspective.

And wasn't it YOU who said that at over 140 million, it becomes problematic for future salary expansion of the Yankees team? I seem to recall that.

My typical approach, from a management perspective, is that if you have to pay someone more $$ to come work for you than a competitoir, that is not a person I want on my team.

That may or may not be the case with CC and teh Yanks. But jsut a perspective.

Yes I believe that with CC and AJ the Yankees are setting themselves up with no room for error. If these guys miss there will be very little wiggle room.

Not sure how that matters to this conversation though. The Yankees obviously felt CC was worth the money and that is what they did.

Yes I believe that with CC and AJ the Yankees are setting themselves up with no room for error. If these guys miss there will be very little wiggle room.

Not sure how that matters to this conversation though. The Yankees obviously felt CC was worth the money and that is what they did.

I have little doubt that the Yankees felt he was worth the money. There was no gun to their head.

This is a forum, and we were talking fan perspectives, and I remember you stating that Yankees going over 140 mill on CC would be a bad move. That is all.

It is still ok to cheer him.

I have little doubt that the Yankees felt he was worth the money. There was no gun to their head.

This is a forum, and we were talking fan perspectives, and I remember you stating that Yankees going over 140 mill on CC would be a bad move. That is all.

It is still ok to cheer him.

Thanks for your permission. That means a lot to me.

Archived