Peter King's top 15...and you're right, no Jets

NIGHT STALKER

1. Pittsburgh (11-3). A change at the top. To beat the Pats on the road, the Cowboys at home and the Ravens in Baltimore in 15 days -- no matter how bizarre the circumstances -- is the mark of a very good team. By the way, Pittsburgh has six lives left, having used three of them to beat Baltimore, Dallas and San Diego.

2. New York Giants (11-3). They might be fifth right now. The offense looks like it did last year around this time in ugly losses to the Vikes and Redskins. In the past two games, covering 19 drives, New York has one meaningless garbage-time TD drive and two field goals. And if Kareem McKenzie, the right tackle, is hurt, there goes the chemistry of a line that's played together since Mastodons roamed the earth. And one last piece of good news: Eli Manning's a 50-percent passer in the past two weeks.

3. Carolina (11-3). The reborn DeAngelo Williams in Carolina's 6-1 run: 814 rushing yards, 12 touchdowns.

4. Baltimore (9-5). There are tears all over downtown Baltimore this morning. But the loss, disputed though it was, doesn't altogether dim the Ravens' playoff hopes. Baltimore would win a tiebreaker with New England for the Wild Card spot if they both finish 11-5 or 10-6 behind Indianapolis.

5. Tennessee (12-2). "You've got to peak at the right time in the NFL,'' said our NBC stats maven, Elliott Kalb, last night. Truer words were never spoken about December football, and when Kyle Vanden Bosch didn't suit up yesterday in Houston, and when Kerry Collins started to look his age, and when Albert Haynesworth walked off the field gingerly with what appeared to be a knee sprain in the fourth quarter, you started to get the feeling that the Tennessee team that so dominated through 11 weeks might be getting too beat up to do the same in January.

6. Philadelphia (7-5-1). I'll bet you $1,000 that Donovan McNabb howled uproariously over the T.O. hijinks last week. Several times.

7. Dallas (9-5). Great win by some proud men. I don't expect the Terrell Owens unhappiness to stay under the surface long, however. It never does.

8. Indianapolis (10-4). Tony Dungy's such a good person, and so nice to his former prot

What did you expect?

For 57+ minutes they were losing to the Bills, for crying out loud. They had no first downs in the 4th quarter with the game on the line. They needed a once-in-a-lifetime miracle to beat a team out of the playoff hunt.

We have played ONE complete game all year, against Tennessee. We have lost to Oakland, SF, barely beat KC, got crushed by SD. No one is going to put a team like that in the top 20, no less 15.

If you want to be mad at someone, get mad at the coaching staff, which, IMHO, has no clue.

New England at 9 is a joke. They lost another LB yesterday in addition to Matt Light. The Defense is actually sad. It's not even funny anymore, it's just sad. Without question, it is the coaching that is keeping them "competitive." The Raiders have mailed it in. I honestly think Detroit would beat them soundly.

Maybe King was giving Matt Cassel a sympathy vote here?

1. Pittsburgh (11-3). A change at the top. To beat the Pats on the road, the Cowboys at home and the Ravens in Baltimore in 15 days -- no matter how bizarre the circumstances -- is the mark of a very good team. By the way, Pittsburgh has six lives left, having used three of them to beat Baltimore, Dallas and San Diego.

Hopefully that'll leave us just enough lives left for a SB run. lol

New England at 9 is a joke. They lost another LB yesterday in addition to Matt Light. The Defense is actually sad. It's not even funny anymore, it's just sad. Without question, it is the coaching that is keeping them "competitive." The Raiders have mailed it in. I honestly think Detroit would beat them soundly.

Maybe King was giving Matt Cassel a sympathy vote here?

Yes i hate Bill Bellichick. Yes i think he's an arrogant rat. But that guy is a great coach. This season has shown us just how great at adjusting the team to injuries and such he really is.

My only question would be how the Pats would fare against a tougher schedule.

Yes i hate Bill Bellichick. Yes i think he's an arrogant rat. But that guy is a great coach. This season has shown us just how great at adjusting the team to injuries and such he really is.

My only question would be how the Pats would fare against a tougher schedule.

I 'dunno. 8-8? I had them going 8-8 after Brady went down, truth be told.

After watching a lot of games yesterday - as well as all season long - I have concluded:

The only team out there that may have it all - or is consistent on both sides of the ball most of the time - is Carolina. If they remain healthy - they should be the team to beat.

Any team (except Pats, Tenn, Denver) in the AFC could respresent in the SB. Every team is flawed one way or the other. To me, Tenn, Pats and Den have flaws they will not be able to overcome. Pitt has a great defense and a mediocre QB at best, the running game 'aint all that - let's just say I think the offense is the weakness. Baltimore - same story, although their offense may be the most enemic of all. Jets - a very inconsistent team on both sides of the ball. Phins - they do enough to win. No clue how this is happening. Indy - Sanders is back and Manning is a seasoned vet and the best QB in the league. Defense got better - but still not good.

After watching a lot of games yesterday - as well as all season long - I have concluded:

The only team out there that may have it all - or is consistent on both sides of the ball most of the time - is Carolina. If they remain healthy - they should be the team to beat.

Any team (except Pats, Tenn, Denver) in the AFC could respresent in the SB. Every team is flawed one way or the other. To me, Tenn, Pats and Den have flaws they will not be able to overcome. Pitt has a great defense and a mediocre QB at best, the running game 'aint all that - let's just say I think the offense is the weakness. Baltimore - same story, although their offense may be the most enemic of all. Jets - a very inconsistent team on both sides of the ball. Phins - they do enough to win. No clue how this is happening. Indy - Sanders is back and Manning is a seasoned vet and the best QB in the league. Defense got better - but still not good.

Monsieur Del Homme will choke away a playoff game..bank on it..

Gints should not have gotten rid of Plex...4 games suspension was enuff

without him ..their O is just ordinary..beating them in NY will be tough.

I will still say Gints vs Pitt in SB and edge may flow to Pitt now

Good post. Even though Detroit gave them a game yesterday, i fear the Colts the most. Great defense can carry us a long way but at some point i'll need my O to step up and score in the 20's or so to pull one out. I just don't see it out of my offense yet. But if my D keeps us close i trust Ben in the clutch.

I like Carolina as well in the NFC. Delhomme and Steve Smith combined with 2 good young RB's spells trouble for the NFC field imo.

I think we are in store for a GREAT playoffs this year. I've been thinking all season too that some supposed middle of the pack team is gonna get hot and get themselves a SB title for some odd reason. That seems to be the trend these days.

Archived